Bowl prep tips!

(13 Posts)
ShoeEatingMonster Thu 28-Jul-16 10:50:59

Sorry posting here for traffic!

I'm having a colonoscopy tomorrow. I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy last year (that should have been a colonoscopy but the person refused to do it so now I have to go through it all again angry)
Last time it was awful as they wouldn't let me have sedation. Won't be making that mistake again. I genuinely felt traumatised afterwards so getting a little anxious about tomorrow!

Anyway, the bowl prep is shit - literally - but I remember seeing a threat on here that I now can't find about making it more bareable. Other than chilling it what else can I do to make it go down easier?

BringingYoniBack Thu 28-Jul-16 10:54:45

It really is a case of mind over moviprep! I've yet to find a way to make it more bearable (three colonoscopies) but I'm sure you know to get a good book and settle in for the night.

Good luck.

thecitydoc Thu 28-Jul-16 12:14:51

use orange or lemon dilute juice - it takes some of the awful taste away but by no means all

Toddlerteaplease Thu 28-Jul-16 12:17:01

Maybe baby wipes instead of standard toilet roll? But don't throw them down the toilet.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Thu 28-Jul-16 12:20:57

Drink it through a straw so it goes to the back of your mouth and you can taste it a bit less.

Have a better tasting drink to wash it down afterwards.

Tbh it's mostly a case of powering through because you have to. I don't know why they can't make it nicer tasting though!

Good luck star

imonaplane Thu 28-Jul-16 12:24:21

It's vile, isn't it! For me by far the worst part of the whole procedure. I add orange squash which makes it taste slightly better but it's the texture of the drink too which is awful. Sorry, can't be more helpful. Hope it all goes ok.

BeyondBeyondBeyondBeyondBeyond Thu 28-Jul-16 12:24:47

Be prepared. Lots of magazines, iPad whatever. Yy to wet wipes
Stay upstairs and just bunker in for the night

Good luck flowers

Lemonlady22 Thu 28-Jul-16 12:25:50

its BOWEL prep not bowl....just make sure you drink plenty of water and dont get dehydrated....and makes sure you use all the prep becasue if your bowel isnt completely clear there wont be a good view and you may have to have the procedure repeated ...which may be why they didnt do the colonoscopy before

ShotsFired Thu 28-Jul-16 12:43:33

Hold your nose when you drink the concoction. It takes the taste away.

ShoeEatingMonster Thu 28-Jul-16 12:59:52

Thanks folks.
I know it's bowel not bowl honest! blush I blame my phone!
Although I'm sure bowl prep would be much more fun!

ladybagpuss Thu 28-Jul-16 13:19:31

Get some sudocream or similar to stop soreness - you can actually use olive oil too! Using wet wipes is better than toilet roll. Try and shower gently after each 'moment' (lol). Just think of the moviprep like medicine and don't pay attention to it if you see what I mean - be drinking it through a straw whilst surfing net or something.

The sedative is wonderful, it won't feel like last time so try not to worry. HTH

ShoeEatingMonster Fri 29-Jul-16 15:26:54

lady the sedation had zero affect sad it was just as awful as last time but somehow managed to power through even though he suggested we stop. Luckily the staff were all amazing and took really good care of me

ladybagpuss Fri 29-Jul-16 17:12:43

Oh no, that's not good. So many people are knocked out completely, sounds like you suffered but glad you got through it. Hope you're recovering ok now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now