Talk

Advanced search

Sharing photos of your holiday on Facebook...bored?

(120 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

angelos02 Tue 02-Aug-16 17:47:23

It is holiday time of year & I am not of the social media generation (41) but I still don't understand how people have time to share photos of their holiday on Facebook. A couple I know are even on their honeymoon & sharing photos of their hols. Surely they have better things to do?

TheWitTank Tue 02-Aug-16 17:49:10

It takes about 10 seconds to upload a photo to facebook from a mobile.

Skittlesss Tue 02-Aug-16 17:49:34

Haha I always think that they must be either bored or showing off. A few nice photos is good, but some of my acquaintances put photos on all day long. Like you're having a live update of their holiday.

MadHattersWineParty Tue 02-Aug-16 17:50:53

Do you really plan to do activities every single second of a holiday? Must be exhausting. Maybe they're bored in the back of a taxi. Maybe they chose to Facebook instead of reading a magazine. On holiday you get to choose how you spend your time. I could happily Facebook from a sun lounger, cocktail in hand. What's wrong with that?

angelos02 Tue 02-Aug-16 17:51:32

But why? I must live in a different generation where I enjoy my life as it.happens. I'll upload a few pix when I'm home, bored & waiting for the washing machine to finish it's cycle.

TheNaze73 Tue 02-Aug-16 17:52:23

I agree OP. YANBU

WorraLiberty Tue 02-Aug-16 17:53:34

As a PP said, it takes seconds with today's technology.

You could be waiting for your DH to get out of the shower, or maybe having half an hour's chill-out time on a sun lounger.

Sirzy Tue 02-Aug-16 17:54:27

I'm not active every second while on holiday. Doesn't mean I am bored, or not having fun!

PavlovianLunge Tue 02-Aug-16 17:54:44

I agree with you, OP, but when my laptop hard drive died angry the few photos that I was able to retrieve were the ones that I'd posted on Facebook - not that there were many.

HoobleDooble Tue 02-Aug-16 17:56:24

I just think you're running the risk of letting the whole world know you're on holiday (some people don't have the tightest of privacy setting on Facebook). I don't check in or post photos until I'm home so I'm not advertising my empty house.

davos Tue 02-Aug-16 17:56:32

I much prefer to see them on FB.

I remember having to sit and look at 6 million holiday snaps when people came back off holiday, including the ones that didn't develop.

DameXanaduBramble Tue 02-Aug-16 17:56:48

I'd say you were right in the middle of the social media generation, op. I see more bore off holiday photos from our age group than anyone else. And they are bore off. I might like them as people but it's the equivalent of the old style slide show. I can like someone without wanting to know the the minutae of their lives.

WorraLiberty Tue 02-Aug-16 17:57:28

For the record, I'm 47 and don't even use my phone for the internet, let alone on holiday.

But that doesn't stop me understanding and enjoying other people's FB holiday posts.

angelos02 Tue 02-Aug-16 17:57:30

But still, why? Is it showing off? Unless you are travelling by private jet to somewhere ridiculously glamorous, foreign travel isn't exciting anymore

MadHattersWineParty Tue 02-Aug-16 17:58:20

Agreed, the evening I had to sit looking through a SLIDESHOW of 567 pictures of my Aunt's trip to Canada was one of the longest of my entire life. At least on Facebook I could have just clicked 'like' and got in with my life.

1gorgeousson Tue 02-Aug-16 17:58:30

I hate it when people just upload every photo, even the shit out of focus ones. Who looks through an album with 160 photos on it?

Meeep Tue 02-Aug-16 17:58:57

They're probably thinking...
"What can I do for the next hour? I've been sitting here in the dark for four hours since breakfast and it's rapidly losing its charm as an activity.
Maybe I could make a panda out of leaves? No, I've never been good with leaf art. Maybe I could do some work? Oh, oh dear, I've checked my work emails, but nobody wants anything sad
Hmm, well I guess I'll go out to try to find an interesting beach scene and see if anybody I know on Facebook wants to talk to me about it? Gosh I'm lonely."

wolvesatmydoor Tue 02-Aug-16 17:59:15

I think a few is fine. After that it is bore off and fo enjoy yourself. I don't need a play by play

malmi Tue 02-Aug-16 17:59:48

It's just the modern equivalent of writing postcards, but less hassle. If you can imagine someone taking 15 minutes to write some postcards then you can imagine someone taking a few seconds to share photos they were taking anyway by pressing a few extra buttons on their phone.

There are plenty of valid reasons to not upload pictures of your honeymoon to Facebook but not having time to do it is not one of them.

wolvesatmydoor Tue 02-Aug-16 18:00:10

*go enjoy

TutanKaDashian Tue 02-Aug-16 18:00:50

It's to prove to the world how much fun they're having. Unless they upload 20,000 photos (an hour) then their holiday didn't really happen hmm Not sure why people can't just live in the moment and enjoy themselves.

lacktoastandtolerance Tue 02-Aug-16 18:01:59

Perhaps they believe sharing happiness with friends is a more fulfilling pastime than complaining to strangers.

Perhaps they have friends who want to know how much they're enjoying their honeymoon.

Perhaps they're overwhelmingly excited about having been through one of the biggest, happiest, emotional experiences of their life and they are bubbling over with joy at all the future holds.

WorraLiberty Tue 02-Aug-16 18:02:08

But still, why? Is it showing off? Unless you are travelling by private jet to somewhere ridiculously glamorous, foreign travel isn't exciting anymore

I think you'd be better of asking the question why not? really.

Some people (in fact most people I know), are interested in what their kids/friends/other family members are doing and if they're having a good time.

It makes them smile, you know?

However, the people posting the photos will be perfectly aware that those who don't want to see them, can hide the pics from their newsfeed.

So it's win-win all round.

CedarSpring Tue 02-Aug-16 18:02:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Smurfnoff Tue 02-Aug-16 18:02:26

Some people do go over the top, but we've all got a scroll button. Use it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now