Visiting nursing home with toddler

(20 Posts)
viviennewestood Fri 29-Jul-16 10:25:25

This is more of a WWYD.

My grandma is 93 today and lives in a nursing home. It's not a nice place to be, there are lots of people with alzheimers who are very unpredictable and there can be lots of shouting and crying out etc.

My grandma is in a special chair and can't be moved without a lot of effort so going to her room isn't an option.

I'm undecided as to whether to take dd or not?

summerainbow Fri 29-Jul-16 10:56:40

Take her she cheer everyone up .

Only1BabyPigeon Fri 29-Jul-16 10:59:24

Take her. Take some toys she likes, some crayons and colouring books. Maybe a couple of biscuits she likes.

I'm sure she won't take much notice of things, but obviously it will be easier to judge when she's there. If it's upsetting for her no one will mind if you leave.

I think most elderly love to see little ones.

TheRealKimmySchmidt63 Fri 29-Jul-16 11:02:35

Take her I used to bring my ds to visit my godmother all the time - as pp stated bring a few bits to keep her occupied- lovely for your grab take a few pics of the 3 of you too enjoy 💐

NeedACleverNN Fri 29-Jul-16 11:03:20

Take her but be prepared to leave if either your Dd or another patient has an episode

TheRealKimmySchmidt63 Fri 29-Jul-16 11:03:48

Kids are often more resilient than we give them credit for

Whatdoesaduckdo Fri 29-Jul-16 11:05:00

Take her. I took my toddlers to visit my granda in his nursing home when he was in his late nineties he loved it and the other residents loved it and made such a fuss my girls lives going for a wee sit in the day room snuggling in and listening to the residents - I think more children should visit

timelytess Fri 29-Jul-16 11:06:25

dgd used to visit my mum, who loved to see her. care homes are not nice places but visitors mean the world to residents.

CMOTDibbler Fri 29-Jul-16 11:06:47

I wouldn't take her, unless she'll be content to sit in her pushchair with a toy. Not all people with dementia like small children, and certainly my mum is very unpredictable with them

cudbywestrangers Fri 29-Jul-16 11:13:12

I took my ds to visit my grandad in various care homes. It was never easy but definitely worth the effort! And the staff and residents always seemed very happy to see him. If her own room isn't an option it might be worth phoning the home before you so the staff can make sure she is in the best place possible for you to go with a toddler without causing upset. Ds never seemed bothered by the other residents although he would be asking lots of questions if we went now he is a bit older

YorkieDorkie Fri 29-Jul-16 11:16:47

Definitely take her! The oldies adore little kids smile I used to be a HCA and they were talking about the "little kiddies" for days afterwards!

OTheHugeManatee Fri 29-Jul-16 11:17:10

Take her. The way the elderly are increasingly kept sequestered from the rest of the population harms all generations. She may dimly remember visiting her great-grandma as she gets older, and will otherwise come to no harm, and seeing a young child may well be a ray of sunshine to many residents in the home.

peneleope82 Fri 29-Jul-16 11:18:40

We take our 2 children (2 and 1) to visit a relative in a nursing home and it seems to be so cheering for all the residents.

Last time we went an elderly lady came into the living room bit all excited saying 'I heard there's children here!'. It made my heart hurt.

Ratbagcatbag Fri 29-Jul-16 11:21:00

When dd was a baby a few of the residents asked if they could hold dd. I was fine and it moved a couple of them to tears. As she got older they loved chatting and waving at her. Dfil was super proud of his dgd and the residents genuinely loved it. It was only for 30 mins to an hour at a time though.

DangerQuakeRhinoSnake Fri 29-Jul-16 11:23:24

It will be worth it to cheer your grandma up surely?

LyndaNotLinda Fri 29-Jul-16 11:25:26

I would take her. My DS was always very popular when I visited my gran.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Fri 29-Jul-16 11:27:35

My granny was in a nursing home at the end of her life. We always took our DC to see her when we could. PPs are right; it was a lovely time for Granny and a lot of the other residents when little ones were around smile

viviennewestood Fri 29-Jul-16 11:29:11

I'm going to take her smile I think I'll regret it I don't and it will hopefully make my grandma very happy.

blueturtle6 Fri 29-Jul-16 11:30:30

Take toddler, but take another person in case another resident has an episode. We have same issue, one carries baby, other gets doors/security locks and generally fends off any shouty residents until.nurses come

HopperBusTicket Fri 29-Jul-16 11:30:40

I agree with others. If your daughter is old enough you could explain that some of the people in the home aren't very well and if they shout out she shouldn't be frightened and you will be there to take care of her. But my suspicion is that she'll be fine and your gran and the other residents will absolutely love to see her. My grandma had dementia and her face absolutely lit up when my sister took her baby son to see her. Pure happiness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now