Partner working away

(10 Posts)
MermaidTears Sat 06-Aug-16 06:30:29

My dp works in management of types of events, (being vague) he has been been offered a job over in Dubai, which is roughly one month on, one month off, (which I find a bizarre schedule in itself?) Anyway, he really wants to go for it, it would be the next step up the ladder, lots of perks, a few free holidays for us, plus more money. I just cannot get my head around it, is anyone else in a similar situation and how did you adjust/cope being alone with DC ? Thanks.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Sat 06-Aug-16 06:36:20

You need to speak to the oartners if fisherman and merchant sailors.. They live a similar existence of hone away home away home ....

I would not want to live like that.
Oh, and do be careful about the tax..How do you bring the money back into the UK? does he pay tax in Dubai and then again in the UK? Or would the money have to stay abroad...

PuppyMonkeyBaby Sat 06-Aug-16 06:39:18

I've answered the other thread you started.
He won't pay tax in Dubai but I'm pretty sure his income will be taxed in the UK.

MermaidTears Sat 06-Aug-16 06:41:35

I have no idea about the money issue, something to question. He works for a big company so I suppose they would be there to assist with that.

PuppyMonkeyBaby Sat 06-Aug-16 06:43:29

It depends where he will be paid into. If it's a UAE bank then he will not be taxed. I don't know how you fare bringing money into the UK though (we never had to do it) so I can't say what the tax implications are there.

mellongoose Sat 06-Aug-16 06:43:54

If there's absolute trust and he's doing it for the good of the family then why not? Yes it would take some adjustments but it can totally work.

Embrace the time to yourself and equally cherish the times he's home.

MermaidTears Sat 06-Aug-16 06:46:29

I've encouraged him go go for it, it would definitely be for good reason. Just a case of adapting I suppose. After twelve years of us not really ever spending a night apart (it's just never come up before, not because we are two lovesick puppies wink ). We're going for it.

PuppyMonkeyBaby Sat 06-Aug-16 06:53:04

You'll manage, and if you struggle you can always come on here for support - there are plenty of us with OHs who work away for long periods of time smile

MermaidTears Sat 06-Aug-16 06:54:41

Thanks puppy

judgeaway Sat 06-Aug-16 06:58:10

My dh does 4 weeks away 2 weeks home.
I actually find it harder when he's home as he disrupts my routinegrin.
It does affect the dc but not too much they just get use to it.
If your relationship is strong you'll be finesmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now