Talk

Advanced search

To be disgusted at my friend buying her council house?

(350 Posts)
AbsoluteUnfairBollox Mon 01-Aug-16 18:46:58

And refuse to offer any congratulations whatsoever

She just announced on Facebook that her house purchase completed today. she's bought it at a massive discount as she's been plastering it online for months (valued at 120k and she's got it for around 50k...didn't even need a deposit I bet the banks were chucking mortgages at them. mean fgs how do some people get so jammy)

Actually I might congratulate her. I feel like saying congrats on taking yet another social house out of the market, one less house for a needy family angry

Aibu to think it's totally unfair and a piss take on hard working people who can't buy a house ? I have bought my house btw but was bloody hard and my house cost twice what hers dos and isn't even as nice

I've nc for this as I am ashamed of the feelings it's stirred up and how mean spirited it's made me feel towards a friend. sad

PerfectlyPosed Mon 01-Aug-16 18:48:46

Disgusted?! Some people just don't have the means to save for a deposit for a house. I say good on her for buying what she can. You don't sound like a very good friend.

GrimmauldPlace Mon 01-Aug-16 18:49:43

Has she bought the house with the view to carry on living there?

PaulAnkaTheDog Mon 01-Aug-16 18:49:43

Whoa you sound jealous! Bit of an extreme reaction and it really doesn't sound like it's motivated by moral outrage...

DerekSprechenZeDick Mon 01-Aug-16 18:49:47

I'd say congratulations to her.

She's a friend and has just bought her home.

Is your friend not hard working then?

I hate that term.

AbsoluteUnfairBollox Mon 01-Aug-16 18:50:29

I don't feel like a good friend tbh...I'm so jealous. She has already had years of cheaper rent and now this

Not to mention the wider social implications of selling off these houses

Olddear Mon 01-Aug-16 18:50:34

Yes, I can see how you'd feel ashamed.

bumsexatthebingo Mon 01-Aug-16 18:51:54

NC I see hmm

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Mon 01-Aug-16 18:52:28

You are being mean-spirited yes, and you know it.

Life isn't fair, OP.

Your friend had a chance to get on the housing ladder, good luck to her. The ins and outs of selling off social housing are not what is really upsetting you, as you admit.

PaulAnkaTheDog Mon 01-Aug-16 18:52:32

Oh yeah, yabu. Stop being bitter and act like a decent person. Say congratulations.

LotsOfShoes Mon 01-Aug-16 18:52:39

Get over yourself. Your friend has done nothing wrong. She is not single handedly at fault for the housing crisis. She did what is best for her family and it's what anyone else would do as well. Should council houses be up for grabs like that? Probably not. But that's the authorities' fault, not your friend's. You sound bitter and your anger is misplaced.

Lenska999 Mon 01-Aug-16 18:52:39

Ha, you sound like a gem of a friend! hmm

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Mon 01-Aug-16 18:52:59

Jealousy is a really ugly emotion op.

If you can't be happy for her then cut her off as a friend. Sounds like she would be better off.

PuppyMonkeyBaby Mon 01-Aug-16 18:53:16

If the council are willing to sell it to her why shouldn't she buy it?

If it bothers you that much take it up with the council.

sonlypuppyfat Mon 01-Aug-16 18:53:29

I grew up in a council house and my dad refused to buy it because he said council houses were for people who couldn't afford to buy

ShatnersBassoon Mon 01-Aug-16 18:53:30

Yes, you're simply concerned for that needy family who could have lived there hmm. Except your friend would have still lived there whether she owned it or not.

Whinge to the council if you're genuinely distressed about their housing stock being depleted.

Amelie10 Mon 01-Aug-16 18:53:34

Jealousy is so ugly.

DesolateWaist Mon 01-Aug-16 18:53:58

I disagree with the sale of council houses, however I was full of excitement for my friend who bought her's.

datingbarb Mon 01-Aug-16 18:55:30

Congrats to her

I'm in a council house, I work hard, but at present not in s position to by any house! One day I may be and buying my council house might be the only way of me getting on the property ladder!

You sound jealous! But of course your hard working and not lazy arse scum sat in a council house so you can be hmm

faceymcfuckface Mon 01-Aug-16 18:55:40

Jealousy is horrible but best you vent on here op rather than in real life

I'm jealous! Doubt I'll ever be able to buy even a one bedroom flat

You'll feel better in the morning I'm sure. smile

AndNowItsSeven Mon 01-Aug-16 18:56:01

70k discount ?

GrimmauldPlace Mon 01-Aug-16 18:56:13

I can't afford to buy, I'm also not eligible for council housing. There's a big issue with housing in this country but it isn't because your friend bought the house. If she's planning on living there anyway what difference does it make to you whether she's paying rent to the council or a mortgage to the bank?

You sound very bitter.

Eatthecake Mon 01-Aug-16 18:56:18

If your friend didn't buy it and moved out the next tenants may well of brought it anyway confused or you friend would of continued to live there for years renting still confused

I don't overly agree with the right to buy council houses but that's the way it is and she has done Absouletly nothing wrong!

If she was my friend I'd be pleased she was on the property ladder

Get over yourself a be a nicer friend

gamerwidow Mon 01-Aug-16 18:57:06

The housing crisis isn't her fault. Her not buying the house wouldn't have freed it up for someone else because you're friend would still be living there. We do need desperately more housing stock but you can't blame people for making the most of an opportunity when it presents. Hate the game not the players and stop being so jealous.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 01-Aug-16 18:57:50

I do see the arguement about removing a house from the social hosing register. But I guess she would have carried on living there whether she bought it or not. Plus it's not her fault, that's been the way it works for some time now.

You or me or anyone would do the same in her position.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now