Talk

Advanced search

Job interview

(8 Posts)
Namechanged1213 Fri 29-Jul-16 00:04:14

When they inevitably ask why you want to leave your current job and the answer is you can't tolerate your psycho newish boss so you're running for freedom?! What do I say?

User100 Fri 29-Jul-16 00:05:19

Something that isn't that. Are you at least applying for promotion? How long have you been in your current role?

BadLad Fri 29-Jul-16 00:09:56

I don't think it's a good idea to criticise anything in a job interview unless you are absolutely certain you are constructively criticising, so I suggest thinking of something else completely.

heehaaw Fri 29-Jul-16 00:10:29

That you're looking for a new challenge. You've learnt a lot, gained some great skills, etc but want to try applying them to a new area which is more suited to you.

Namechanged1213 Fri 29-Jul-16 00:13:20

Depends how you look at it. I guess it's a side step but the company I've applied for is better and would increase my job aspects in the future. I've been in this current job a year, worked at another company for 10 years same role but the place closed so we were made redundant.

I know this isn't really Aibu but I was just wondering the good responses I could use about why I'm leaving said job

EBearhug Fri 29-Jul-16 00:28:32

Things you can talk about - looking for a new challenge; want experience in a bigger/smaller company; want experience in a public/private organisation; interviewing organisation offers better future opportunities than current employer; want specific experience in (something new company has that old doesn't); really want to work for new company; like the ethos of new company (you can elaborate with talk about charitable support, employee support, company products, if relevant - obviously you will need to have researched, but then you should have done that anyway.)

Do not mention psycho boss. While it may be true that most people join a company and leave a manager, you have to play the game and pretend it's not like that. You should be able to come up with enough things which are more or less true and positive without mentioning that.

Daisygarden Fri 29-Jul-16 00:31:17

Flattery is always good. Say you've been looking for the right opportunity to join the new company because they have done X, have achieved X, are well known in the industry for X etc etc. Chance to show off your research.

Make it not about why you're leaving but about where you want to progress to and why. Everything you say should be positive.

Daisygarden Fri 29-Jul-16 00:35:34

In other words, make out the new company is your target, not just that you want to work for a bigger/smaller company or opportunities in general.

You should also focus more on what you can bring to the new company than what you want out of a role, like more experience, better future opportunities etc. It might well be the case but it comes across as me, me me and makes an potential employer think they might be just a stepping stone. Also, they might well know that there won't be any particular progression to the next level in your job for 3 years or so, which might be fine for you, but if you are talking too much about progressing and what you want, they might feel they can't satisfy your personal objectives medium-long term and you'd be off again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now