Talk

Advanced search

To not worry about iron on name labels/ ink stampers when I have a sharpie?

(24 Posts)
hippoherostandinghere Thu 04-Aug-16 14:10:08

I've seen a few adverts now for personalised iron on name labels and ink stampers for back to school but they seem to cost a fortune. For two stamps with my DC name and an inkpad it would cost £30. I've always just used a sharpie to write their names on all their belongings and it hasn't washed off yet.

So are these stamps really the bees knees and do I need them in my life? Or carry on with Sharpie?

MachiKoro Thu 04-Aug-16 14:15:16

I don't imagin e stamps would be any good on fabric.
Sew in woven labels are better.
Sharpies with wash out pretty quickly.

Cheerybigbottom Thu 04-Aug-16 14:22:09

Sharpie does wash out. I used Asda for labels, 50 iron on name labels for £5, 5 sets of shoe name labels for £3 including delivery. Only got shoe ones cos my boy is going into reception and in nursery the boys kept getting their shoes mixed up when they put wellies on.

sirfredfredgeorge Thu 04-Aug-16 14:23:26

sharpies didn't wash out through a year of reception.

Maybe we're just slatterns who don't wash the clothes enough though.

Sprink Thu 04-Aug-16 14:25:59

Sharpies all the way unless your children attend one of those private schools that not only insist on sewn labels but dictate their precise position. (Mercifully, mine do not.)

NewStartNewName Thu 04-Aug-16 14:27:59

I use permanent markers to labels the DCs school clothes - on the actual clothes not labels (inside the bottoms band of jumpers where it can't be seen). Hasn't faded at all and it can't be cut out like labels. Yes I may be slightly paranoid but sick of their clothes going walkies

Ellybellyboo Thu 04-Aug-16 14:33:04

I don't know about the stamps, but I found the iron on ones to be complete crap. They either peeled straight off or came unstuck in the wash

I use woven sew in ones. I whizz through on my sewing machine and don't find it takes very long.

I have used sharpies, but found they faded, and sort of smudged so that the names were unreadable.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 04-Aug-16 14:36:41

I've never know a sharpie to wash out I've always used them.

hippoherostandinghere Thu 04-Aug-16 14:53:18

I got some free iron on ones with DS uniform when he was in nursery and they were a total faff and half of them fell off so ever since that I've just wrote their names on.

GobblersKnob Thu 04-Aug-16 14:56:30

Sharpies are fab and that's what I used until I discovered the stick in ones which weld to labels in a scarily permanent way and are cheap and super quick.

Notso Thu 04-Aug-16 14:57:22

Sharpie is shit. It washed off my kids uniform after a month and off their lunch boxes in a week. They also 'bleed' if you try and write on a silky type washing label so you can't read the name anyway.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Thu 04-Aug-16 14:59:19

Those iron on fuckers come off in a hot wash.

I use a Sharpie too.

babbafishbabe Thu 04-Aug-16 15:00:27

We've got the stamp and 3 kids. Just get the surname on the stamp do only need one!!!

Sirzy Thu 04-Aug-16 15:00:30

I have stickers which can be used on anything from name tags 4 u. Means they can go on water bottles, book bag, random things that get sent into school. They wash well too so are ideal

babbafishbabe Thu 04-Aug-16 15:00:46

It doesn't wash out btw.

wornoutboots Thu 04-Aug-16 15:02:52

permanent sharpie here - written on the inside of the waist of jumpers and poloshirts, and the white bit inside the pockets as well as on the labels.

It doesn't wash off

GobblersKnob Thu 04-Aug-16 15:03:15

Iron on ones are awful, complete waste of time and far too much effort. I love to sew but draw the line at bloody nametags.

roomonmybroom Thu 04-Aug-16 15:06:20

carry on with your Sharpie, it is all I have ever used, it can fade a bit but has never washed out here.

OvO Thu 04-Aug-16 15:06:32

I use a sharpie too. It does blur a bit over time but I just re-do it.

I just write our surname so I can pass stuff onto my younger DS.

dementedpixie Thu 04-Aug-16 15:07:26

I like my iron on ones from mynamelabel and they don't come off in the wash. Sharpie bleeds on the label and ends up illegible

schbittery Thu 04-Aug-16 15:11:56

3 kids down I am with you on the sharpies!

MothertotheLordsofmisrule Thu 04-Aug-16 15:35:45

Sharpie here with name written in as large as possible letters.

So along inside of shirt collar where it is thicker but can't be seen from the outside.

And across the lining of coats.

Very tired of stuff going walkies

NeedAnotherGlass Thu 04-Aug-16 16:20:02

Sharpie, permanent marker, I've even used biro!
If it fades, redo it.
Life is too short to sew in labels!

MiaowTheCat Thu 04-Aug-16 16:24:45

I go for a multi-pronged attack. I have woven name labels for coats and things where you want to sew it in to make a good hanging loop. I have stickins for things like inside shoes and on water bottles etc (survived a good year of daily dishwashering) and I've got dead nice iron-on ones for cardigans and the like... backed up by sharpie on the inside of the waistband as well in case of people trying to nick the buggers.

I only recently defected to iron on ones and actually the ones I've got are pretty impressive if you do them properly - I have memories of really crap ones as a child myself. I've got them done with A. Surname B. so I can use them for both kids on one batch and the cost of them is nowt really.

Not lost a bit of uniform yet - apart from the pair of school shoes DD1 managed to lose in her bloody bedroom which don't count really!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now