Talk

Advanced search

To be hacked off with lodger?

(88 Posts)
winkywinkola Thu 04-Aug-16 06:25:55

So we're on holiday right now. Ten days left.

We arranged with our lodger to feed our cats and let out and lock up our chickens every day.

He's just paid his rent into my account less the sum we agreed to pay him for this chores.

Aibu to be really cheesed off about this? He hasn't completed the work and rent and payment for this work are two separate issues.

EarthboundMisfit Thu 04-Aug-16 06:29:11

Wouldn't bother me.

myownprivateidaho Thu 04-Aug-16 06:29:53

I take your point that it should have been agreed, and it definitely makes it harder for you to not pay him if he doesn't complete the job. However, if you didn't agree payment terms I can understand why he did it. Anyway, no point being being cheesed off about it. Just message asking for the rest of the money and say you'll pay him for the chores when you get back.

EarthboundMisfit Thu 04-Aug-16 06:29:55

Though I'd have done it for free in his position.

NisekoWhistler Thu 04-Aug-16 06:33:09

Get back to your sun lounger and chill out! Life's too short

DonaldTrumpTriggersSJWlol Thu 04-Aug-16 06:35:55

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

winkywinkola Thu 04-Aug-16 06:36:15

I don't pay anyone before they complete a job.

And because we didn't agree payment terms, he's okay to deduct it from his rent? On his own initiative? Rent is rent.

I think it's cheeky.

Amelie10 Thu 04-Aug-16 06:39:25

I can't see he did anything wrong? Just makes sense to net off everything and make one payment between you two.

positivity123 Thu 04-Aug-16 06:40:16

YABU. I think it makes sense. Enjoy your hols

Bohemond Thu 04-Aug-16 06:40:39

Wouldn't bother me

maz210 Thu 04-Aug-16 06:41:51

It makes sense to me, you know he'll complete the job as otherwise your animals would die and he would presumably have nowhere to live!

You'd be giving him the money in ten days anyway so I can't see the big deal. Has his reduced rent caused a financial problem for you?

Dutchcourage Thu 04-Aug-16 06:42:35

donald your responses are similar to one you would read in Viz or something similar. They make you sound about 10.

Scrumptiousbears Thu 04-Aug-16 06:46:15

If it bothered you that much maybe you would have made it clear when he/she was to get the money. If you didn't you can't really blame them for decided them themselves.

winkywinkola Thu 04-Aug-16 06:49:22

We've had this arrangement before and we've paid him as soon as we got back.

Jinglebells99 Thu 04-Aug-16 06:52:29

Wouldn't bother me either. When were you planning to pay the lodger? I think I may well have left him/her with cash in an envelope before I went away.

winkywinkola Thu 04-Aug-16 06:56:30

Why would I pay him before he's done the work?

MackerelOfFact Thu 04-Aug-16 06:57:38

I don't see why you'd insist on paying him on completion - it's not like you can inspect his work when you get back. confused

It sounds like you were hoping not have to pay him the agreed amount. Maybe next time employ a house sitter - but I still imagine you'd have to pay upfront...

DonaldTrumpTriggersSJWlol Thu 04-Aug-16 06:58:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

VioletBam Thu 04-Aug-16 07:00:31

YABU if you did'n't specify. My landlord always assumes we will deduct the price of jobs or other simple costs from the rent.

We've always done this. DH did some repairs and deducted the price from the rent. Why not?

Berthatydfil Thu 04-Aug-16 07:01:04

Yanbu
It's s separate arrangement and very cheeky imo.

Pearlman Thu 04-Aug-16 07:04:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jinglebells99 Thu 04-Aug-16 07:08:11

He's doing you a favour though, that's why I would pay in advance. Are you paying him the going rate for a house sitter?

thinkingaboutfostering Thu 04-Aug-16 07:11:06

Yabu if you had a pet sitter coming in to look after the cats they would want money upfront. Why shouldn't you lodger?

RobinsAreTerritorialFuckers Thu 04-Aug-16 07:11:44

I think since you'd not arranged otherwise, YABU.

I doubt he's doing it in order to be deliberately obstructive, since he lives with you and you've had a working arrangement before.

ZenNudist Thu 04-Aug-16 07:14:25

Don't sweat the small stuff, or piss off someone who is helping you out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now