Talk

Advanced search

To think she should have not taken this job if she can't make her own way there?

(32 Posts)
FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Fri 29-Jul-16 18:56:07

I know someone on FB who has recently gotten a new job - her old job was close to her house and she walked to work. New job is 5/6 miles away.

New job will involve working weekends and late nights, we live in a rural area so a lot of the roads are not really suitable for walking on, especially at night (narrow winding lanes, no streetlights, no pavements, etc). Public transport is not good and non existent on Sunday's/ after 10pm. She does not drive.

Every day so far this week she has posted on FB asking her friends for lifts to work - Aibu to think she shouldn't have taken this job if she has to rely on other people to get her to work? One of her friends actually responded that there was a bus that went to said destination but she responded "I know but it's easier to get a lift grin"!

Aibu to think she is being a bit cheeky expecting people to give her lifts to work every day? If it was as a one off then fair enough but constant lifts seem a bit much.

RaspberryOverload Fri 29-Jul-16 18:58:29

A one-off, I might offer a lift for, but she knows she has adequate bus transport, so definitely cheeky. I agree she shouldn't have taken the job without being certain she could get herself there.

Missgraeme Sun 31-Jul-16 22:48:05

Tell her u have seen some cycles on Gumtree for sale!!

oldestmumaintheworld Sun 31-Jul-16 22:51:08

I'd ignore it. She's clearly an p* taking idiot.

AtSea1979 Sun 31-Jul-16 22:54:17

In answer to your question why not take the job she clearly has other people running around after her. But YANBU to think she's cheeky. Why exactly are you friends with her?

CalleighDoodle Sun 31-Jul-16 22:56:34

Of course she is cheeky. But just dont offer!

FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Sun 31-Jul-16 22:59:27

I haven't offered, I don't have a car so it's not directed at me but I just think it's cheeky!

She did it again yesterday, sent a message at 10pm asking for a lift home :/

SabineUndine Sun 31-Jul-16 23:02:00

People will get tired of this very quickly and she'll come unstuck. Big time.

FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Sun 31-Jul-16 23:06:26

I just wonder what she would do if no one offered a lift! At that time of night she wouldn't be able to get a bus and would be stuck with a pretty dodgy 5/6 mile walk home.

rollonthesummer Sun 31-Jul-16 23:07:38

Is it the same people offering a life each time? They'll soon get fed up!

SquidgyRedBall Sun 31-Jul-16 23:09:27

She would probably have to get a taxi home but a lift would be so much cheaper for her. People like this piss me off.

Crunchymum Sun 31-Jul-16 23:25:41

Suggest she sets up a gofundme page for lessons and a car grin

Airandmungbeans Sun 31-Jul-16 23:26:41

I can't see this job lasting very long!

Diamogs Sun 31-Jul-16 23:32:40

Maybe she is learning to drive with the expectation that the need for lifts is only short term? It's a bit of a risk if that is the case, and a bit of a cheek of her to expect all and sundry to deliver her there and back to work.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Sun 31-Jul-16 23:34:07

There's a woman who keeps posting on our local fb page asking stuff like "anyone going to Tesco today? I need x/y/z". Cheeky cahhhhshock Not even a please.

FedupofbeingtoldIcantusemyname Sun 31-Jul-16 23:38:36

She definitely isn't learning to drive yet!

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Sun 31-Jul-16 23:50:39

She won't need to if all her friends play taxigrin

mellowfartfulness Sun 31-Jul-16 23:52:36

YANBU. I don't drive and I cringe when other non-drivers wheedle to be driven places. Adults need to take responsibility for getting themselves around. I sometimes accept lifts when they're offered (my friends are v generous about it actually and I feel quite uncomfortable that I can't reciprocate) but I would never expect or count on it to get me somewhere. If there was a bus I could get, I'd be embarrassed to have someone drive me!

trafalgargal Mon 01-Aug-16 00:19:24

Sorry but she is not a friend just someone you know on Facebook ..so presumably you don't actually know her reasons for changing jobs, furthermore you don't drive either so she won't be asking you for lifts .

Why are you motivated enough to open a thread about something that doesn't impact on you in any way whatsoever ?

Mrsfrumble Mon 01-Aug-16 00:23:09

Me too mellowfartfulness. They give those of us who don't drive but take responsibility for getting ourselves around and don't expect lifts a bad name!

Asking on FB late at night, when she knows that someone will give in and collect her out of concern for her safety, is especially manipulative.

JenLindley Mon 01-Aug-16 00:41:00

I wonder if she was in a position where she had no choice but to take the job? You know how the job centre can make you apply for all sorts of impractical or unsuitable jobs?

Having said that there are few people who are always popping up on my fb feed asking for lifts when they could easily walk or get a taxi. Its really irritating.

Nerfattackqueen Mon 01-Aug-16 00:44:23

Is there a reason she isn't learning to drive or can't drive?

Rainbow Mon 01-Aug-16 00:44:34

YANBU. People keep offering, so she keeps posting. As soon as people get fed up with it all and stop offering, she'll stop.posting 😊

Doinmummy Mon 01-Aug-16 00:52:51

We've had a new member of staff start recently who is moaning that she lives such a long distance away!

As if our building has mysteriously upped sticks and moved itself 10 miles further away confused

Doinmummy Mon 01-Aug-16 00:54:09

How will she get there if the lifts dry up ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now