Talk

Advanced search

to ask if being vegan...

(23 Posts)
cjt110 Fri 29-Jul-16 15:13:51

...makes your farts stink?

Have this week decided to cut out meat and dairy from my diet after seeing and hearing how much better my aunt is feeling for doing the same. I don't eat eggs anyway so I guess that would mean I'm trying the vegan lifestyle?

Anyway, I have had soya milk, quorn products and lots of veg and legumes etc.

My farts stink. Is this normal?! hmmshockenvy< sick face

glitterwhip Fri 29-Jul-16 15:19:12

This made me laugh actually but yea it can do ..I had a friend who was vegetarian not vegan but she ate a lot of meat substitutes and she said it made her farts stink blush but I guess any change in diet, especially to one where you're eating a lot of fibrous food is bound to change your..bowel habits? Lol I'm sure you'll get a lot more knowledgable replies than mine lol

Birdsgottafly Fri 29-Jul-16 15:23:23

When I was Vegetarian and ate Quorn, they did.

It always takes a while for your digestive system to get used to a new way of eating.

I've been seriously ill and had to go from being Vegan to Vegetarian and I hate the way I smell when I go to the toilet.

The one thing that I noticed when I first went Vegan was how my sense of smell increased towards some things.

mathsmum314 Fri 29-Jul-16 15:27:29

Your body will adjust, its just the change in diet.

cjt110 Fri 29-Jul-16 15:38:27

<<Bows at glitterwhip whilst ensuring not to guff!>> grin

Thank god or not that I haven't got something wrong with me! My husband has said how I stink and all I can say, is thank god I'm in my office on my own....

So far I have really enjoyed it. I am doing it as said above for the health and weight loss benefits but also my son is dairy free due to a cows milk protein allergy and also eats very little meat. As such I found I was always giving him toast, or beans or boring simple stuff. This way, I have found myself looking for tasty df, mf meals for myself and my husband and my son can have them too.

Last night's df and mf lasagne was SO much tastier Birdsgottafly wonder if affects your taste buds too?

PaperdollCartoon Wed 03-Aug-16 19:05:13

My farts have stayed the same smell as far as I can tell... But could well be all the extra beans/lentils etc

jmh740 Wed 03-Aug-16 22:33:32

Obviously I never farther because I'm a real lady wink but I have noticed my pee smells when I eat quorn bacon

OwlinaTree Wed 03-Aug-16 22:37:29

My friend's family calls the quorn roast 'trump roast' so I think you could be onto something!

catmadmum Thu 04-Aug-16 09:54:20

A lot of quorn isn't vegan as contain eggs so just make sure you check that!

PaperdollCartoon Fri 05-Aug-16 07:53:11

Yep, 99% of Quorn isn't vegan (unfortunately) so do watch out for that. Fry's range is amazing and vegan though, highly recommend.

ChanelNo314 Fri 05-Aug-16 08:02:51

NO! I'm not vegan but I am a vegetarian who sometimes has a 'run' of being vegan and no, it doesn't.

Wouldn't have been consuming much quorn though. Don't like it much. i used to make a thai curry and throw in a few chunks of quorn so I could tell my kids it was a chicken curry and then fish those bits aside for them.

AllOfTheWinePlease Fri 05-Aug-16 10:50:45

Good for you, stick with it! 😊
Give it a couple weeks and you'll be back to normal, haha! Then that's when the feeling very healthy/energetic starts!

bombayflambe Fri 05-Aug-16 10:52:58

If you don't usually eat eggs then be aware that Quorn contains albumin as a binder. That may be to root of the issue.

Hastalapasta Fri 05-Aug-16 10:53:52

I don't eat meat substitutes but do notice a wiff if I have enjoyed too many lentils...blush

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Fri 05-Aug-16 10:57:03

I think it's the sudden increase in fibre in your diet when you go from being a meat eater to veggie. It happened to me too, but after a week or so my guts appeared to get used to the new diet and everything settles down blush

Wannabe2015 Fri 05-Aug-16 10:57:39

It depends what vegan food you eat. If you're eating loads of beans and meat substitutes then yes. Your farts will stink.

Eat lots of pasta, potatoes,fruit and veg and they won't.

But it takes a few weeks for your digestion to adjust either way so it should be a temporary problem.

Going vegan is a brilliant thing to do. I did it at the start of the year and haven't looked back. Good luck!

LaContessaDiPlump Fri 05-Aug-16 11:01:22

I don't fart much but have been vegan for a while!! Lentils amplify it, as do brassicas. Never eaten quorn so can't comment.

By the way: Lotus biscuit spread is vegan. You're welcome grin

AudreyBradshaw Fri 05-Aug-16 11:02:25

I made a quorn spaghetti bolognese once...once and never again. I could have felled an elephant with the aroma from my arse. My dh is not soft but at one point he actually gagged/wretched and his eyes were watering, at that point i went to sleep in the spare room with the window open and a fan on. It was like the sun had been beaming down on a thousand rotting corpses that evening.

logosthecat Fri 05-Aug-16 11:02:54

I think that any change of diet can throw you off for a bit! grin

AllOfTheWinePlease Fri 05-Aug-16 11:28:11

OMG the lotus biscuit spread drools

RedLarvaYellowLarva Fri 05-Aug-16 11:33:45

I smell better now than I did when I ate meat/dairy.
Too much sugar makes us smell worse.

My babies are raised vegan, and MIL said their nappies are the least offensive of any baby she's known. She had four herself, and there are another six GC, so I think that's proof! grin Veganism for the win!

VestalVirgin Fri 05-Aug-16 12:07:48

Must be the quorn. The only meat-replacement thing I eat is wheat protein, and I don't have that problem. (Just more farts after eating beans, but not stinkier ones)

My babies are raised vegan, and MIL said their nappies are the least offensive of any baby she's known. She had four herself, and there are another six GC, so I think that's proof!

Vegan doesn't mean you didn't breastfeed ... does it? confused

I've heard baby nappies only start to stink when formula or solid food is added, so I'd think that during the breastfeeding time, you'd have a similar no-stink episode. wink

LaContessaDiPlump Fri 05-Aug-16 13:23:59

Vegans will happily breastfeed, but often give you the hmm look if you ask whether this puts the vegan status of their baby in doubt (i.e. consuming animal products)........ I think Redlarva means she breastfed and that her babies (who were also vegan) had nicer nappies as a result of no milk/egg/meat derivatives passing down the line from either their food or their milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now