Advanced search

to change my DS's middle name?

(9 Posts)
verytiredmummy1 Fri 05-Aug-16 17:45:12

Trivial I know.

Without putting in too much detail so not identified:

I gave my newborn DS a middle name of my Grandad who is no longer with us. Since this, I've been told some not such nice things about my grandad and I've been upset by them.

AIBU to remove his name from my DSs name? Is it easy to have this done or am I just being stupid as middle names aren't really used anyway?!

MrsBobDylan Fri 05-Aug-16 17:53:48

I heard some shit things about my Gran years after she died, fortunately I hadn't used her name!

I would change it since your son is still a newborn.

Northernparent68 Fri 05-Aug-16 17:56:19

Well it depends on your sons age, if he is a baby or toddler he won't know his middle name, but if he's any older then his name is part of his identity.

I appreciate you re upset, but bear in mind the stories about your grandfather might not be true.

FlibbertigibbetArmadillo Fri 05-Aug-16 18:01:19

You won't be able to change his birth certificate unless he is still very young. I cam understand your wanting too though.
Is it a common name so you can find another more positive connotation and convince yourself that's who you named him for?

verytiredmummy1 Fri 05-Aug-16 18:36:20

Thank you for your replies.
Stories are true. My dad decided to wait until a while after my grandads death to tell me. Why on earth he let me use my grandads name first I don't know!!
My DS is newborn so don't need to worry too much about identity luckily.

Does anyone know how easy it is to change middle name?
Will he now forever need to put this middle name on forms when it says 'known by any other name'?

verytiredmummy1 Fri 05-Aug-16 18:37:08

*'previously known by any other name'

thedragonflyinn Fri 05-Aug-16 18:41:16

If you live in Scotland it's relatively easy-you need to apply to the national records of Scotland. If you apply before your DS turns one, no mention will be made of his former name on his BC. Changes made after the age of one will be recorded on the BC. Not sure about the English/Welsh procedure though.

Itscurtainsforyou Fri 05-Aug-16 18:42:54

If under 1 year old I believe you just have to fill in a form and you get an amended birth certificate.

ACatastrophicMisintepretation Fri 05-Aug-16 18:54:33

I changed my sons name a few months ago (when he was 6months old), it's really easy. Contact registration office (I'm in England) they send you out a form, fill it in and send back and then you just need to pay for a new long birth certificate if you want one. Basically it's exactly the same as the original certificate but there is a box at bottom that says something like "names given after registration" and the new name is down there!

I'm not sure if you have to declare a previous name in future life, I'm just going to tell my son what his name is now as I don't think those first few months under another guise matter too much.

You have up to when the baby is one to do it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now