Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed about coconut water description?

(21 Posts)
choxanwine Thu 04-Aug-16 10:22:53

Is there no escape from this insidious marketing and constant pressure on women and girls to conform to some ridiculous ideal. My DD (19) picked up some <seemingly innocuous> coconut water on way home (Vita Coco natural coconut water, from Waitrose) and included in the description on the side: "natural", "never from concentrate", etc. was: "no fat (means *bikini friendly*)" I despair... angry sad

choxanwine Thu 04-Aug-16 10:25:38

bikini friendly was supposed to be in bold - but it didn't work confused

bitemyshinymetalass Thu 04-Aug-16 10:28:41

It's called advertising, its nothing new. You're overthinking.

bitemyshinymetalass Thu 04-Aug-16 10:28:42

It's called advertising, its nothing new. You're overthinking.

leccybill Thu 04-Aug-16 10:28:45

Trendy fad drink. We'll look back and laugh at the 2010s - decade of juicing, aloe shite, kale, quinoa and coconut bloody everything.

EveOnline2016 Thu 04-Aug-16 10:29:15

Does it wash bikinis or something.

Blerg Thu 04-Aug-16 10:33:21

Yanbu- loathesome on two counts - body policing and twee 'look aren't we friendly / funny' marketing.

I was looking at ingredients on a snack I was buying yesterday because don't eat certain food due to health issue and the woman at the till said 'oh, don't check the calories, it's as bad as a chocolate bar, you might as well eat the chocolate.' I've just lost 2+stone and a way to go but felt a bit annoyed she'd decided I was fat and / or dieting. I am losing weight but not that way and I give not two shits about calories.

liz70 Thu 04-Aug-16 10:42:05

It's from Brazil. Say no more.

minipie Thu 04-Aug-16 10:43:43

Did they really put "bikini friendly" on the bottle? How depressing.

And also ignores the fact that coconut water has a shedload of (natural) sugar in it.

HoneyDragon Thu 04-Aug-16 10:44:10

Are you saying it actually said Bikini friendly or just that it said no fat?

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Thu 04-Aug-16 10:49:08

YANBU. That's awful.

trafalgargal Thu 04-Aug-16 11:04:35

It only annoys me because it tastes vile and OH actually paid money because he thought id like it because it's healthy.

AnotherPrickInTheWall Thu 04-Aug-16 11:04:55

I'm predicting lard will become the next Superfood.

DoItTooJulia Thu 04-Aug-16 11:43:17

Makes me laugh really: not the crappy advertising, but the fact that a carton of coconut water was £3 in the chiller but a whole coconut was 79p.

The worst bit is, it's not even nice (out of the carton)!

YelloDraw Thu 04-Aug-16 11:51:00

Oh I love coconut water, I find it really refreshing and easy to drink when needed to hydrate e.g. after a spin class or when hungover. However I am sure that is because it is sooooooooooooo high in sugar. I get the same thirst quenching effect from a nice glass of orange squash as well!

choxanwine Thu 04-Aug-16 16:54:29

Honeydragon - I quote: " no fat (means bikini friendly) " hmm

Tbh, even though I love coconut, the coconut water did actually make me feel a bit queasy. Never again...

HoneyDragon Thu 04-Aug-16 18:15:17

I'm stunned. Genuinely.

You're op threw me because of the astrix where it didn't bold. They can Vick off.

trufflehunterthebadger Thu 04-Aug-16 18:37:37

Coconut water is bloody lovely..
.. straight from the tree supped on the beach in Antigua with a massive slug of gin in it

You can keep those sad little pasteurised cans for £3

LikeTheShoes Thu 04-Aug-16 19:11:54

The chocolate one is quite tasty. The plain one is grim.

amusedbush Thu 04-Aug-16 19:15:48

Coconut water from a carton tastes how I'd imagine a carton of ball sweat to taste.

And sugar is what makes you fat, so their sexist advertising is redundant.

OhtoblazeswithElvira Thu 04-Aug-16 19:18:56

Yanbu shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now