Talk

Advanced search

To think I have let down every woman everywhere?

(158 Posts)
ImOnMyTumbleTap Wed 03-Aug-16 10:32:16

I have disappointed myself in being completely unable to put a fucking, bullshit, crappy bookcase together. It just will not work!

My DP offered to help me with it but I told him I was perfectly capable of putting together a book case, thank you very much. Now I have to go crawling back and say I can't. Gah! angry

bitemyshinymetalass Wed 03-Aug-16 10:33:18

What have your abilities got to do with other women? I do the DIY and flatpacks in my home, DP is useless at them.
Ability with a screwdriver is not gendered!

OohMavis Wed 03-Aug-16 10:33:26

...did you read the instructions?

<runs>

PageStillNotFound404 Wed 03-Aug-16 10:33:34

YANBU, please hand in your Independent Woman badge at the desk. Then go and sit in the bookshelf-less corner and think about what you've done.

Sandalwearingdoglady Wed 03-Aug-16 10:35:01

There are plenty of men who would have fucked that RIGHT up so I wouldn't worry too much.

tibbawyrots Wed 03-Aug-16 10:35:18

You've got a deconstructed book case. Everyone has a constructed one; you're not following convention. grin

snorepatrol Wed 03-Aug-16 10:36:30

I feel your pain but you'll find no judgement here grin I once put a futon together upside down without noticing as it was flat and when I went to turn it into a sofa it faced the floor upside down confused

ImOnMyTumbleTap Wed 03-Aug-16 10:38:53

I was even following the instructions like a "good woman" would but to no avail.

bite, this was meant to be a lighthearted post about the stereotype that women can't do DIY and I was living up to it.

tibba, as much as I am normally all for breaking the norm, a deconstructed bookcase doesn't hold my books as well as a constructed one.

TheGruffaloMother Wed 03-Aug-16 10:39:24

Post pics of what you've done already here! Flat pack book cases are my specialty grin

RestlessTraveller Wed 03-Aug-16 10:40:39

Some people are more suited the this type
of task than others, nowt to do with gender. Your talent is delegation! You are able to look at other peoples abilities and celebrate them. Tell your DP to crack on.

JohnLithgowsLargeForehead Wed 03-Aug-16 10:41:43

I do all the flatpack as I enjoy it! You haven't let anyone down, blame the instructions wink

Destinysdaughter Wed 03-Aug-16 10:42:11

Oh don't worry I'd be crap at this too! I'd get a bloke to do it as I cba to do stuff like this. And some men enjoy it to prove how ' manly ' they are.

Don't sweat the small stuff OP! 😀

ImOnMyTumbleTap Wed 03-Aug-16 10:42:38

This is how far I got. (I have stacked it back up nearly to be fair to me.)

I was trying to put the screws in but they just did that to the wood and then came straight back out.

Imnotaslimjim Wed 03-Aug-16 10:43:19

Put pics up of what you've got so far, I love flat pack! I'm sure we can help you sort it then you don't need to tell DH

chemenger Wed 03-Aug-16 10:43:51

I love making flatpack furniture. What has gone wrong, maybe we can guide you through it. I think I could put an Ikea Billy together with my eyes closed, I've done it so often.

Noonesfool Wed 03-Aug-16 10:44:48

Second hand stores with ready made wooden bookcases are you friend here.

Then you paint them something delicious and BAM! You are independent woman without books all over the floor grin

Noonesfool Wed 03-Aug-16 10:45:08

*your

zoobeedoo Wed 03-Aug-16 10:45:14

Haha! There will be a man in a white van on gumtree you can phone to help you with that grin

BillyNotQuiteNoMates Wed 03-Aug-16 10:45:52

Save face by paying your next door neighbours teenager to do it for you! DH will never know!

Bonywasawarriorwayayix Wed 03-Aug-16 10:46:16

Can you replace a plug? That comes with an Independent Woman badge too.

TheGruffaloMother Wed 03-Aug-16 10:46:49

Which piece is that hole in?

Is it a larger set or a smaller set? With smaller sets you do the outer square first, add the back (and that little plank for the bottom at the front if it has one), then put the pegs for the shelves where you want them, then put the shelves on. Larger cases will generally have a shelf roughly in the middle that's fixed into the frame and you'd fit it to one of the sides alone with the bottom and top while constructing your outer frame.

Imnotaslimjim Wed 03-Aug-16 10:49:28

Does ti come with different types of screws? That looks like you've used the wrong one. Can you do a pic of the screw pack laid out?

ImOnMyTumbleTap Wed 03-Aug-16 10:51:00

The problem is, it's a bookcase for my classroom, there are no neighbours with teenagers I can call on. Tempted to give my DF a ring but he will laugh at me too.

The hole I showed you was on a small piece for the bottom of the frame.

Birdsgottafly Wed 03-Aug-16 10:53:35

I can't do stuff like that because of my lack of hand strength.

I'm always the one giving the directions to whoever is doing it, though.

I make a much better supervisor, than manual worker.

TheGruffaloMother Wed 03-Aug-16 10:53:46

Ignore that piece for now then (presuming were talking about the very slim piece we can see in the first picture?) It's mostly cosmetic. Do the outer rectangle first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now