Talk

Advanced search

To have kebabs on Christmas Day?

(54 Posts)
LewisAndClark Wed 03-Aug-16 13:04:32

We've decided (mainly driven by the teenagers) to do Christmas at home and just us for the first time ever.

We also have a five year old.

We were talking about Christmas dinner (yes I know it's only August...) and the kids said they don't really like turkey or goose so could we have something different. I said that's fine, it's their Christmas and they can have whatever they want.

They want kebabs. Not from the takeaway, but nicely made with a marinaded joint of lamb and all the accoutrements.

I'm fine with this but I do wonder if it will fall flat, particularly for the younger one, and this will forever be 'the Christmas that wasn't'.

I think because it's our first solo one I'm conscious that it's already going to be more low key than usual, and without a big festive meal in the middle it might not live up to their expectations.

What do you think? AIBU to break with tradition?

DerekSprechenZeDick Wed 03-Aug-16 13:05:23

Minted lamb for Christmas Day is a dream of mine. I have to wait for New Year's Day dinner for it though

Do the lamb

NisekoWhistler Wed 03-Aug-16 13:05:41

Do what you fancy. Why should you stick to tradition if you don't enjoy it. You can go back to "normal" next year

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Wed 03-Aug-16 13:05:47

We had pizza one Christmas.

Go for it.

chemenger Wed 03-Aug-16 13:05:49

there is a Christmas section specifically for this type of question. Most of s are still enjoying Summer.

OohMavis Wed 03-Aug-16 13:06:19

Stick a bit of holly on the plate, job done.

OohMavis Wed 03-Aug-16 13:06:52

Did this thread just ruin your summer then, chemenger?

ShatnersBassoon Wed 03-Aug-16 13:06:54

Ask them again nearer the time. I certainly couldn't come up with a decisive answer for what I would want to eat in 5 months.

RedHareWithBlondeHair Wed 03-Aug-16 13:07:07

I think Yabu for talking about this in August.

WorraLiberty Wed 03-Aug-16 13:07:42

I have never met a five year old in my whole life who genuinely gives a shit what meat they're going to be eating, for their Christmas dinner.

I'm not sure why it means no 'big festive meal' though, because you're ditching the roast?

CatyB Wed 03-Aug-16 13:07:52

Christmas isn't about what you eat, after all, it's about the people you spend it with. As long as you are with your loving family, it doesn't really matter what's on the table imho.

DoItTooJulia Wed 03-Aug-16 13:08:34

Ha! You're for it! The C word in August??? What are you thinking!! wink

LemonBreeland Wed 03-Aug-16 13:08:53

We had our first Christmas alone as a family last year. Our DC were 12, 8 and 4. We had steak and chips. It was great.

OhHolyFuck Wed 03-Aug-16 13:09:29

This is the first christmas on our own too and we're not having christmas dinner, don't know what yet but it won't be the traditional big dinner
Have what makes you all happy

LewisAndClark Wed 03-Aug-16 13:09:32

I know it's well early but the next four months will fly by, you know how it is. I like to plan ahead.

We've always done Christmas with my (huge) family, with a couple of years with the inlaws. The dinner has always been a massive part of the day but I suspect the kids are just waiting for it to be over and get back to the presents.

I'll ask them again nearer the time.

Lilaclily Wed 03-Aug-16 13:10:15

Ha ha they'll have changed their mind by December
ponders putting the sprouts on now

BarbaraofSeville Wed 03-Aug-16 13:11:19

That could be fab. As well as the lovely marinated lamb, you could have hoummus, nice flatbreads, salads, roasted or grilled vegetables, halloumi etc etc.

Party or celebration menus from Turkish/Med/Middle Eastern restaurants will give you lots of ideas on how to make it memorable and special.

CauliflowerBalti Wed 03-Aug-16 13:11:37

Until I met my new partner and had to factor visiting his parents into the whole Christmas equation, I used to do a roast dinner on Boxing Day (never turkey, usually beef or lamb) and whatever treat my boy and I fancied on Christmas Day - Nigella's cherry cola ham and chips one year, lasagne another...

It was driven by a sense that, as a single mother, I didn't get to enjoy any time with my son. He'd open his presents and want to play with them with me, I'd be in the kitchen making a fucking dinner.

But I actually MUCH preferred it. It spreads the joy out. Christmas Day becomes about spending time together and the gifts. We actually had time for a long walk in the afternoon with the dogs. It was really chilled and lovely.

But we still got the pomp and ceremony of a Proper Dinner with crackers and the posh plates and that, the day after.

I'd do it like this for always if we didn't have to go to the in-laws on Boxing Day.

slanleat Wed 03-Aug-16 13:12:56

My kids had pizza one christmas. I made them myself so did go as far as making christmas tree shaped individual pizza's. They loved it. And himself and I had a nice bit of beef with all the trimmings.

Nice enjoyable family dinner time, with no quibbles, no stress and a happy day. What else would you need?

LewisAndClark Wed 03-Aug-16 13:13:00

Thank you. I'm warming to the idea now, and you're right, I could make it epic and really festive.

At least they didn't ask for pizza!

LewisAndClark Wed 03-Aug-16 13:13:42

Oh awkward cross post! I hadn't thought of homemade pizzas, that's quite festive.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Wed 03-Aug-16 13:16:24

It's the C word, run to the hills...................grin

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Wed 03-Aug-16 13:16:46

Considering the weather outside, 'summer' is over anyway grin

We did steak for Christmas dinner one year, with chips, veg and pigs in blankets. Twas awesome.

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Wed 03-Aug-16 13:17:39

I'd be getting the teens to help with the prep and cooking though too! It could be a really nice new tradition for you..

ButtfaceMiscreant Wed 03-Aug-16 13:20:11

Just reminded me OP, need to get the sprouts on... wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now