Talk

Advanced search

Tell me I'm being irrational about traveling to Germany

(38 Posts)
whatsthenameofthegame Wed 27-Jul-16 16:28:17

I'm off to Bavaria next week with my toddler DC and I've just read that an explosion has gone off outside immigration offices in Zirndorf. I'm starting to wish I hadn't booked the trip. Tell me I'm being an irrational idiot and that I've got more chance of being run over by a bus at home than getting caught up in something in Germany! I'm not usually an anxious person but events over the last few months are really playing on my mind.

CaptainCrunch Wed 27-Jul-16 16:30:16

You're not irrational or an idiot. It's a perfectly healthy concern. I've just booked up to go to Berlin in October and it did cross my mind that there might be terrorist attacks...but they could happen anywhere. We cannot let these people ruin our way of life. Have a fabulous holiday.

ReadyPlayerOne Wed 27-Jul-16 16:30:42

You are being irrational smile
Germany is a beautiful country and German folks are IME wonderful. Have a wonderful time!

acasualobserver Wed 27-Jul-16 16:34:33

I think you just have to think your way through your anxiety. The chances of being harmed by terrorism - even now with all that's happening - are tiny.

Gute Reise!

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 27-Jul-16 16:45:37

I thought about it in Europe while I was there. But they aren't going to stop me eating ice cream and pizza because it's just better in Italy travelling. Screw 'em. Eat sausage, drink beer and have a lovely time.

doing Wed 27-Jul-16 16:47:28

You're being irrational. Millions of people living in Germany (and Europe generally) and going about their everyday lives unaffected.

Give your head a wobble.

We're going next week. It's not irrational to be a bit worried, in the current climate, but we can't not do things.

Spot the deliberate double negative.

whatsthenameofthegame Wed 27-Jul-16 16:51:08

Thank you all

I love Germany and have been going there for many years so I know we will have a wonderful time. I think it's just because this is the first time that DC and I are going on our own and every time I switch on the news, something else seems to have happened.

You're right, I can't let the people who are causing this havoc stop us from going. I wish there was some way to put a stop to all of these atrocities, not just in Europe but worldwide. We live in a beautiful world but the fact that some people can injure other and take life so easily really upsets me.

doing Wed 27-Jul-16 16:52:39

Yeah you and 6 billion others OP.

whatsthenameofthegame Wed 27-Jul-16 16:54:01

I'm going to introduce DC to the wonders of Currywurst, Schnitzel and Apfelstrudel in defiance of those who would wish to stop me doing so! smile

TheNaze73 Wed 27-Jul-16 16:54:53

You're letting them win if you don't go.

Totally get your concerns, for your family but, after the attack in France at a village church, nowhere is truly 100% safe.

Have a fantastic time smile

KittyKrap Wed 27-Jul-16 16:59:44

Laughing at currywurst! We lived on that in Berlin last year.

Urgh to currywurst.

Any Berlin tips, anyone? Thread hijack!

whatsthenameofthegame Wed 27-Jul-16 17:15:40

Hijack away... As long as you promise to do it in a peaceful manner! smile

It's 10 years since I was last in Berlin but we stayed in Alexanderplatz and had a few nights out there. We loved this place - a friend called in last summer on my recommendation and said it was still great!

http://brauhaus-georgbraeu.de

The best kebab I've ever had (tasted much better and felt healthier than in the UK) was from a snack shack in Alexanderplatz - if you're standing with the Alexanderplatz station behind you, the snack shack was to the right of the TV tower. When I get the chance to go to Berlin again, I'll go back to both places! Viel Spaß!

eleven59 Wed 27-Jul-16 17:16:49

I live in Germany and feel safer here than in London or any other city in the UK.

Thanks for the recs. I'm a veggie, so German food isn't great for me - although I intend to eat my bodyweight in apple pie!

TlentifiniMaarhaysu Wed 27-Jul-16 18:49:53

Remus - There are plenty of veggie and vegan places in Berlin, you'll have no problem finding somewhere nice.

KittyKrap Wed 27-Jul-16 21:31:43

There's a veggie place through a car park (?) beside the Grand Westin Hotel in the eastern side - can't give exact details! We didn't go but saw a it on the tv. The Cornish fish man did a programme about Berlin and eating, find on YouTube.

buffalogrumble Wed 27-Jul-16 21:37:18

Germany is a lovely country. Enjoy the currywurst! I have been a vegetarian for years and currywurst in a little polystyrene box makes me so tempted. And the lovely breads and cheeses. Mmmm

Have fun, and be alert but not worried. smile

Savagebeauty Wed 27-Jul-16 21:39:03

I'm going to Berlin in ten days. Only booked on Sunday.

WaitrosePigeon Wed 27-Jul-16 21:41:17

You are being irrational but I am exactly the same. I am staying in this country for the foreseeable and only travelling by car. I am not joking, ether.

Thanks. smile

Last year we had mostly pizza and Vietnamese - all good!

Have you been before, Savage? It's a brilliant city.

manicinsomniac Wed 27-Jul-16 22:21:23

Wait, there's been another incident in Germany?

I can't see anything on the BBC homepage?

whatsthenameofthegame Wed 27-Jul-16 22:31:07

Two things have actually happened today - luckily neither resulting in anyone getting hurt.

http://news.sky.com/story/suitcase-blaze-causes-bomb-scare-in-germany-10514380

http://news.sky.com/story/ill-blow-you-up-police-hunt-escaped-patient-10514712

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now