Talk

Advanced search

To ask for suggestions on what to get her?

(20 Posts)
Lasagna Fri 05-Aug-16 15:07:08

DS2 girlfriends birthday is next week and I've not a clue what to buy her.

She will be 17, so not a big birthday.

I don't particularly like her, we are having a lot of issues with her, but I know not getting her something is not an option and would just create a huge fuss. I didn't get DS1s girlfriend anything for her 19th a few months back and although she didn't seem to mind Ds2 has made it clear that both him and his girlfriend will be upset if I do the same for her.

I've asked DS what she might like but he's already brought everything she asked him for. Me and DS1s girlfriend had an idea but decided against it as she would probably assume it was just making a dig at her.

Captainkanga Fri 05-Aug-16 15:10:01

What about a soap and glory giftset or maybe nails inc if she's into that sort of thing?

Accessorize have some nice bits in at the minute.

How much are you looking to spend?

HoneyBadgers Fri 05-Aug-16 15:11:59

Would DS1's girlfriend be upset if you got this girl a present after you did nothing for her birthday? You don't want to upset DS1 if you actually do like his girlfriend by buying something for the one you don't like!

For a 17yr old could you just get her vouchers? Most 17 year olds are likely to be picky about anything like clothes, jewellery or make up so just bung some vouchers for someone she likes in a card? Can't be taken the wrong way and you don't have to go to too much trouble for it.

Lasagna Fri 05-Aug-16 15:16:24

No I don't think she will be too upset, she's quite grown up about it. I was actually going to buy something but a few weeks after as money was tight around her birthday but never got round to it. I brought it up a few weeks ago and she told me not to worry anymore and she understands. I've brought her plenty of nice things when it's not even her birthday, more than k have the other girl.

Lovey suggestions, thank you.

Heidibb Fri 05-Aug-16 15:17:46

Just wondering what the present is that she might think is having a dig at her? hmm

If you don't like her much then don't go out of your way finding things she likes. Just put a tenner in a card. smile

Lasagna Fri 05-Aug-16 15:23:47

She also doesn't wear make up, just thought I'd add that. A soap and glory gift set sounds like a sensible option though, she also has one of those gel nail kits so perhaps some polishes. I really don't know as she is fussy.

heidibb Good idea and I would do that but I don't think they'd be too happy. Same with vouchers, I think they actually want a present to give. It was one of this OTT Unicorn phone cases(I'll attach a pic) Ds1s girlfriend has one and when ds2s girlfriend first saw it she cried to my son about it because "it's not fair". She likes unicorns too confused ???? but only has a phone case with a picture on it rather than a big case that is a unicorn. She's a spoilt brat basically.

Lasagna Fri 05-Aug-16 15:25:15

Like this one.

Mollypollywolly Fri 05-Aug-16 15:29:29

Why don't you just get it for her anyway? If you like her why bother about what she thinks about digs or what not?

Nail vanish or gift sets sound good.

I usually take my daughter and my sons girlfriends out to town around their birthday. Therefore they can chose things they like and I just pay and then we have lunch together, so along with presents we have a nice girly day too.

ChicagoDoll Fri 05-Aug-16 15:30:04

Get her the unicorn case

mydietstartsmonday Fri 05-Aug-16 15:33:41

Get her the unicorn phone case.....I don't thing she will thing it is a dig (but who knows)...

HoneyBadgers Fri 05-Aug-16 15:33:44

Definitely get her the unicorn case grin

Lasagna Fri 05-Aug-16 15:35:42

If it was just her thinking we were having a dig I'd think whatever doesn't matter but she would create a huge fuss and my son would be upset with me. Also she might not want it if the other girlfriend has it. Bit matchy matchy twins haha. Although I was planning on getting a different colour than the girlfriend already has.

Lasagna Fri 05-Aug-16 15:36:36

Okay, maybe I'll get it for her then along with a gift set. Then it might not be so bad. grin

Heidibb Fri 05-Aug-16 15:42:52

I wouldn't think twice about getting the case, I would even do it just to have a dig tbh. grin But I'm just that type of person.

Then if she kicks up a fuss and thinks you were taking the piss out of her then just say "well you can obviously see you was acting like a spoilt toddler when other girlfriend had one then"

But yes, anyway, get it for her but something along side it. My BILs girlfriend loves soap and glory, like seriously is obsessed with all their products, you can get a small one for less than a fiver in boots? Would link it but don't know how. Haha.

Kungfupandaworksout16 Fri 05-Aug-16 15:46:23

Tbf, I wouldn't be having my child holding me to ransom over who I buy birthday gifts for. I'd let the little diva throw her Mariah carey tantrum. If I received a birthday gift because the giver was made, I wouldn't enjoy the present and feel crappy.

Kungfupandaworksout16 Fri 05-Aug-16 15:47:32

Maybe buy a hideous present grin
Won't be in a rush to demand another present.
Although side note, I'd curb her antics now because if you start bowing down so early on, it will be hell a few years down the line.

Crunchymum Fri 05-Aug-16 15:47:35

Ds2 has made it clear that both him and his girlfriend will be upset if I do the same for her.

Let me guess why you are having issues with this girl shock

Lasagna Fri 05-Aug-16 15:54:50

crunchymum Oh I'm sure it's impossible to guess isn't it 🤔😂

Tbh it's not worth the tantrums and arguments, he hasn't said in so many words that I have to get a present or else. He said to me "mum, you are getting X something for her birthday aren't you?" I told him I wasn't sure arm, I'm not sure what she wants and I'm not too happy with how she's been acting and he told me he thinks she'll be really upset and think I don't like her anymore if I don't get even a small something.

Roussette Fri 05-Aug-16 16:07:26

Blimey. I don't buy my DC's bfs and gfs presents. Especially at that age. They would possibly be onto the next one by the time I thought about it. If they happened to be in our house near their birthday and I knew that in advance, I might buy a small token gift but apart from that, no. I find it quite weird doing this TBH. And I also wouldn't be dictated to by a 17yo telling me to do this.

Lasagna Fri 05-Aug-16 16:24:09

I doubt it with my boys. The 17 year old has been with his girlfriend since the were 14 and the 19 year old with his for almost 2 years so they have become part of the family now. I also did know in advance as he asked me if I was getting something but also, this would be the 3rd birthday she has since knowing us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now