Talk

Advanced search

"Serves 2" - Does it Fuck.

(181 Posts)
MarmiteMakesMeHappy Thu 04-Aug-16 19:27:11

Or are me and DH pigs? possibly, yes

About once a week, we have a 'ready meal'. Usually a 'naice' Waitrose/M&S/Charlie Binham type thing - so a Beef Sroganoff, Moussaka type thing.

There's never enough.

I am not sure if it's because we don't do 'starters' and 'pudding' on a Tuesday night, or stuff our faces with bread and olives first, but we are always left feeling a bit hungry and a bit ashamed that we want more.

Even when DD, 11 and I shared a Waitrose meal for 2 the other week, we weren't quite full so maybe I'm the pig

I have come to the conclusion that they probably do serve two, IF YOU'RE A HAMSTER.

Or is it just us?

hollyisalovelyname Thu 04-Aug-16 19:29:17

I agree OP.
I thought it was just our family and their big appetites. However it probably is the amount we should be eating smile

LifeInJeneral Thu 04-Aug-16 19:29:25

Serving suggestions are hilarious, I take them with a pinch of salt. And some bread. And butter.

IcaMorgan Thu 04-Aug-16 19:30:22

I regularly say the same thing and so does a friend so not just you

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Thu 04-Aug-16 19:30:54

I find this with birthday cakes.

Serves 8 - fucking liars.

It's a conspiracy, I tell you.

mamapants Thu 04-Aug-16 19:31:39

I haven't had a ready meal for years but did eat some one person ones as a student and just after having dd1 and they are tiny. Definitely not a real portion.
Side dishes might be the way to go.

Jezabella1 Thu 04-Aug-16 19:32:04

Pad it out with a massive salad and sometimes bread. Yanbu they're never enough.

Idliketobeabutterfly Thu 04-Aug-16 19:32:20

I thought they were a single portion..... And a 20 portion cake serves about eight or ten as a dessert.

upthegardenpath Thu 04-Aug-16 19:32:23

No way are you BU.
I can happily put away a moussaka for 2, from M&S, entirely on my own, on the evenings my OH is working a night shift.
What's more, i don't give a damn.
I scoff the lot.
Obviously I add some nice greens which I have steamed myself, as well.
Lush.

DinosaursRoar Thu 04-Aug-16 19:32:37

Sadly, what officially counts as a portion of something and what most people would plate up is very different - was a bit shocking a while ago when I weighed out some pasta to get a visual on what the portion being quoted for the "calories per portion" on the front of the packet meant. Most people would serve a lot more than that.

sadly, it probably is for 2. I'd assume you do need the starters and pudding to avoid being hungry (are you just having a main without the sides?), or get more.

MyBreadIsEggy Thu 04-Aug-16 19:32:40

DH and I had cheesecake for dessert the other night: "Serves 4"......yeah. Four starving sparrows maybe! hmm

Captainkanga Thu 04-Aug-16 19:32:48

Same here! I generally chuck in something along the lines of stuffed mushrooms and more carbs to bulk it out, but then me and DH are both piggies

toadgirl Thu 04-Aug-16 19:33:51

I never think it's enough, but then I look at the calories and they always surprise me how high they are. The food must be quite rich, so you don't get much bang for your buck, as it were.

KatharinaRosalie Thu 04-Aug-16 19:34:06

I'm in France, it's even worse here. I swear an average 'serves 1' portion is about spoonful and normal dinner for 2 serves 6-8. Explains why they're all skinny.

gamerchick Thu 04-Aug-16 19:36:12

Well they're a proper portion. We've lost sight of what a portion is imo. Maybe you're supposed to have a starter.

ARichVernacular Thu 04-Aug-16 19:37:08

Conversely, I got an M&S curry deal for £10 yesterday and it was way too much - two mains and three sides, even after a long active day we couldn't finish it.

MarmiteMakesMeHappy Thu 04-Aug-16 19:37:53

I almost always add a big salad or some veg (depending on what we are eating) but I just want to scoff the whole fucking thing and so does DH. I don't even pretend to give him a bigger portion than me because otherwise I'd wither away and die.

Playduh Thu 04-Aug-16 19:38:46

I came on here because I knew you were going to mention Charlie Bingham.

I reckon they serve two of you include a starter, pudding, cheese and a bottle of wine on the side.

Owllady Thu 04-Aug-16 19:39:12

I think the curry deals ate way too much too
And I think the serves two ones are fine smile

NoCapes Thu 04-Aug-16 19:39:55

Me & DP always get one that serves 4, and have sides and dessert blush
YANBU

Sparklesilverglitter Thu 04-Aug-16 19:40:33

You are not being unreasonable.

Me and dh have ready meals for dinner once a week when DH works late and me always need one each and we add either salad/ veg

Serves 2 😂

MarmiteMakesMeHappy Thu 04-Aug-16 19:43:06

You may be right.

I may need to up my game and do:

Starter
Sorbet to clean palate
Charlie Bingham Serves 2 with side of vegetables and garlic bread
Pudding
Full Cheese board
Plus
Wine
Water
and Petit Four

That might cut it.

MarmiteMakesMeHappy Thu 04-Aug-16 19:45:37

The first time I bought a Charlie Bingham thingy, I got the Chili Con Carne and Rice and bought one each because i didn't read the packaging properly. After we'd eaten it, DH said "that was actually surprisingly sufficient for a single serving" and I agreed that yes, I felt pretty full.

Then as I was throwing the packaging away I saw the 'serves 2' and our shame was complete. blush

AnotherPrickInTheWall Thu 04-Aug-16 19:49:43

I find the Waitrose curry deal for 2 serves 4. I seldom buy ready meals but I couldn't make that for £10.

ATrumpIsAFartCalledDonald Thu 04-Aug-16 19:50:46

I'm on the fence with this. I do think people have lost sight of what a 'normal' portion looks like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now