Talk

Advanced search

Dc eating too much over summer

(45 Posts)
ChicagoBullz Sun 31-Jul-16 20:13:16

Dc eat normal amounts in term time but are eating me out of house & home at the moment 😩
I did an £80 shop at Morrisons on Friday & it's mostly gone I can't bloody afford this.
Another problem is the plates & cups they're going through, why can't they use one cup for the whole day??? Grrrr

abigwideworld Sun 31-Jul-16 20:21:48

You could get them involved in making their own (cheaper) snacks? Assuming they're the right ages for this and you have the time. There's a Facebook page, feed your family for about £20 a week. They have some fab ideas on their page for snacks, and reducing your shopping bill in general.

KP86 Sun 31-Jul-16 20:30:45

Make them lunch boxes each day. Once it's gone they have to wait until dinner/tea.

Wolfiefan Sun 31-Jul-16 20:32:38

If mine want lots to drink they fill a sports or drinks bottle. Other drinks only at meal times.
My food bill is up. Eldest buys food at school and youngest still gets free meals.

BillyNotQuiteNoMates Sun 31-Jul-16 21:10:56

I'm not sure about the DCs but I'm not in work and have been eating far more than I usually do!

specialsubject Sun 31-Jul-16 21:12:38

Have you got an aldi ? Morrison's are very pricey.

Stop buying anything to drink, assuming you have a tap. And time for some house training.

EarthboundMisfit Sun 31-Jul-16 21:13:53

Mine are always ravenous in the holidays. They're so much more physically active. The first summer, I thought it was boredom, and that they'd be out of condition by the return to school...but no, they're genuinely hungry, as evidenced by the fact that they'll eat anything offered.
I bulk buy yogurt, fruit, veg, nuts etc and make lollies from fruit juice.

EarthboundMisfit Sun 31-Jul-16 21:14:49

Cold boiled eggs are also going down well. And cottage cheese.

Dontyouopenthattrapdoor Mon 01-Aug-16 08:40:51

Bread, cheese/jam, apples, water are all fairly inexpensive but filling snacks I use here.

If you're buying fizzy drinks or fun snacks, stop! Or at least hide them for treats smile

brummiesue Mon 01-Aug-16 08:44:45

Morrisons pricey?? Was that a typo??!!

Mymouthgetsmeintrouble Mon 01-Aug-16 08:51:41

Get them baking and buy party plates and cups

Seeline Mon 01-Aug-16 08:52:10

How old are they OP?

WaitrosePigeon Mon 01-Aug-16 08:53:10

The lunchbox idea is a great one...

Champagneformyrealfriends Mon 01-Aug-16 08:56:56

What are they eating?! Maybe try offering slightly larger healthy meals instead of snacks?
I find morrisons expensive for certain things-Lidl is my current supermarket of choice and I find the prices reasonable.

OohMavis Mon 01-Aug-16 08:58:40

They will eat for boredom if you give them free rein on the fridge, especially the dairylea dunkers grin

I give mine breakfast (what they'd eat on a school day), a nice snack mid-morning like some hummus and carrot sticks, lunch and then dinner. I buy a box of capri sun to last the week [mean emoticon] and when they run out it's milk or water.

They're directed to the fruit bowl if they're hungry in between all that. It gets expensive if they're raiding the cupboard for junk.

ChicagoBullz Mon 01-Aug-16 09:20:08

9, 12 & 13

It's bread, spreads of all sorts, cereal , milk all the oranges, bananas grapes apples baked beans cheese, chicken drumsticks god I could go on !

They are free ranging mostly this holiday because I work from home & they hate holiday club. I'm trying to do the 'let them get bored it's better for them' thing !!!!! blush

ChicagoBullz Mon 01-Aug-16 09:23:16

2 are coeliac as well sad

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 01-Aug-16 09:25:06

I hear you, only one teen here and had to do a top up shop mid week and about to hit Aldi again today.

Ilikebats123 Mon 01-Aug-16 09:32:12

Yes, I can relate to this. Mine seem to have done nothing but eat for the last 2 weeks. I'm trying to fill them up with bread, pasta and jacket pots. Need to go shopping again today though...

I think it's genuine hunger though, as they even ate a curry I made yesterday, which they would never normally eat. They don't seem to be putting on weight... So I'm thinking it's just down to the more active days we're having. The weather's quite good, (fingers crossed it stays!) so they've been outside more. Mine are spending one day per week at their grandparents, which slightly cuts down my food bill.

MackerelOfFact Mon 01-Aug-16 09:38:11

I agree with getting them to make their own snacks - would you trust them to knock together something cheap and easy like flapjacks or ice lollies or something?

MachiKoro Mon 01-Aug-16 09:39:02

I find it's fruit that costs so much!
V hard with two ceoliacs though, can't just load them with carbs.

Lagirafe Mon 01-Aug-16 09:45:19

Yep I can relate to this!

Kids love to snack! I've limited mine to normal meals and then a snack at 10.30 and 3pm.

Can't afford it otherwise!

VioletBam Mon 01-Aug-16 09:55:34

I can relate and you sound like you buy the same stuff as I do.

I have two aged 12 and 8 and they eat a "weeks worth" in three days.

I bake...I make basic muffins and cheese scrolls twice a week....it's cheap to do and they last. I buy non brand spreads and jams....buy popcorn kernels and let them pop it...with salt added it's nice.

VioletBam Mon 01-Aug-16 09:56:20

Oooh you can't load them with carbs I see!

What a nightmare! I would be making them go out scrumping! grin

Goingtobeawesome Mon 01-Aug-16 10:02:26

Yesterday I made more than 12 scones, and we had a roast dinner lunch. Four scones left.

This morning I've made roast dinner pie and ds opted to have it at lunch so I'll makes chips and beans with it.

Tea will be the focaccia I have proving in the airing cupboard plus picky bits from the fridge. I've also made a banana cake which is very healthy and filling.

Just looking for what else I can make. I'm determined I won't do a big shop until Saturday as there tonnes of food in. They've just got fussy while I've been unwell and less on the ball.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now