Talk

Advanced search

Cupcakes in ice cream cones

(41 Posts)
ParadiseCity Tue 02-Aug-16 11:30:24

I keep seeing this video at the side of MN and thinking 'ooh that ice cream looks nice' and then remembering its a fecking CAKE and feeling really cheated.

WHO would look at an ice cream, a lovely creamy cool ice cream, and then be happily surprised that it was a bit of dry old sponge?

Surely this recipe could only lead to crying heartbroken children, and pissed off parents who'd mistakenly spent time lovingly baking something that is just a great big con and ruining childhoods?!

Or is it just me.

ParadiseCity Tue 02-Aug-16 11:31:16

Oh so the question is AIBU to think cupcakes in ice cream cones have no place on MN or IRL too come to that?

ThatsMyStapler Tue 02-Aug-16 11:32:36

meh - i prefer cake to ice cream

Sparklesilverglitter Tue 02-Aug-16 11:32:47

My friends DC love them, had them at a recent birthday were a massive hit.

It's only dry sponge, if you don't bake right. My friends are very moist light cake with a lovely butter cream, flake, sprinkles.

ayeokthen Tue 02-Aug-16 11:32:50

I saw them (before they were on here) and made them for the nursery summer fete. They went down a treat, not sure why they have no place in real life?

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 02-Aug-16 11:35:14

I can imagine them making a nice display at a kid's birthday party. They sound a but dry to me though.

So to answer you OP they do have a place IRL, but that place is not my stomach.

WaitrosePigeon Tue 02-Aug-16 11:35:48

Sounds gross

99GBPChargeToUseMyPostsJournos Tue 02-Aug-16 11:36:42

Yes, I would be disappointed with old dry sponge. Who wouldn't be?

I'd be bloody delighted with a gorgeous light cake though.

Eatthecake Tue 02-Aug-16 11:37:10

I made them for DC birthday and the village fete. There were a huge hit with both children & adults.

My sponge is not dry. They taste lovely

99GBPChargeToUseMyPostsJournos Tue 02-Aug-16 11:38:17

'dry old sponge'

Hmmm.

Noone wants dry old sponge. But a gorgeous light fluffy cupcake? Yes please!

99GBPChargeToUseMyPostsJournos Tue 02-Aug-16 11:39:01

Dammit, reposted because my phone said it couldn't connect. Turns out it did. Sorry!

RainyDayBear Tue 02-Aug-16 11:39:11

YANBU. People interfering with perfectly good cake angers me. Don't get me started on that cake pop fad - cake does not belong on a bloody stick!

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 02-Aug-16 11:40:04

It's the combination of sponge with cone that makes me think 'dry'. A cone needs lovey wet ice-cream.

HunterHearstHelmsley Tue 02-Aug-16 11:41:46

Ice cream is the best.. I don't get all the cake fuss.

ParadiseCity Tue 02-Aug-16 11:43:19

But the sponge will always be dry compared to ice cream. Your stomach is just not getting what your eyes have been promised.

Like if you were offered a cocktail but instead of drinking it, it turned out 'Surprise!' to be a jelly.

Or yes RainyDayBear, a lollipop, that is NOT a lollipop.

I do like cake, I've just eaten some cake, but it wasn't a disguised lying cheating cake.

LoreleiGilmoreIsMyBFF Tue 02-Aug-16 11:44:34

I'd make the 'dry old sponge' more moist by adding a good dollop of ice cream. Hate cones though.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Tue 02-Aug-16 11:44:52

OP - I totally get where you are coming from! Buttercream is the devil's snot anyway, but to replace ice cream with cake? Won't they think of the children shock

99GBPChargeToUseMyPostsJournos Tue 02-Aug-16 12:31:06

Just because a sponge is drier than ice cream doesn't make it 'dry, old' which implies stale.

The moistness of a cake should not be decided on by comparing it to ice cream. Or water. Or wood. Or anything that is not cake.

'I don't like sausage and chips. It's not as fishy as cod'.
'Not sure about this apple. It's not as citrusy as an orange'.

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 02-Aug-16 12:33:12

The moistness of a cake should not be decided on by comparing it to ice cream. Or water. Or wood.

Surely comparing the cake with ice-cream is inevitable when you stick the cake in a receptacle traditionally used for ummmm, ice-cream?

ParadiseCity Tue 02-Aug-16 12:42:08

But is the non citrusy Apple dressed up as an orange?

scarednoob Tue 02-Aug-16 13:17:54

Cones are revolting anyway. Fuck the nasty dry little bastards. And their evil wispy wafer cousins.

Ice cream belongs in a bowl. And should be eaten with a fork!

scarednoob Tue 02-Aug-16 13:18:14

Cup cakes belong on a plate, btw

99GBPChargeToUseMyPostsJournos Tue 02-Aug-16 13:28:03

Surely comparing the cake with ice-cream is inevitable when you stick the cake in a receptacle traditionally used for ummmm, ice-cream?

I traditionally (been a tradition in my family for years) serve ice cream in a bowl. Shame it's not as savoury as soup.

They are deliberately making it look like ice cream, granted. Do you also compare childrens cakes with football pitches? Hmm, this cake isn't as earthy as a football pitch. Or Caterpillars? Not as squidgey!

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 02-Aug-16 13:31:37

Cupcakes are so last year, and highly so.
Horrid dry spongers.

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 02-Aug-16 13:34:50

99GBP what are you bleating on about?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now