Talk

Advanced search

To want to uber it to work every day?

(32 Posts)
TheWorriedTalrus Fri 05-Aug-16 00:13:48

Discuss.

Would take half an hour, I live in London. Can't really happen but would be great...

WorraLiberty Fri 05-Aug-16 00:17:21

No point in ordering us to discuss it then really...

RainIsAGoodThing Fri 05-Aug-16 00:19:07

It would be frustrating. You'd get caught in traffic and it would take longer than the tube.

TheWorriedTalrus Fri 05-Aug-16 00:20:35

Sorry worra was only joking!

It's actually a tenner each way which would be great! I would definitely do it if I lived with someone else on same commute smile

Just wondering if anyone does actually do this??

MountainDweller Fri 05-Aug-16 00:26:17

YANBU

A long time ago I had a job where the commute was 20 mins by car and 1hr 15 mins by train and bus with 2 changes. I didn't drive (I do now). I took a taxi to work and back almost every day (occasionally was offered a lift) because it was SO worth it to get the two hours extra a day for myself. Yes I was lucky I could afford it.

Go for it!

purplefox Fri 05-Aug-16 01:07:59

Is there anyone at work that lives near you who you could split the fare with?

RhiWrites Fri 05-Aug-16 07:28:18

At over three and a half grand a year I'd save my money for something more exciting than a taxi with a silly name.

TheoriginalLEM Fri 05-Aug-16 07:35:59

what are you even talking about?

icanteven Fri 05-Aug-16 07:44:59

It actually makes sense for me to take the children to school by taxi.

They're a bit small to walk/scoot it, too shall to cycle it, the bus station is a 15 minute walk & gets them there 20 minutes too early and our tickets would be £4 for the three of us.

For £5, I can take a taxi & walk home, saving them the walk to the station & having to get up 40 mins earlier.

We're giving in and getting a car this Autumn.

LapinR0se Fri 05-Aug-16 07:46:10

I take an uber to work every day and it's great. Saves me 35 mins of buses

eddielizzard Fri 05-Aug-16 07:55:05

my sister doesn't have a car. she ubers everywhere.

Amelie10 Fri 05-Aug-16 07:56:39

DH has done that for the last 5 years, a combination of black cabs and now uber. It takes him under 10 min to work rather than the 30-40 min on the tube. Yanbu.

Trills Fri 05-Aug-16 07:57:33

For me I don't think it would be noticeably quicker than getting the bus. Cars aren't allowed to use bus lanes.

plimsolls Fri 05-Aug-16 08:01:44

I've been doing it for the last few weeks. I'm heavily pregnant and can't face the morning commute. It's lovely (and I get things done on the way in!).

It's usually about £10 for the 20 minute uber and probably about £7ish for my 1 hour walk/tube/train/walk commute, so not technically much more money for a much better journey (although obviously the tube/train fare would go towards the maximum Oyster charge of a full days travel so value for money depends what I'm doing after work).

scarednoob Fri 05-Aug-16 08:07:21

Must admit I Addison Lee most days (there, not back) which is about £20. The tube is just such a shit start to the day blush

PeachBellini123 Fri 05-Aug-16 08:28:01

I've not tried it but could Uber pool? You share the car with someone else and I think split the fare (something like that). I've used Uber when working late. Feels safer and far more convinent than the nightbus!

Euphemia Fri 05-Aug-16 08:49:38

Really interesting Guardian article about Uber here.

picklypopcorn Fri 05-Aug-16 09:12:24

YANBU to want to, YABVVVU to use "Uber" as a verb hmm

GladAllOver Fri 05-Aug-16 09:16:30

I agree pickly. It's uber used.

Euphemia Fri 05-Aug-16 09:17:48

Nouns are very commonly turned into verbs, though. What's the problem?

hotdiggedy Fri 05-Aug-16 09:19:36

I suppose it depends how much you earn, what you need to spend your money on etc. I used to have a 1 hour door to door journey to walk involving setting off before 7am, walking to the bus, waiting for bus that was always late, walking from bus to work for about 25 mins of a very brisk walk. It was awful. Constantly rushing and ended up damaging one of my feet with all the walking. The journey would have taken abut 15 to 20 mins in a car. I would have loved to have been able to take a taxi every day but i would probably feel guilty at the cost so maybe limit myself to terrible weather and then twice a week!

PinkyPlumet Fri 05-Aug-16 11:28:34

Lighten up worra!

TheWorriedTalrus Fri 05-Aug-16 13:03:19

Great points! It's my first job and current commit would be walk/bus - tube - walk, taking about an hour all in. Might save the uber for special occasions or the odd day when I'm too tired to contemplate the long walk...

I have looked into uber pool but sadly no-one from my area is taking a similar route!

RhiWrites - a bit less than that as I would be taking it max 5 days a week for about 46 weeks a year (less with bank hols)... So about £2300? But of course not every day. Also that is still a huge amount of money so would prefer to spend it on something more sensible!

RhiWrites Fri 05-Aug-16 14:58:31

Oops, yes, I didn't calculate for weekends! Still though, as you say, £2,300 is heaps!

TheWorriedTalrus Fri 05-Aug-16 23:10:31

It cheers me up that there are others who do this though - I hate tube rush hour with a passion!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now