To be annoyed that every conversation involves "I'm broke"?

(7 Posts)
Rainbow Tue 02-Aug-16 13:44:58

I am a single mum who works full time and have 4 DC. I am, by any stretch of the imagination, well off. I put food on the table, a roof over their heads and clothes on their backs. I don't have any savings and we don't go on holidays. We cope and we are happy. Ok I'd like a bit extra for a few things but who doesn't? My exFIL is a millionaire. Very stingy and I don't like him. He has no friends, a big house and is lonely. I would not trade places with him for all the tea in China. IMO I have a lot more "riches" than her does.
My sister and my cousin are both married, only work for pocket money and think the more something costs, the better it is. Neither are particularly grateful either (especially when it comes to birthdays and Christmas). Most weekends we get together, especially my sis, and every time the conversation turns to money 😢. My nephew turned 18 Saturday and we all got together. The conversation again turns to money. How much birthday money he got, my sister tells us "I would have given him more than £200 but we're broke" Her DH is out of work atm but does private jobs for friends and family (yes he charges full rates). So money is still coming in on top of JSA. The conversation turns to savings. My cousin has a young child who needs physio and she is going private. "We won't be holidaying abroad for a few years as we are broke with the physio. Our savings are down to £8000" my sister replies "I know how you feel with DH being out of work we are down to our last £5000". I am sitting there thinking " you have no idea what broke is. STFU!"
AIBU to want to avoid the pair of them like the plague? Just can't stand all this bragging about how much they have while pleading poverty.

ChicRock Tue 02-Aug-16 13:57:35

Yes just avoid them.

They seems bit obsessed with money, but so do you. You seem to know the ins and outs of your exFIL financial situation and your BIL's work and jsa set up, etc, and I personally think commenting that other women work for 'pocket money' is really disparaging.

Perhaps there a bit of the green eyed monster there really?

So yeah, best to just avoid them.

Bananalanacake Tue 02-Aug-16 14:07:54

Yes, avoid them, they sound tiresome.

Finola1step Tue 02-Aug-16 14:12:18

Hold on a sec, I know I'm about to derail your thread so apologies in advance. But, did you mean that your BIL is claiming JSA and working on the side? As in, ahem, benefit fraud?

Rainbow Tue 02-Aug-16 14:14:38

I only know my exFIL's situation because he told me the first time I met him. This cost this much ando that cost this much etc. (He and exDH had been estranged for 15 years and this was the first meeting). My sister tells everyone in her poverty please. "DH isn't here because he's working. Not that it's really worth it, he's only getting paid £300" She is also quite vocal about how distugusting it is that people are expect to live on JSA and how much she gets a week. I really don't care. I would rather know how my niece is doing at school or how my nephews are doing at football or how my cousin's girls are doing at brownies but that is never in the conversation. I mentioned that my DS3 got a fantastic school report and, despite being so far behind, he is now just a little bit below average since being in year7 (his levels are that of a year 6 child. He was at a year 3 level) and how DS1 has got an apprenticeship starting in September, I got a that's nice and back to money.

Rainbow Tue 02-Aug-16 14:16:35

So I'm told Finola. How much truth in it I don't know.

Rainbow Tue 02-Aug-16 14:17:31

Chicrock. Working for pocket money is their words not mine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now