Talk

Advanced search

Italian Telephones??

(7 Posts)
TheHuntingOfTheSarky Sun 31-Jul-16 17:32:15

Long story but to summarise, my Mum (80) has been in hospital for 10 days after a planned operation. I and one of my brothers have been looking after things for her as my Dad is in a care home (dementia).

Other brother flew to Italy on holiday 3 days after my Mum was admitted. This isn't an issue - their holiday was booked for months and couldn't easily be changed. However, my Mum's op ended up being v complicated with lots of side effects and she has had to stay in hospital a lot longer than anticipated. I travelled up there with my 2 DDs for a week to visit her etc and stayed in her house (250 miles away from where we live). All fine. Non-holidaying brother has also been helping out. I've now had to come home but will go back and forth up there as much as possible over the coming weeks to do what I can.

My issue is, yesterday I get a call from holiday brother - our first contact with him since the op. He tried to tell me he hadn't been able to call before then as their mobile provider messed them around with their international minutes, plus the apartment they're in doesn't have a land line.

Personally, I call bullshit and think his behaviour is very U. He has a history of putting his own parents' needs after those of his wife's family but honestly, this seems very dodgy to me. My question is therefore AIBU not to believe him and to think that during 6 days in Europe he should have made it a priority to find a pay phone?

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Sun 31-Jul-16 19:55:22

Aww come on I need reassurance I'm not just being intolerant! wink

Jenijena Sun 31-Jul-16 19:59:39

Yanbu, phones in Italy wish perfectly well.

ABloodyDifficultWoman Sun 31-Jul-16 20:01:43

I wouldn't believe him. Even when my DS was a youngish teen he was perfectly capable of calling home from Italy. It's Italy, you know, not Burkina Faso!
grin

hollyisalovelyname Sun 31-Jul-16 20:10:07

Sounds like one of my brothers.

Ginkypig Sun 31-Jul-16 20:19:24

From my understanding most city's in Europe have a thing called a phone card which you buy (in most newsagents) to use in a phone box which again from my understanding are phones that are for the use of the general public that have a "box" around them for a semblance of privacy. Both the cards and the boxes are quite common apparently.

grin

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Sun 31-Jul-16 21:24:45

I've been pretty much NC with him for years due to his apparent belief that his children are more significant than mine simply because they arrived first. This latest episode just reinforces my opinion that he doesn't really give a crap for any of us angry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now