Talk

Advanced search

Dog owners put them on a lead!!!

(631 Posts)
BusyJessica Thu 28-Jul-16 14:24:44

I am a runner, Im so tired of people's dogs running and jumping on me while i'm on a run. Its always dog owners with the larger dogs, if you have a dog that is excitable and is known to chase jump and be a general nuisance to others trying to enjoy the park please put it on a lead.

I suffer severe allergies and today a dog jumped on me while i'm out running and scratched my leg. I have now got a 4 inch scratch which could scar from the knee down. The lazy owner had the dog off a lead and was very overweight so could not keep up with the dog running off ahead.

She then had the nerve to tell me i was out of order for kicking the dog off me.

Please Dog Owners put your dog on a lead.

BusyJessica Thu 28-Jul-16 14:26:22

Rant Over

Wolfiefan Thu 28-Jul-16 14:27:40

I wouldn't kick a dog. It could actually turn on you. YABU to call the owner lazy and overweight. YANBU that if a dog doesn't have good recall then it should be on a lead.

BusyJessica Thu 28-Jul-16 14:28:04

Also what about young children, Im a 5ft 8 female put a young child could be severely injured by the dog.

Also this was not a dog walking park (not a park just or mainly used for dog walkers).

CleanKingdom Thu 28-Jul-16 14:28:51

If you were running in an open park, get over yourself. Dogs have to let steam off too by running. In agree however, if an owner knows their dog is excitable or boisterous then they should take greater care.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 28-Jul-16 14:29:22

I have never seen or heard of a dog walking park in my life.

Wolfiefan Thu 28-Jul-16 14:29:33

Dogs don't have to be restricted to dog walking parks. BUT they need to have good recall.

Wolfiefan Thu 28-Jul-16 14:30:08

Some countries (like US) do have specific dog walking parks.

Whatatado Thu 28-Jul-16 14:30:28

YANBU

Sooverthis Thu 28-Jul-16 14:30:33

No yabu and slightly hysterical I do hope your leg doesn't drop off hth

Owllady Thu 28-Jul-16 14:30:36

Well I don't think the dog should be off lead either if it has such poor recall but I really don't know what the owners weight or appearance has to do with anything but now we also know you are 5ft 8.

mrgrouper Thu 28-Jul-16 14:31:20

You kicked a dog and made fat shaming comments about his owner. Nice.

MunchCrunch01 Thu 28-Jul-16 14:31:49

YABU to say dogs should be on leads, you've conflated your bad experience of a dog that was badly behaved with the vast majority of harmless large dogs that wouldn't jump up or hurt a fly. Life takes toleration, you've had a bad experience with 1 dog, that doesn't mean all large dogs should have to be on leads, they love to run as well.

BusyJessica Thu 28-Jul-16 14:32:04

Dogs have to let steam off, Yes but one is an animal.

Dog walking parks are parks that are generally not used by children or anyone else.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 28-Jul-16 14:34:40

Anyway I'm not putting my dog on a lead.

I don't walk in a park, but do walk on a footpath/shared cycle path.

Dog has good recall but I do know that she gets excited by cyclists and runners and has a tendency to follow them at full pelt, but not jump up! She couldn't catch them up for a start!

However I am vigilant and as soon as I see a cyclist or runner approach I grab her. I did get caught up by a speedy cyclist the other day who came round a bend very quickly behind us. She must have seen us but gave no warning, tried to pass at speed on a 3ft wide path and had to do an emergency stop as dog was bumbling about in the path. I don't think she was very impressed but to be honest I wasn't either. I cycle on that path and use a bell.

MunchCrunch01 Thu 28-Jul-16 14:35:17

I completely disagree. Children need to be socialized with animals otherwise they can have unwarranted fear of dogs. My local park has a committee, all the people using the park are registered and if you have a bad experience with a badly trained dog you can report it so the owner is spoken to, this is a properly functioning community park and much better than segregating children, dogs and runners into separate parks.

BusyJessica Thu 28-Jul-16 14:35:26

Its not one experience its every other run, I run 5 days a week so thats a lot.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 28-Jul-16 14:35:43

I don't know any parks which are used solely by dog walkers.

Maybe it's a London/city thing? hmm

picklypopcorn Thu 28-Jul-16 14:36:24

What makes you assume the owner was lazy? She/ he was out for a walk with his/ her dog.. are you making that assumption based on the fact he/she was overweight? hmm

If so, get a grip.

As for dogs on the lead: I have 2 dogs (I'm also overweight, shocker! shock) who are let off the lead regularly. However, if I see a runner coming both dogs are recalled and held by the harness for a couple of seconds until the runner has gone passed us. You're right, a dog shouldnt be jumping up at you but equally you shouldnt be such a precious snowflake about it and actually kick a dog! That's bloody awful!

FYI, you dont have to be thin to be a responsibly dog owner.. I dont think even you could keep up with my dogs if they decided to run, and they are basset hounds! If you had to be able to catch your dog when it's in full on running mode then no one would own them...

Here, have my very first biscuit

MunchCrunch01 Thu 28-Jul-16 14:38:12

Really you get scratched daily by large dogs? I'm wondering why you weren't wearing long leggings and not shorts. I think you just don't like dogs and are displaying a generally high level of intolerance. Howabout running in a gym? No dogs there!

whateveryousay Thu 28-Jul-16 14:41:20

YANBU

BorpBorpBorp Thu 28-Jul-16 14:42:42

Really, every other day you get hounded (lol) by dogs when you're running? Are you carrying bits of sausage in your pockets?

BusyJessica Thu 28-Jul-16 14:42:45

FYI, you dont have to be thin to be a responsibly dog owner

Absolutely but you do have to keep up with the dog that you are walking.

No i don't get scratched daily, but I do get dogs jump and chase me very often, as said every other run.

Owllady Thu 28-Jul-16 14:43:14

I don't think where you walk is relevant whothefuckissimon. How tall are you?

BusyJessica Thu 28-Jul-16 14:44:12

Lazy because she made no attempt to shout at the dog or try and get him off me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now