Talk

Advanced search

To be totally fed up about other people kids bad habits

(94 Posts)
Yeahyeahyeahs Wed 03-Aug-16 17:35:14

I'm totally sick of having friends and relatives kids stay who are massively fussy eaters, crap sleepers or just badly behaved and having it rub off on my DC. I know mine aren't perfect and they have their own annoying habits but I am fed up with having to deal with the repercussions of lax parenting.

bitemyshinymetalass Wed 03-Aug-16 17:37:49

Don't have them to stay then.

If only all problems were so easy to solve!

Cinnamon2013 Wed 03-Aug-16 17:38:28

hmm

CarlGrimesMissingEye Wed 03-Aug-16 17:38:29

Yeah. Because your kids wouldn't wind up other people. Bad sleep isn't even an indicator of bad behaviour. But go on. You hook up those judgey pants as high as they'll go. I bet you're a delight to have around looking all smug at us less capable parents.

davos Wed 03-Aug-16 17:39:56

Yeah Yabu and a bit shitty.

I had 2 crap sleepers and picky eaters. I am not lax parent.

I can't see why it's an issue for you. Clearly you are a superior parent so can overcome these obstacles easily.

wheresthel1ght Wed 03-Aug-16 17:41:39

Yabu crap sleepers and fussy eaters. There isn't download that programmes kids to eat or sleep.

Bad behaviour is an issue and Yanbu but how old are your kids? If they are over 5 then I would expect you to have raised them to know that they don't just copy others because they feel like it

WorraLiberty Wed 03-Aug-16 17:41:43

Stop doing it then.

Your kids will be just as annoying to someone else.

If not right now, they will be in the future.

Yeahyeahyeahs Wed 03-Aug-16 17:41:48

I'm not saying that YOU are lax parents - these parents are. How do you say no to family coming to visit? I love them all to death but doesn't mean I agree with their parenting styles. My judgey pants are giving me a huge wedgie...

Mycatsabastard Wed 03-Aug-16 17:41:58

Yes, because I love having a child that doesn't sleep. I can count on one hand the number of decent sleeps I've had in 10 fucking years.

Obviously I deliberately made her a bad sleeper. Or maybe it's because she has autism. Go fucking figure.

YABVU and a bit of a goady fucker imo.

sartra Wed 03-Aug-16 17:43:39

Do your children never misbehave? Refuse food? Refuse to sleep? Get up ridiculously early?....if not, how lucky are you? The answer is simple, don't have anyone with kids visit?

NoCapes Wed 03-Aug-16 17:43:45

hmm

MachiKoro Wed 03-Aug-16 17:45:45

I like the yeahyeahyeahs.
I don't like people that think they know it all about parenting because their children eat well or sleep well. hmm
One of mine had sleep issues for years- she has AS. She has impeccable behaviour 98% of the time, and you'd never catch her having a meltdown, as she saves those for when she's safe at home. (Well, apart from the hour long one in the street two months ago, but never in someone's home!)
My other child has food issues. He's not a 'fussy eater' he really struggles with tastes. Ok , that sounds special snowflake, but it's not. He really hard, and doesn't fuss, or comment on food, just doesn't eat it. Both of them have lovely behaviour,we have high expectations of them.

BabyGanoush Wed 03-Aug-16 17:45:58

Stop having them over?

Or relax a bit and be a nice host?

Being an unwilling unrelaxed host def the WORST option!

WorraLiberty Wed 03-Aug-16 17:47:32

They probably feel the same about your kids though.

Most kids have bad habits/behaviour that rubs off on other kids.

Parents just learn to deal with it.

RebelRogue Wed 03-Aug-16 17:49:36

Dd is a fussy eater. She's also a crap sleeper but slowly(very fucking slowly) getting better. She's also a lovely,well mannered,kind and polite little girl. And that's said by school,friends,family and even strangers in the park/soft play whatever. I think she's a little pain in the ass...well she is,at home gringrin

Lilacpink40 Wed 03-Aug-16 17:49:48

My DCs are wound up by other DCs, but also wind them back up. DCs just do that, it's part of normal childhood.

Yeahyeahyeahs Wed 03-Aug-16 17:49:58

OK - I need to clarify what I mean - crap sleeper= child that refuses to go to bed, not one that doesn't sleep well. Any parent has been there with sleep deprivation and would do anything in their power to make them sleep. I GET THAT. I'm talking about kids who piss about about at bed time winding everyone up. Fussy eater - I have a child with a syndrome who was impossible to feed and refused almost everything. I'm talking about kids who call vegetables 'disgusting', ask for something then decide they don't like it when you serve it etc. That's just bad manners.

Yeahyeahyeahs Wed 03-Aug-16 17:50:25

OK - I need to clarify what I mean - crap sleeper= child that refuses to go to bed, not one that doesn't sleep well. Any parent has been there with sleep deprivation and would do anything in their power to make them sleep. I GET THAT. I'm talking about kids who piss about about at bed time winding everyone up. Fussy eater - I have a child with a syndrome who was impossible to feed and refused almost everything. I'm talking about kids who call vegetables 'disgusting', ask for something then decide they don't like it when you serve it etc. That's just bad manners.

AliceInUnderpants Wed 03-Aug-16 17:50:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

catinthecradle Wed 03-Aug-16 17:51:26

YANBU

I feel the same, but I don't invite the naughty ones for more than a couple of hours anymore. It's a difficult job as it is to deal with my own kids and make sure they are not a nuisance when we are invited by friends or family, I haven't got the energy to put up with unruly kids.

In some families, there are no such thing as a fussy eater: you put the meal on the table, and you remove it when you are done. No argument, no fuss, if someone doesn't want to it, fine. No one is forcing them. Nothing is given until the next meal. Funny enough, children eat without complaining and are healthy.

That said, it's lovely to visit family with well behaved children, as they are a good example for mine grin

ATrumpIsAFartCalledDonald Wed 03-Aug-16 17:51:35

<yawn>

wheresthel1ght Wed 03-Aug-16 17:53:59

You are still utterly unreasonable.

My dd refuses to go to bed. We have had the same routine since day 1. And yet she is pushing boundaries and having issues around being alone. She will create merry hell rather than get into bed - she isn't allowed to get away with it but she will scream my house down. I am by no means a lax parent. I am exceptionally strict with her and yet she still refuses.

Try having some compassion and understanding instead of being a judgemental nasty witch

Badbadtromance Wed 03-Aug-16 17:55:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Thelyingbitchandthewardrobe Wed 03-Aug-16 17:57:02

Chill. You're not perfect either.

RebelRogue Wed 03-Aug-16 17:57:36

Cat at her worst dd didn't eat for two weeks and that was even with stuff she liked. We had battles over pancakes ffs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now