Talk

Advanced search

To ask if any of you have done transcendental meditation?

(23 Posts)
Flamingo1980 Thu 28-Jul-16 07:43:03

I went to a talk on it last night and I'm very curious. There's a four day course on it (two hours each night) for about £300.
If you've done it what was the benefits? Was it what you thought it would be? Has it changed your life and if so how?
Thank you in advance.

Squills Thu 28-Jul-16 09:45:24

I did it in the 70's for a few years but haven't done it since. I don't know if the technique has changed but when I did it you were given a mantra at the course. The idea is that you focus on thinking the word, rolling it round in your mind for around 20 mins twice a day. Every time a thought comes to your mind you bring the mantra back into your thoughts - rolling the word round in your mind repeatedly until it almost becomes one with your breathing.

I found that it was beneficial, it brought a time of calm to the day - my breathing and heart rate used to fall dramatically whilst doing it. It does take discipline to take time out to do the meditation and its quite difficult to remain still and quiet for even 20 mins!

Welshmaenad Thu 28-Jul-16 10:07:55

Dear god don't pay £300. There is likely to be a Buddhist meditation group near you that you can attend for a fraction of the cost, most run on Dana (donation of what you can afford). Search Sangha and your nearest town and see what comes up.

Birdsgottafly Thu 28-Jul-16 10:15:44

Meditation is scientificly proven to have MH benefits.

I've done Transcendental Meditation and other types. I thought I'd never believe in using Crystals, but they made a difference.

You can fall back on meditation if your stressed, having trouble sleeping etc.

I agree with googling Buddhist Centres and Meditation, in your area, first.

ladybagpuss Thu 28-Jul-16 13:13:19

It is a lot of money, you're supposed to be charged according to your wage but it still feels steep.

Good idea to try other types but I'll just point out if I may that TM is supposed to be different to other types of meditation though. The TM belief is that you having to focus on eg. a candle or eg. clearing your mind, as other types of meditation aim for, is pretty impossible. They believe you can't stop thoughts by thinking in that way. So you do a particular thing which occupies your conscious mind, allowing your subconscious mind to access a space of deeper calm and peace. I know several people who swear by it but many who found it just wasn't right for them. Same with everything really, horses for courses!

I know there are lots of famous folk who credit it with turning their lives around so have a google for interviews. HTH.

ladybagpuss Thu 28-Jul-16 13:14:34

^^ sorry that's confusing. It should be 'In TM you do a ...' to separate that from talking about other types before.

Brain fail today.

Hastalapasta Thu 28-Jul-16 13:36:45

Any type of meditation is beneficial, but spending £300 is not..
YouTube is good for video instructions too.

ArabellaRockerfella Thu 28-Jul-16 14:01:25

I learnt TM over 25yrs ago and although I don't do it daily it is always there to fall back on in times of stress etc. It really is a lifesaver. I am much more able to cope with stress now and haven't had a recurrence of a stomach ulcer since I've been doing it. It also helped me cope with the sleepless nights with 3 children over the years.
There are other cheaper forms, some are even free e.g. Isha foundation www.ishakriya.co.uk
However with this you don't get such comprehensive training.
With TM you are only supposed to pay within your means so if it's too much for you, approach them with how much you can afford.

Flamingo1980 Thu 28-Jul-16 16:15:53

£300 is the price based on my pay scale. Thank you for all your suggestions, we do have a Buddha centre etc here in brighton but I'm sort of after something hardcore you know? I have really obsessive thoughts over an ex and I could really do with some help with that and I thought this could work....?

ArabellaRockerfella Thu 28-Jul-16 16:27:49

Maybe CBT would be better for you, for this issue.

ladybagpuss Thu 28-Jul-16 16:33:38

If you have obsessive thoughts circulating, I think TM would be good, because it gives you something to fill your mind, which stops other thoughts getting in so easily. Other styles which try to get you to clear your mind or concentrate only on X, can be counter productive for some people in that way, because it's too hard to do - certainly initially anyway.

So TM is different in that way. It's used a lot to help with addiction recovery (you often see former addicts in the list of followers eg. Russell Brand, David Lynch etc.) Jim Carrey practices as well and blimey, if anything can quiet down his mind it's got to be good lol.

Given that extra info, I'd go for TM personally. If it's too much of a stretch though, you could ask for a reduced rate money wise. The cost doesn't just cover the course btw, you get follow up evenings for 'checking in' ie. seeing how you're getting on, if there are any issues etc.

Anyway just my two cents, HTH.

Flamingo1980 Thu 28-Jul-16 16:50:24

Ladybagpuss what does it do that would specifically help me? It's al a bit of a mystery at this point the introductory evening was a bit vague!

ladybagpuss Thu 28-Jul-16 17:25:25

Hi, yes I think they keep it a bit vague on purpose...it's the part I don't like about it tbh.

You said about obsessive thoughts. In other types of meditation you are supposed to concentrate on a candle, or try and clear your mind of thoughts. This can be really hard to do under normal circumstances, so given what you said about obsessive ones, it could be even harder. TM occupies your conscious mind with something that is repetitive and which you don't think about, so that helps you switch off and then access a deeper more peaceful place. It can give you loads of benefits, deep relaxation or spontaneous realizations and afterward clarity of thoughts, less stressed and anxious.

However! It's just one of many methods. Like AR said upthread, maybe CBT could help and you can get that through the Docs for free, or you could try other types of meditation, even downloads from Amazon to start. I think the main thing with meditation is consistency though whatever method you try - you just have to keep doing it. With TM it is limited to 2x20 mins a day, so in that sense it doesn't take up too much time. HTH

Flamingo1980 Thu 28-Jul-16 21:50:32

Hmmm
That's a good comprehensive answer! I think it sounds like it might be good for me. Worth a try right?

KindDogsTail Thu 28-Jul-16 21:58:25

Do you need to go on the course? There are a lot of books about it, and also, if the poster who went in the seventies is describing what it would also be like now, the mantra could be anything you why would you need to be 'given' it?

In Mindlefulness, about which there are a lot of books and courses too, you use your breath and count, and when thoughts come into your head you note them with acceptance then bring your mind back to your breath. So it sounds similar. It does have great benefits.

Flamingo1980 Thu 28-Jul-16 22:11:28

I do mindfulness but it's not working for my current thoughts.
I did think about getting a book, would that suffice do you reckon?

KindDogsTail Thu 28-Jul-16 22:11:46

In mindfulness, even though you are trying to concentrate on the breath and the counting when the 'thought' comes, you don't instantly suppress it but recognise it, call it out so to speak, then go back to your breath. This helps defuse it.

Imagine you were thinking something awful. The usual impulse is to try to shut it off. With this it is the opposite, you recognise it and look at it, then let it go. So the terrible thought can lose its power bit by bit.

The other thing perhaps you might like to look into, which you can do on your own, is Emotional Freedom Technique. A very good book about it is by Valery and Paul Lynch.

You hold an idea in your mind, while you tap on a series of points on your body simultaneously (accupressure points). As you do so, another other thought may 'intrude' (as it does when you are trying to count your breaths in Mindlefulness). So, then, you take that latest 'intruder' thought, and now hold that in your mind, while you carry out a new round of the tappings.... and on it goes. As you do so, images come to you, one after the other, that are at the heart of things, and there is a great release. It is like peeling an onion.

KindDogsTail Thu 28-Jul-16 22:19:40

If you are doing mindfulness already and it's not working, have you done it after reading a really good book that explains it like The
Mirracle of Mindlefulness by Thich Nhat Hanh?

Perhaps though, something terrible has happened and you cannot stop thinking about it and you need help.Do you think your thoughts are so bad you should get counselling first?

Anyway, I am very sorry your thoughts are so troubling and obsessive.

ArabellaRockerfella Fri 29-Jul-16 13:11:23

In TM you are given a sanskrit mantra based on your body type within Ayurveda - Vata, Pitta, Kapha. This is assessed during the process.
I also went to a free meditation session (i quoted a link above) where the mantra was "I am not the body, not even the mind" used alongside deep breathing. I guess because the sanskrit mantra has no meaning it is easier to switch off, with english words you could go off on one thinking about bodies and minds etc!

Flamingo1980 Wed 17-Aug-16 22:40:54

Just to update you I've just completed the TM course and it was fab. I love doing my meditations now and they've helped me in loads of ways. Thank you for all of your lovely advice smile

ArabellaRockerfella Wed 17-Aug-16 23:18:00

Ah well done Flamingo. Hope you continue to reap the benefits. You will always have it now, no matter what, it never leaves you smile

KindDogsTail Thu 18-Aug-16 00:19:19

Thank you for updating us. That is very good news - and inspiring too!

ladybagpuss Thu 18-Aug-16 14:36:44

Aw that's a fab update thank you, so happy for you and hope it continues to be a source of help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now