cars that don't match houses

(249 Posts)
iremembericod Wed 03-Aug-16 14:16:57

I live in a surburban semi, pretty average.

Next door neighbours have a brand new Range Rover and a year old BMW Big massive thing.

I feel it's a bit much for this road. We are more of a Vauxhall Astra / VW Golf type of road.

AIBU?

iremembericod Wed 03-Aug-16 14:18:17

At a push we could be a BMW 1 series road.

But not the big monstrous BMW thing

Bailey101 Wed 03-Aug-16 14:21:50

Maybe they would rather spend money on their cars then their house. Or maybe they're minted, but don't want to move from the house they bought before they had much money.

Really not your place to decide if it's too much for the road.

titchy Wed 03-Aug-16 14:25:42

We're the other way round - shitty car in a street full of X5s, XC90s etc. I hang my head in shame every time I drive home blush

dannydyerismydad Wed 03-Aug-16 14:26:29

Mine!

Every single house in our street has a sensible black/grey/navy estate.

I have a bright red mini.

Smurfnoff Wed 03-Aug-16 14:27:12

You sound like a right nosy old cow to be honest.

Cheby Wed 03-Aug-16 14:27:52

We are the other way round too. Biggest house on the street, shittiest cars. It's what your priorities are, innit? grin

OohMavis Wed 03-Aug-16 14:28:22

Ours is a luminous, bright orange little thing on a street full of Very Sensible navy family hatchbacks grin

We do actually need to trade it in for a Very Sensible car, but we just haven't got round to it.

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain Wed 03-Aug-16 14:28:26

I saw a bright red classic car outside a mobile home the other day. I said to DH you don't often see a car worth more than the property it's parked in front of.

eyebrowsonfleek Wed 03-Aug-16 14:29:19

Could be a company car? There were 4x4 on the list of cars that he was allowed to choose from.
My driveway doesn't match the others in the street. My neighbours to the left have a 60 plate Jeep while the other is a household with 2 adults and has a 56 plate Porsche, 55 plate Range Rover and 60 plate Mercedes convertible parked outside. My car is 10 years old and I don't care as long as it continues passing it's MOT.
I'd rather spend my money on my house than cars. My ex is the opposite. His house is not as nice as mine but he drives a fancy car.

Nanunanu Wed 03-Aug-16 14:29:41

Drug dealers or other ill gotten gains

You have to prove where your money comes from to buy a house. But not a car

Or, you know,other reasons like a lottery win or inheritance when they've finally got the kitchen sorted just the way they like it. Or kids staying at home paying no rent blow it all on a car

GreaseIsNotTheWord Wed 03-Aug-16 14:29:59

I understand a shitty car and nice house. I'm happy to spend as much money as I can on a house, it's an investment and, well, your house is where your life is centred, it makes sense to spend on it.

My MIL lives in a really, really deprived area though...and there are so many nice cars on her street of shitty, run down houses. I don't get it...either people are paying a fortune in finance or genuinely have £20k+ to spend on a car, either of which are bonkers IMO.

Discobabe Wed 03-Aug-16 14:30:24

What? Can't say I've ever thought about it confused

ItchyFoot Wed 03-Aug-16 14:31:09

You can tell who the drug dealers are round here by how nice the cars are.

laidbackneko Wed 03-Aug-16 14:31:24

Neither your business nor your place to dictate what car your neighbours should or shouldn't drive.
YABU

RooftopCat Wed 03-Aug-16 14:32:02

You sound like a right nosy old cow to be honest
How is noticing cars parked on your street being 'nosy'?

Crocodillian Wed 03-Aug-16 14:32:36

My car has a roof and a chimney so that it matches my house.

StuffandBother Wed 03-Aug-16 14:33:47

Every skank man and his dog has a fine new whip around here - PCP and car leasing means everyone seems to be driving around in a brand new Mercedes or Audi!

MrsMook Wed 03-Aug-16 14:34:12

We let our street down grin No German cars, and although they're the right size of car, they're a bit older. My missing hubcaps definitely let the side down. We go for the buy a nearly new car and keep it until it becomes less reliable approach, and we're at the less glamourous end of the cycle at the moment.

DB has a similar approach, but he'll splash out more on a new car each decade. His car does make his house look small though. He can afford it and it suits him so so be it.

Mrbluethecatt Wed 03-Aug-16 14:36:23

When DH and i were looking at houses to buy, Dh always looked at the cars and at the level of garden tat. His reasoning was if they park expensive cars next to the houses and have garden tat that hasnt been stolen, then it must be a good area.

So just think, its a sign that your street is nice and safe.grin

summerskittles91 Wed 03-Aug-16 14:37:20

I've always said you cant judge anyones finances/lifestyle based on their choice of car. DH used to have a sports car, people must have assumed he forked out 40k cash for it, when in fact it was on a finance deal with a hefty deposit using credit cards. We live with DH's parents and extended family in a fairly smallish house.

MrsJoeyMaynard Wed 03-Aug-16 14:37:22

Our old next door neighbours had a Bentley. We live in a very ordinary estate.

We googled Bentleys out of nosiness to see how much the market price of one of those was.

It was worth more than the asking price of their house was when they put their house on the market.

Mouthfulofquiz Wed 03-Aug-16 14:37:32

We are the same as some posters above... Biggest house on the street, really nice area. Crappest cars by a country mile! It's hilarious. Our neighbour's have 6 matching coloured newish cars - Range Rover, Mercedes, Golf, Jaguar... We have a crap old Citroen and a crapper Nissan!!

Kr1stina Wed 03-Aug-16 14:37:45

That's me . I have a vair nice house and a crappy old car, which I love . I refuse to change it until the messy children leave home

NoCapes Wed 03-Aug-16 14:37:45

We live on a very normal little estate of semi's, lots of small children and old people with Yorkshire terriers
Lots of sensible family cars in sensible colours
Except one house
They're quite a youngish older couple with 2 older teenage children, there are 3 jeepy type cars (I have no clue about cars!) on their drive, all the same type of car in red white and blue, and always parked in that order - red, white, blue
If somebody's not parked straight and they can't get in in their preferred order, all 3 come out and take the cars off the drive so they can be in their proper places
DP has said more than once that he would love to steal their keys and move the cars into a different order just to see what they do grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now