To want DH to man up a bit

(3 Posts)
haventgotabloodyclue Sun 31-Jul-16 22:16:54

DH is a brilliant dad and all round good egg. However he has not been very successful professionally. He is still in a graduate position 11 years after joining his office. He has tried a few promotion competitions. He has lost out for unclear reasons and his employers are a bunch of muppets if you ask me. His confidence has been knocked. I get that. Meanwhile I have been promoted twice in my career, to the point where I am now the reluctant bread winner. I dont particularly enjoy my job, but work extremely hard to provide for our family. DH really wants to be in a senior position in his office. But will not attend any sort of interview training or career coaching or even ask colleagues to look at his application, do mock interviews etc. I try to be as supportive as I can but it drives me mad. If I knew he had given his promotion attempts 100% then I wouldnt care that he didn't pass. AIBU to wish he'd make more of an effort?

ImperialBlether Sun 31-Jul-16 22:18:12

It's ridiculous that he's not asking people for advice when he wants promotion. I agree with you - he needs to get a grip and focus, otherwise it will be too late.

MajesticWhine Sun 31-Jul-16 22:23:56

A bit of career coaching would be a great idea. Maybe he needs to improve his interview technique and all round communication skills. But are you sure he really is cut out for a more senior position? It's not for everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now