Talk

Advanced search

To think this was not an appropriate response to not getting shortlisted for a job and I have fucked up.

(83 Posts)
Beeswax2017 Wed 03-Aug-16 06:44:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EmpressOfTheVaginaDentata Wed 03-Aug-16 06:50:38

Sounds like a totally reasonable response to me.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Wed 03-Aug-16 06:51:27

Whilst your (understandable) response may not have helped your chances, I can't help but think they're stringing you along. sad

First a driving license, you go and get this. Then they change the goalposts. What's to stop them changing the goalposts again once you have degree?

You say you perform this part of the role already unpaid?

purplefizz26 Wed 03-Aug-16 06:51:32

I think that was a perfect response actually! flowers

Dozer Wed 03-Aug-16 06:51:50

The recruiting manager sounds biased, but you're right, your response was quite inappropriate IMO.

If it was an internal job and you work for a large organisation (especially in the public sector) I might, however, complain that the ad didn't say a degree was essential but the manager said those things and made it a "cut off" in selecting the short list.

SkydivingFerret Wed 03-Aug-16 06:53:00

Sounds perfect to me too!

Dozer Wed 03-Aug-16 06:53:01

Like a PP I also wonder if (if this is an internal move) they don't want you in that role and are making excuses.

YellowDinosaur Wed 03-Aug-16 06:54:09

I think it was totally reasonable too. It won't change things this time but I bet they remember you and shortlist you next time

Beeswax2017 Wed 03-Aug-16 06:54:25

Squeegle Wed 03-Aug-16 06:54:34

I think they sound like they're being completely unreasonable. If a degree was mandatory they shouldn't have asked you to apply. Is there someone you can escalate this to?

SabineUndine Wed 03-Aug-16 06:58:17

If they said the degree was desirable but not essential and then decided that would be the cutoff, they are messing you about. Did the job go internally to someone they already knew, I'd suspect it did.

Beeswax2017 Wed 03-Aug-16 06:58:53

Katy92 Wed 03-Aug-16 06:58:53

It can go one of two ways- he'll like you stand your ground and change his mind- or, he'll see it as a bit rude.
Personally, I feel if you're good enough to do that part of a job unpaid and have done nothing but better yourself- why are you not being shortlisted? Do they see you as doing it still regardless if they pay you or not?!

HoggleHoggle Wed 03-Aug-16 07:00:49

I think your reply was polite and calmly assertive and I think you were absolutely right to send it, actually. I think it's outrageous to say you don't know pressure until you've got a degree. I've got a degree and it was in no way the most stressful thing I've done. The workplace has much more pressure imo, and you're already doing that as well as adding extra learning onto that.

I think the application person has fucked up, actually. I'm really surprised that they would say something like that.

ApocalypseSlough Wed 03-Aug-16 07:01:13

Fantastic response but I'm worried they're stringing you along too.
Do you have any other work related goals? I'm sorry about your Mum flowers

HidingFromDD Wed 03-Aug-16 07:03:08

do they have an HR dept? If they're supposed to be performing competency based interviews then they should have asked you to demonstrate a situation where you have worked under pressure, not just decided that a degree shows that (my degree was no way the most pressured thing I've done).

If you do complain though, you'll probably never know the outcome, and it won't help your chances of a move to that department. Tbh, it sounds like they already knew who they wanted anyway - have the previous 2 roles gone to internal applicants?

Upwiththelark53 Wed 03-Aug-16 07:03:22

You spoke your mind and stuck up for yourself. Well done you.🙂

Fluffythepantfireslayer Wed 03-Aug-16 07:05:55

Do you have grounds for appeal? Given the dedication and effort you've given to this, I'd be very pissed off. If the degree wasn't in the original spec I'd be challenging them on this, especially given the excellent feedback you'd been given.

Flumplet Wed 03-Aug-16 07:06:00

Fuck em OP. Your response was spot on. Some employers these days treat employees like their bitches and I think you are being strung along by them as they're getting something for free and they don't want to start paying you for it. Do what you're paid to do, you have the experience now, and try and get your promotion elsewhere.

YoniMitchell Wed 03-Aug-16 07:07:56

I think your response was great.

MudCity Wed 03-Aug-16 07:08:12

It sounds as though you are doing everything you can to make yourself a suitable candidate for this job. Are they inundated with applicants? Because that is the only reason I can find for them deciding that studying for a degree is so important. I don't think it is reasonable for the manager to say that this proves the ability to work under pressure though....that can be demonstrated in various ways (as you have indicated). You could seek advice from HR (although that does escalate the situation). Your response was entirely reasonable and unless they are so inundated with applicants that they can pick and choose and turn desirable into essential criteria you are justified in your response.

Congratulations on everything you have done to work towards your goal.

Dozer Wed 03-Aug-16 07:08:30

A local authority? You could complain to HR, although the time limit might have passed. His stated reasons for not giving you the job and comment about "not knowing pressure" were unlikely to be in line with their recruitment/equality policies.

I doubt your reaction will have made it more likely you'll be shortlisted in future.

Trouble is there are no guarantees of being able to get a job like it, that will all depend on the field of other applicants, but you're plugging away towards it which increases your chances.

EarthboundMisfit Wed 03-Aug-16 07:08:34

I think it's a reasonable response. I would be worried that they were just stringing me along since the goalposts keep changing. Is there another job you could look for?
A degree was nothing in terms of pressure compared to my job.

RB68 Wed 03-Aug-16 07:13:16

my view on these things is to ask myself even if they reconsidered would I want to work for them?? I often find when they are making stuff up for reasons as to why not short listed or given the post that there was an "internal applicant" and it was more cost effective to slot them in and carry another vacancy for 4 to 6 mths while recruiting to that

StealthPolarBear Wed 03-Aug-16 07:14:17

Fluffy there is no appeal and a pp suggests complaining to hr - you simply can't.
As someone else mentioned this could go one of two ways, I hope it goes the right way for you. Agree that my degree was by no means the most pressured thing I did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now