work woes

(11 Posts)
Katy92 Thu 28-Jul-16 19:24:05

AIBU?

I asked my boss if I could share a piece of information as I was unsure if it was okay to do so... He said yeah it's fine to, so, I did.

Fast forward two weeks and i'm hauled into a room for gross misconduct for sharing said information and told i've got a disciplinary meeting next week where it's possible I could be sacked...

Who would you say's at fault here? I was told it was okay by someone more senior when asking for help- it wasn't something I just done without permission? I'd like to point out i've NEVER been in trouble before!

RubbleBubble00 Thu 28-Jul-16 19:25:50

Did you email or ask in person? I'd be contacting Union now if you have one

RichardBucket Thu 28-Jul-16 19:27:00

Did you ask/get permission in writing?

Is your boss denying it or is he backing you up?

What a horrible situation flowers

Cutecat78 Thu 28-Jul-16 19:27:05

Second contact your Union?

Amelie10 Thu 28-Jul-16 19:28:13

Did you get written confirmation that it was ok to share this information? There usually are procedures to follow with sensitive information.

Katy92 Thu 28-Jul-16 19:34:43

It was verbal. He doesn't EVER reply to emails. There is cctv but no sound to prove it. Several times after the event he was reminded what had happened and he didn't say 'oh no you shouldn't have done that' just said okay again...

He's denying all involvement and said it was all my doing...

How do I find out if I have a union?

microscope Thu 28-Jul-16 19:56:36

You have a union if you joined one and you pay them subs. It doesn't just happen.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Thu 28-Jul-16 19:59:52

Really hard to advise without knowing what the information was, why you shared it, what sort of line of work you're in.

And obv you don't want to divulge that on here.

Autumnchill Thu 28-Jul-16 20:08:50

If it's going to come down to your word against his then you need to sound more convincing. So think about the times you asked and make sure you have detail ie 'I asked you if I could share this information on Thursday 28th, you remember, Janet from Accounts came and asked about such and such at the same time, so and so from reception was in the office also', 'then I asked again on Friday just after you had your meeting with Bob' etc.

If his response is 'can't remember' but you keep giving examples, it gives them enough cause to question it.

Good luck, awful when you've done the right thing and it comes and bites you on the arse

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 28-Jul-16 20:50:09

Unfortunately it's your word against his. I had a boss like this who used us as a human shield any time the senior managers got shouty.

NoFanJoe Thu 28-Jul-16 21:49:43

Your boss is entirely at fault unless there's some procedure in place that shows written permission was needed. Even if there is, you clearly didn't know about it so you can at least argue that's their fault too.
Whatever the hearing outcome, you need to be looking for a transfer or a change of job anyway - how can you work for the same boss with that loss of trust?
I'm no HR person but if it was me, my tactical approach would be a switch from defensive to offensive ... so vigorous denial, outrage at being called a liar and talk about unfair dismissal. I'd demand to know when the boss's discipline hearing is given it's their screw up not yours. If they're going to sanction you then I'd at least want to feel I'd had my say and made a fight of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now