We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To block upper management on Facebook?

(27 Posts)
Netflixandchill Wed 27-Jul-16 20:41:16

To give some back story I had a very bizzare complaint made against me at work involving social media and it turned out the complaint had no grounds and that I had done nothing wrong but higher management for some reason got involved. A few weeks before this happened I was friend requested on social media by these same members of management but didn't put 2 and 2 together until now.

I have become quite uncomfortable with the idea of people i don't really know from work adding me on social media but didn't want to decline incase it made work awkward, I don't have the time to trawl back over my old posts to see what dirt could be used against me so I have removed and blocked upper management instead. AIBU? Could I get into trouble for this? has anyone experienced anything similar?

PerfectlyPosed Wed 27-Jul-16 20:45:54

I think you're completely right to block them. I think it's inappropriate for managers to be "friends" with their staff tbh

MrHannahSnell Wed 27-Jul-16 20:47:07

I block all work colleagues on FB. YANBU

GerdaLovesLili Wed 27-Jul-16 20:47:17

Block away! And make sure that you have photo tagging approval on, so they won't see you as a friend of a friend.

SmallBee Wed 27-Jul-16 20:48:41

Yep. Either block them or you can set them up in a separate group, call it ' work ' or something and then choose what they can access. That way it might be a bit less obvious that you've blocked them but it'd essentially the same thing.

SwedishEdith Wed 27-Jul-16 20:48:58

Get rid of them - no need for an explanation.

flumpybear Wed 27-Jul-16 20:50:23

Block 'em!! I'm what you'd call upper management but I have only recently accepted friend requests from colleagues I'd class a friends too ... But thinking that's a mistake from both angles - not that I friend those higher up than me - it's probably best to remain friends with non work mates!

OTheHugeManatee Wed 27-Jul-16 20:51:38

I have a blanket policy of not 'friending' current work colleagues on social media. If anyone asks I just tell them that I prefer to keep work and home separate.

CrazyDuchess Wed 27-Jul-16 20:54:22

Block - I refuse to be friends with current collegues ! It's a rule that has served me well.

imwithspud Wed 27-Jul-16 20:54:43

YANBU, it's your Facebook. You are not obliged to have anyone on there who you don't feel comfortable with, regardless of whether they are management at work or not. Block away.

FannyFifer Wed 27-Jul-16 20:55:08

I never ever have work colleagues on my Facebook.

GrumpyOldBag Wed 27-Jul-16 20:56:19

I never accept friend requests from colleagues on principle.

But don't see what you need to block them?

Surely you have your privacy settings turned up high?

GrumpyOldBag Wed 27-Jul-16 20:56:33

why not what

Elledouble Wed 27-Jul-16 20:56:42

Good grief! I wouldn't have friended them in the first place. Get rid!

Netflixandchill Wed 27-Jul-16 20:58:58

i do have my privacy settings turned up high but this person was on my friends list so I didn't want to unfriend them I chose to block instead.

eurochick Wed 27-Jul-16 21:00:38

I'm the same as manatee. LinkedIn is for work contacts, other social media is for non work contacts.

44PumpLane Wed 27-Jul-16 21:02:04

I don't have people that are in my reporting line (higher or lower) as friends on Facebook even though I barely use Facebook and therefore post nothing but photos of days out with pals occasionally - so nothing at all that could impact me at work. It's just not appropriate.

AntiHop Wed 27-Jul-16 21:03:39

I think blocking isn't necessary. Just unfriend and keep your privacy settings high.

ivykaty44 Wed 27-Jul-16 21:16:51

I would block, privacy settings can be changed by Facebook on occasion.

I don't even use my real name in Facebook, it's for me and a handful of friends that's it so they know who I am.

rookiemere Wed 27-Jul-16 21:25:12

I don't accept FB friend requests from anyone I currently work with, but I also make sure that anything I post apart from in the first few days after the Brexit vote would be of concern to anyone on the basis that your FB posts last forever and unless your privacy settings are high, then future employers could go on there and find out all about you.

Gabilan Wed 27-Jul-16 21:26:20

I keep my FB pretty bland. I never mention current workplaces and I avoid current colleagues. Just block them. It's your FB. But bear in mind, they would only need a friend of yours to show them your wall. I am very wary of social media and any evidence trails it leaves.

Tigresswoods Wed 27-Jul-16 21:29:12

You've been very naive. Get in control of your settings.

penguinplease Wed 27-Jul-16 21:30:14

I block all work related people. I no more want to see pics of them on drunken nights out etc than I want them to see similar of me!

Usernamegone Wed 27-Jul-16 21:52:05

I would block everyone you work with and not mention who you work for on your FB page. If you only block upper management there is still a chance that someone else (if anyone has a grudge) will screen shot anything they don't like and send it to upper management! Make sure your security settings are high as well!

AbyssinianBanana Wed 27-Jul-16 21:57:52

Unfriend them. And if they're stupid enough to raise it with you, tell them you feel their friend request was innapropriate and not in line with the company's social media policy, and you felt pressured into accepting it.

Should shut them up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now