Talk

Advanced search

To think this isn't even In the same league?

(12 Posts)
WrappedInABlankie Sun 31-Jul-16 01:31:10

So just read an article that has the headline "British kids learn to switch on the tv before they can tie their shoelaces"

I mean pressing 1 button isn't the same as knots and loops really is it. confused

Euphemia Sun 31-Jul-16 07:46:27

Daft! Tying shoelaces is hard!

FiveFullFathoms Sun 31-Jul-16 07:48:06

How ridiculous. Of course they do. Turning on the TV consists of pressing a single button. Tying shoelaces involves much more dexterity.

TheDowagerCuntess Sun 31-Jul-16 07:50:07

😂 Shocker.

YANBU.

Lules Sun 31-Jul-16 07:51:38

I could read and write before I could tie my shoelaces. I think I did find it unusually hard though

BitchPerfect Sun 31-Jul-16 09:08:14

Most kids struggle to tie shoe laces because most shoes are Velcro.

Cookingongas Sun 31-Jul-16 09:11:53

We'll surely that's been the case for decades?!? If anything TVs are harder now to turn on than in the past. Still nowhere near as difficult as shoelaces!

Pardonwhat Sun 31-Jul-16 09:13:07

grin

APotterWithAHappyAtmosphere Sun 31-Jul-16 09:13:35

Yep, DS worked out how to switch the TV on before he was 3 by pressing the button on the TV itself and has recently worked out the remote control (although not which channel CBeebies is grin ) - it's not indicative of how much TV he watches, it's just he's interested in how things work and it's a fairly simple thing to do.

He's also recently learnt to tie a knot in his dressing gown but will be a while before laces I think.

lljkk Sun 31-Jul-16 09:45:12

I was born in the 1960s & generally have good fine motor skills.
I couldn't tie my laces until I was 8yo, and I'm still terrible at it.
Don't understand using laces-tying as an important milestone at all.
Especially nowadays when most kid shoes are velcro. Even as an adult, I say who would ever choose laces if velcro shoes gave us all equally secure fit!

davos Sun 31-Jul-16 10:14:59

Dd could recognise the numbers 1-9 at 3. So he could easily press the to button and put 612 (Disney channel on). I would expect kids to know some numbers before they can tie their shoe laces.

Pressing an on button is something kids learn to do very young. Baby/toddler toys often have switched or buttons to press. Kids know they press that button and something happens. So they do it. They can learn this very young.

It's a ridiculous comparison to make.

davos Sun 31-Jul-16 10:15:16

Sorry Ds not Dd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now