Advanced search

To report their business???

(20 Posts)
iloveberries Fri 29-Jul-16 18:24:10

I used a small business for a £200 project.

They did an awful job and I complained and they offered to give the money back. The money never materialised and they have no refused to give the money back.

I don't know how to handle this. Part of me thinks I should just let it go but £200 is a lot of money.

I have tried to find their business online but apart from a Facebook page there is no record, no company accounts, no record of registration etc. I don't know if they pay tax - or even if you need to if you're a small business!

I don't want to write them a crappy review on their business Facebook page but I am really annoyed that they've taken my money, done a crap job and then said they'll refund then changed their mind.

SquinkiesRule Fri 29-Jul-16 19:14:46

Small claims court?

iloveberries Fri 29-Jul-16 19:27:26

I don't know if I can do that... Would it end up costing me?

I was thinking of reporting their business as I'm pretty sure they don't pay tax. But I don't know if there is any exemption on small businesses and tax?

wasonthelist Fri 29-Jul-16 19:32:24

Report to whom?

Most of that Company registration stuff applies to Limited Companies and Partnerships but not sole traders.

They should pay tax on earnings like anyone - you could try "shopping" them to HMRC if you like but given their lack of interest in my sister's ex who is a self-confessed and very proud tax dodger and benefit cheat, I wouldn't hold your breath.

If you want your £200 you could use small claims as suggested but that may or may not work - even with judgement in your favour (which I got once) it's hard to get them to pay up.

If you paid by credit card, the card company is jointly liable - Section 75

wasonthelist Fri 29-Jul-16 19:34:27

Small claims is £25 if you do it online -

mrgrouper Fri 29-Jul-16 19:40:23

I used to work as a sole trader and so none of my accounts were public and I was not listed with Companies House. Is there a Ltd at the end of the company name?

iloveberries Sat 30-Jul-16 21:38:32


iloveberries Sat 30-Jul-16 21:39:30

I'm so angry they just now aren't replying to me. I don't want to go and write rubbish reviews on their Facebook page but don't know what to do

ProfessorPreciseaBug Sat 30-Jul-16 21:45:38

Small claims takes a vey long time.. I am going through a claim at the moment and it has taken nine months to get to having to be notofied of a court date..
and before you get somewhere, you will need to go to court.. there are extra costs that appear as time goes on.,

it may not worth the cost per hour of your time to go through the whole thing for just £200.

mrsfuzzy Sat 30-Jul-16 21:47:28

get advice from c.a.b.

LauderSyme Sat 30-Jul-16 21:50:23

I don't understand why you are unwilling to write a review on their FB page?
If what you write is honest and shows up their business to be crappy or rubbish, then that is their fault not yours!
You'd be doing a favour to any other potential customers who might also get ripped off.
It seems like a FB review may be your only effective recourse in any case, based on what pp's have said. Do it!

iloveberries Sun 31-Jul-16 12:20:41

I will probably write the review but it's a friend of a friend's business so a bit awkward. I genuinely don't want to be difficult but I don't really know what else to do sad

RoganJosh Sun 31-Jul-16 12:23:53

I would message through Facebook to ask for the money to be paid as a matter of urgency as you'd rather not have to write a bad review and pursue it though the small claims court.

T0ddlerSlave Sun 31-Jul-16 14:45:06

Could you pm them saying you'll write an honest review if they don't cough up?

iloveberries Sun 31-Jul-16 19:56:34

Yes - I could do both those things. I just feel so awkward because it's a friend of a friend but it is business I guess....

The last couple of times I have PMd them they have just ignored me

Dutchcourage Sun 31-Jul-16 19:58:08

Judge Rinder?

Smurfnoff Sun 31-Jul-16 19:58:55

Business is business. Your friend might feel awkward, but is that worth being £200 out of pocket?

JennyHolzersGhost Sun 31-Jul-16 20:07:40

Friend-focused option: tell friend and ask their advice on how to handle it.

Businesslike option: contact business, threaten with small claims court and bad Facebook review, if no satisfaction then follow through on that.

Unless your friend referred you to the business in the first place I'd go for the second one personally.

iloveberries Sun 31-Jul-16 20:23:24

Spoke to my friend who was of the mindset that "business is business" and what they'd done isn't good....

JennyHolzersGhost Sun 31-Jul-16 20:26:42

Well crack on with it then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now