Advanced search

To register as partially sighted?

(36 Posts)
Albusseverus Wed 27-Jul-16 17:49:15

More of a what would you do.

My eyesight has always been terrible and has been getting progressively worse as I've gotten older (I'm in my early 30s).
I don't drive. My peripheral vision is non-existent, I can't judge distance and I have very little sight in one of my eyes. I technically could drive based on the DVLA standards, but I think I'd be a danger on the roads. I don't want to take the chance of being responsible for causing a serious accident.
I manage fine on a day to day basis with strong glasses. I rely on public transport for everything.
My optician recently floated the idea of me registering as partially sighted and I'm not sure how I feel about it.
On the one hand, the thought of free public transport (which would be extremely helpful) , reduced TV license and perhaps having a better chance at securing job interviews (it's awful but true) is very tempting.
On the other, I'm not really sure how I feel about taking something when I don't identify myself as "disabled" and others out there may need the resources on offer more than me.
But, things are getting tougher and my eyesight is just going to get worse.

What would you do? Would you register and take the free transport (but not the TV license as that's just pushing it)

Or would you leave it?

T0ddlerSlave Wed 27-Jul-16 17:51:23

If you meet the criteria go for it, you're not scamming anything just getting what you're entitled to. As you say if it's only going to get worse you might have reduced earnings in the future so you might as well save now while you can.

Simpsonsaddict Wed 27-Jul-16 17:56:04

I agree - go for it. You meet the criteria so it's not like you're scamming anyone, you are claiming what you are legitimately entitled to. And it sounds like you are the perfect example of what this sort of thing is for - a bit of help. Free transport and help to get an interview so you can work, means you'll be claiming minimal benefits,
sounds win win to me.

(And I don't think the reduced tv licence is pushing it, if you're entitled take it and use the money for something useful)

Chippednailvarnishing Wed 27-Jul-16 17:58:51

I don't really have an opinion either way, but out of interest how can you legally be able to drive but still have vision poor enough to be partially sighted? Or have I misunderstood?

lalalalyra Wed 27-Jul-16 18:00:31

I would register, especially as you say your vision is getting progressively worse. Far better to have it in place before things get even more difficult than try to sort it all out later.

Wolfiefan Wed 27-Jul-16 18:02:06

Go for it! You are in no way taking advantage. Let's face it I'm sure (like me) you would rather have perfect vision. Free transport and TV license both! I'm sure your glasses cost a fortune and aren't paid for!

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 27-Jul-16 18:06:44

For me if you need the financial help that this would provide then I would register.

I could claim DLA for my eldest child as he has type one diabetes but don't as we don't need the money and I feel therefore we shouldn't claim.

But if if will help your life and your condition is getting worse then I think you should register/claim.

Sympathy as well - it sounds hard to live with.

OkToday Wed 27-Jul-16 18:07:44

Out of curiosity do you know your prescription? My dd age 10 has quite poor vision and someone mentioned about registering her to get help toeards the cost of her glasses as the nhs voucher she gets does cover the full cost.

OkToday Wed 27-Jul-16 18:10:14

And as far as for yourself if you are entitled to it go for it, at the end of the day glasses and sunglasses are expensive and you can't cope without them.

Albusseverus Wed 27-Jul-16 18:37:01

I actually have a pretty good job-I don't claim anything now as I'm perfectly capable of working. The job stuff I alluded to was based on improving my chances of promotion. That's why I feel to cagey about it.

The DVLA allow you to drive with just adequate sight in one eye. I have that (for now). It's quite odd that I qualify for registration for partial sightedness but can still, technically, drive.

I'm horrifically long sighted. I'm -10.75 in one eye. Not sure of the rest as never asked optician! Even if you are registered as partially sighted, the glasses you are entitled to are NHS ones. The frames are great but the lenses are ridiculously thick as the NHS won't pay for the thin ones.

OkToday Wed 27-Jul-16 18:43:00

Thank you, dd is long sighted to she is + 11.75 in her right eye and + 10.50 in her left. I know what you mean about the lenses the last pair of glasses and sunglasses dd had came to a total of around £600 on top of her nhs voucher. She has a 30 degree squint that has been corrected a few times and the left eye position moved to make the right eye appear straight with glasses on.

OkToday Wed 27-Jul-16 18:44:48

She has the 1.74 index lenses if that is any help, they are the thinnest available at the moment.

summerainbow Wed 27-Jul-16 18:47:20

You will get a bus pass
won't get help with tv licence.
Can apply for pip but you will help to answer the right questions the right way.
If you get registered.

CurlyMoo Wed 27-Jul-16 18:58:56

If you meet the criteria then go for it.

On the other, I'm not really sure how I feel about taking something when I don't identify myself as "disabled" and others out there may need the resources on offer more than me.

"Disabled" is such a misnomer, according to the definition. I loathe the term actually. You don't have to be paraplegic in order to have a disability.

Jigglybum Wed 27-Jul-16 19:00:38

I say go for it.

Mari50 Wed 27-Jul-16 19:02:37

Sorry but your vision can't be good enough for driving but qualify for registration for visual impairment. To be able to drive your acuity needs to meet a certain level and you need relatively intact peripheral vision. You can have good acuity and be registered visually impaired but only if your peripheral vision is totally decimated and then you wouldn't be fit to drive. Being 'one eyed' is not qualification for VI reg (even if that eye is significantly myopic -10.75)
You need to get referred to an ophthalmolgist for registration, if you're eligible take it as it does acknowledge the difficulties you have (and makes other people acknowledge them too)

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Wed 27-Jul-16 19:26:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Coulddowithanap Wed 27-Jul-16 19:27:21

How would being registered partially sighted make you more likely to secure job interviews?

If you meet the requirements then why not register?

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Wed 27-Jul-16 19:49:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VoldysGoneMouldy Wed 27-Jul-16 19:58:49

Registering is difficult. I'm a cane user and not eligible. If you are eligible (I believe you'd need to see an ophthalmologist to have it sorted) then go for it.

misscph1973 Wed 27-Jul-16 19:58:51

My DH is registered blind (he does have some vision). It's been a proces for him mentally to ask for help from other people than me or his DM, but he's fine now, he gets assistance when he travels by train and other stuff. He runs his own company, and it was such a relief for him when he was able to employ other people to do the things that are really hard for him, and just focus on being really good at the things he can do.

I would advice that you do it, but it could take a while for you to fully accept it, and to stop worrying about the term disabled. Try to focus on what you get by registering.

hobnobsaremyfave Wed 27-Jul-16 20:07:59
Here is some information about registration.
You have to have poor vision in bothe eyes.
Registration as sight impaired (old partial sight) does not guarantee eligibility for benefits but does assist in benefit application.
Tv licence reduction is only for severe sight impairment registration.

Careforadrink Wed 27-Jul-16 20:40:26


You can be registered partially blind/sighted and still be legal to drive. My aunt is.

She was referred to a DVLA appointed optician and passed their sight requirements but meets the criteria for partial sight as declared by her consultant.

HyruleWarrior Thu 28-Jul-16 07:05:00

My ds was born with a condition that can't be corrected by glasses. He is registered and this was done by a consulatant opthamologist at our local hospital.
As others have said, you have to have to be registered as severely sight impaired (little to no vision) to be eligible for discount on tv licence. You will be eligible for a bus pass.
If your optician thinks you are eligible then why not?

Mari50 Thu 28-Jul-16 07:23:24

Careforadrink - your aunt has a very sympathetic consultant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now