Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to be bothered about dogs off the leash?

(24 Posts)
Bettersleepoutdoors Fri 29-Jul-16 20:08:30

A piece of land in a residential area, ( this grassed area is council owned, I believe) is frequented by dogs and their owners/ walkers. It's pretty small, like a "green" on a housing estate.
I often visit my friend who lives there and we take the dcs out for a walk/ scoot but it is becoming increasingly difficult because a few of these dogs (all off the leash) bound up to us and the dcs and jump and bark.
When I have asked who's dog is this? Or can you call your dog back? The dog walkers have been dismissive, ignoring me or making defensive remarks, certain.y not bringing their dogs to heel.
Is it unreasonable to expect that if a dog cannot be controlled by the owner's command then it should be on a leash? The kids are becoming increasingly scared and I am worreid about them being hurt.
What is a reasonable course of action here?

IJustAteTheKidsFoodAgain Fri 29-Jul-16 20:09:18

Isn't the last dog thread still going?

IJustAteTheKidsFoodAgain Fri 29-Jul-16 20:09:58

Maybe take photos and speak to the council?

Bettersleepoutdoors Fri 29-Jul-16 20:11:07

What last dog thread?

MuffyTheUmpireSlayer Fri 29-Jul-16 20:12:58

this thread. Yes, still going!

MoonStar07 Fri 29-Jul-16 20:13:18

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2695652-Dog-owners-put-them-on-a-lead

Bettersleepoutdoors Fri 29-Jul-16 20:14:44

Ok. So its considered ok for people to allow their dogs to jump up at people.
How fucking depressing.

ZenMom Fri 29-Jul-16 20:16:41

It depends.

If they cannot be controlled then they should not be off lead and if you are threatened or they are aggressive you would need to report them.

Id think hard though. The dogs don't sound aggressive just playful (jumping and barking as you've described them, is playful IMHO as opposed to jumping on you, growling or biting) and as a dog lover i would hate to see someone reported needlessly. Especially with all the bsl just now.

I have no objection to well trained dogs being off lead.

Bettersleepoutdoors Fri 29-Jul-16 20:19:45

Tbh, i'm probably not overly fussed about the leash thing, if you can call your dog back to heel straight away then its not really a danger is it?
But literally every dog in this "field" bounds about uncontrolled.
I didnt see the previous dog post and wasn't aware there was a limit on the numb of canine related questions, but is that ok? For large dogs to jump up at people in public? Do we have to put up with that?

Bettersleepoutdoors Fri 29-Jul-16 20:21:05

Xits possible theyre not aggressive. But a large doberman ju,ping up at the face of a four year old is dangerous, even if it isn't aggressive. Dogs do not have retractable claws and they are heavy.

Bettersleepoutdoors Fri 29-Jul-16 20:21:42

So barking and jumping up is ok?

Pixie1991 Fri 29-Jul-16 20:22:43

I agree op personally I've been often put off going to the park with dc as there have been dogs running round with no sign of owners

Paintedhandprints Fri 29-Jul-16 21:43:00

Yabu. Dogs are much more important than everything else. How very dare you even suggest the poor baby dogs freedom is curbed in anyway. hmm sarcastic emoticon

Shizzlestix Fri 29-Jul-16 21:53:25

YANBU, I have the same issue, but mine is because my dog will try to kill any other dog that gets in his face.

Is there anywhere nicer than what sounds like scrubland that you could walk with your friend? Or go to somewhere halfway between you and her? Like a decent park with child friendly facilities.

StarryIllusion Fri 29-Jul-16 22:01:58

Why don't you fend them off with a big stick. The one you use for shit stirring ought to be plenty big enough.

IJustAteTheKidsFoodAgain Fri 29-Jul-16 22:06:15

Dogs claws are retractable? Do dogs know this? I never knew that! I thought it was just cats, and I'm sure my dog has never been aware. Every day is a school day here.

IJustAteTheKidsFoodAgain Fri 29-Jul-16 22:07:29

Oh sorry, they dont have retractable claws blush I was about to check my poor sleeping dog

DiseasesOfTheSheep Fri 29-Jul-16 22:09:49

I'm baffled by the OP's responses as nobody has said it's ok. It's not ok for any dog to be out of control in a public place, for it to jump up and harass passers by. I'm amazed people still ask if they're being unreasonable to object to it. That said, it's pretty hard to get people to stop doing unreasonable things, even if they're illegal - people suck.

As a dog owner, I defend my right to walk my well trained dog off lead in safe places (knowing that he isn't remotely interested in you or your children). The other one, however, is leashed and muzzled and kept well away from everyone grin

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 29-Jul-16 22:13:37

Nobody has said its okay, just one or two have pointed you in the direction of the other threads about the evil that is dogs.

IJustAteTheKidsFoodAgain Fri 29-Jul-16 22:19:36

It's AIBU, to be fair to the OP, it's expected that at least one poster will claim that the OP is unreasonable, no matter how reasonable they are in fact being. Perhaps OP just answered the expected responses. OP YANBU, but many posters are overly invested in the similar thread currently running so the more extreme responses are there. Although I believe the general consensus is that dogs off a lead should not be out of control.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 29-Jul-16 22:21:49

Should say, yanbu.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Fri 29-Jul-16 22:23:59

YANBU. Everyone thinks their pet is harmless. How can they know that?

TortoiseVTurtle Fri 29-Jul-16 22:25:53

Lol

Bettersleepoutdoors Sat 30-Jul-16 08:07:00

I read the thread that someone linked to and my remark was in response to the many comments i read in defence of dogs who jump up at strangers.

Yes, we could go elsewhere, but the dcs are very small and the area we walk on is right across from their house, like a large lawn. Lots of the children locally used to play there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now