To think that I can't drink any alcohol at all?

(13 Posts)
Patheticfallacy Sat 06-Aug-16 21:01:26

I don't drink very often at all these days. The last time I was drunk was before Christmas. I am mostly teetotal but I have had the odd glass of wine from time to time.
I have depression and anxiety and I am taking a low dose of sertraline. Last night I went to a wedding and had a gin and tonic before we went and another two or three at the wedding. I didn't feel drunk and came home at midnight, had a cuppa and watched a film. Today I feel horrendously anxious and inexplicably low. Could it be the alcohol? I know if I drank a lot I would feel very down, but I didn't think a few drinks at a wedding would be enough to make me feel so rubbish. I think I'll happily give up alcohol if that's the case. Tbh I would be relieved if that's causing it, as at least there's a reason I feel so bloody awful tonight! AIBU to think even smallish amounts of alcohol could be making me depressed?

Heratnumber7 Sat 06-Aug-16 21:03:28

Well alcohol is a depressant, yes. 4 gins is a fair amount, so it could be that.

Haggisfish Sat 06-Aug-16 21:05:21

It could be. Gin makes me hideously maudlin and morose though. Try vodka instead?

PotteringAlong Sat 06-Aug-16 21:05:37

I think gin especially can have a depressive impact, although I don't know why.

Patheticfallacy Sat 06-Aug-16 21:05:43

I didn't feel like I'd had that much, I guess as it was over quite a number of hours, but I guess it is a fair amount really. I just feel very bleak today! It's just not worth drinking.

StandoutMop Sat 06-Aug-16 21:06:19

Isn't gin supposed to be a depressive, above and beyond its alcohol content? Not sure if that's fact, or just old wives tale though.

If drinking makes you feel worse and you are happy to go without, then it makes perfect sense to give up.

CatsAndCocktails Sat 06-Aug-16 21:06:41

Four gins would make me feel horrific the following day as well. Especially after being predominantly teetotal.

Patheticfallacy Sat 06-Aug-16 21:07:13

Ah that's interesting about gin. Maybe it could be. I avoid wine if I'm ever out as I find it too strong, but gin obviously does not agree with me! I do feel maudlin.

PansOnFire Sat 06-Aug-16 21:14:37

I'd agree with gin making you feel a lot worse than most other drinks, I can't give you any factual evidence as to why but before I started with anxiety and depression gin made me feel horrific, as did vodka. Vodka gave me a paranoid feeling for about 24 hrs after.

I started on cetirizine last year and the last time I tried to have a drink everything was magnified by about 10 - 1 drink made me feel like I'd downed a bottle of wine, I felt horrific about 2 hours afterwards which included everything I'd feel with a normal hangover and then the next day I felt so down and paranoid. I'd agree and say the medication and anxiety/depression are definitely at work. I haven't had a drink since then and I don't really miss it, I hate the 'down' days as they seem to set me back with being positive and the day after having a drink is always a down day. The fewer I can have of those the better.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Theydontknowweknowtheyknow Sat 06-Aug-16 21:20:28

That's why they call it "Mother's ruin". In Vicky times it was famous for its depressant properties and mothers' addiction to it.

At least you're not chucking your baby into the Thames!

SellFridges Sat 06-Aug-16 21:23:05

It's the tonic that makes you feel a bit weird I thought. Something to do with the quinine?

gingerboy1912 Sat 06-Aug-16 21:26:26

Gin makes you cry and feel down is what I was always told. No idea why. But I have anxiety and depression and am on high dose of sertraline and a late night along with any heightened emotions with alcohol will give me a really low tearful day the next day.

Patheticfallacy Sat 06-Aug-16 21:27:34

Yes I've had a late night and probably didn't sleep well. I bet I'll feel better in the morning. I'll avoid gin in future though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now