To think feeling numb and disconnected is going to be as good as it gets?

(6 Posts)
Throughautomaticdoors Thu 04-Aug-16 22:16:59

Having had awful PND since my daughter was born and taking anti depressants I've come to the conclusion this is going to be about the best I can hope for. I was driving earlier and went past a pub we've previously visited during other summers and enjoyed ourselves. A nice place with a good play area and lovely food where I've always looked forward to going. As I was driving past I realised even something small like that is lost to me now. I can't imagine ever enjoying anything, feeling relaxed or looking forward to anything ever again.

Dh said I'm being very pessimistic when I said I thought that feeling nothing much was probably about as good as it was ever going to get but I think that's genuinely true.

StealthPolarBear Thu 04-Aug-16 22:21:51

I hope not, and i don't believe it's the case.
I'm so sorry you feel like this. You should be able to enjoy life.
Please go back to your gp and say the medication you're currently on isn't working (has it had enough time?)
How ol is your dd

goddessoftheharvest Thu 04-Aug-16 22:25:28

I felt like this once. It was awful. People used to say it would get better, but I thought they were fools, and I was being coldly realistic.

They weren't wrong and neither was I. Things didn't magically resolve themselves, but my ability to cope with them increased, and as time went on, I changed and my situation changed and I stopped feeling like that. Half natural process, half thanks to tablets.

It's rotten though. I so desperately wanted to enjoy the world, and life, but I felt like I had to relearn how. You just have to keep going and keep going, even though you want to curl up under a duvet and sleep.

flowers

goddessoftheharvest Thu 04-Aug-16 22:26:23

I also agree that you need to see about getting on another type of tablet

Throughautomaticdoors Thu 04-Aug-16 22:26:32

Yes I've been taking it a while. It's just made me feel disconnected. So now I feel miserable but I also feel like it doesn't matter. Which doesn't make sense but that's the best way to explain it. Despondent.

My daughter is 7 months.

PacificDogwod Thu 04-Aug-16 22:29:57

In the gentlest possible way, YABU - you will feel better.
You will not forever feel as you do now.
I know that sounds impossible to believe, but it's true.
You need to keep going though, keep on trucking and trying to find things that help.
Yes, that might be a change of medication or counselling or both or a PND peer support group or taking up medication or exercise or a combination of the above or something I am not thinking of.

You are still not well.
There is every chance that you will recover and really enjoy things again.
Be very kind to yourself in the meantime thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now