To get a dog

(67 Posts)
rocketsocks Wed 27-Jul-16 13:12:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HearTheirEverywear Wed 27-Jul-16 13:15:50

Make sure I absolutely could give it a home for life, and be able to afford it's upkeep/injections/vet fees.

insan1tyscartching Wed 27-Jul-16 13:21:24

What happens after the summer holidays? Are you at home all day? If not can you afford doggy daycare as you can't leave a puppy for any length of time?

StillDrSethHazlittMD Wed 27-Jul-16 13:23:19

I certainly wouldn't get a new puppy and then move. If I felt I really wanted a dog, I would get settled in a new place first before adding the hand grenade of a puppy. I'd consider a rescue dog before going down the puppy road too. Have you researched the breed that this puppy that has suddenly become available is? How much walking it will need when older, tendency to destroy furniture etc?

Have you thought about it before or has it really only just got mentioned yesterday? Pets are like babies - should be properly thought about and not an impulse decision.

StillDrSethHazlittMD Wed 27-Jul-16 13:23:35

I certainly wouldn't get a new puppy and then move. If I felt I really wanted a dog, I would get settled in a new place first before adding the hand grenade of a puppy. I'd consider a rescue dog before going down the puppy road too. Have you researched the breed that this puppy that has suddenly become available is? How much walking it will need when older, tendency to destroy furniture etc?

Have you thought about it before or has it really only just got mentioned yesterday? Pets are like babies - should be properly thought about and not an impulse decision.

OhNoNotMyBaby Wed 27-Jul-16 13:24:07

I would. why is moving relevant? As long as you can look after him and be with him - ie not leave him on his own all day.

FlyingElbows Wed 27-Jul-16 13:24:16

Don't get a puppy as a snap decision because someone's fed you a line about a buyer changing their mind and you feel sorry for it. Stop and think.

Kinraddie Wed 27-Jul-16 13:24:51

How about walks during the day and at night? Can you leave your kids in house to take it out on proper walks? A walk to school is not enough. Who will look after it when you go away, on holidays etc? Don't rush into a decision. The dog will be with you for the next 10-15 years.

Pinkheart5915 Wed 27-Jul-16 13:25:58

Make sure you are defiantly committed to looking after it properly forever.

Make sure you can afford pet insurance/ injections food etc

Make sure you can commit to a walk each day? a dog needs exercise or they tend to get bored

How will having a dog work? Are you a SAHP? Or will the dog end up shut in all day while you work?

If you can do all of this then get the dog, they are loving animals if treated right

CMOTDibbler Wed 27-Jul-16 13:26:06

I think that getting a dog at a time of lots of life changes isn't a good idea tbh.

Eatthecake Wed 27-Jul-16 13:29:59

Will you be able to give the dog a long walk each day?

Are you sure can afford the dog? Pet insurance, food etc

After the summer holidays what happens? Do you go back to work and leave the dog indoors all day

Are you going to take care of it properly or is it just a case of wanting a puppy?

Dogs are the most loving animals but they have to be treated right and be well cared for

rocketsocks Wed 27-Jul-16 13:30:56

AppleSetsSail Wed 27-Jul-16 13:31:24

What's your work schedule like? We got a puppy in December and she can't really be left alone for more than 4 hours at a time.

Will you be buying or renting? Can you be reasonably certain you'll have a garden?

My puppy is now just coming on 12 months and I couldn't be without her now. She can easily wait until 10 or 11am to have her first wee/poo of the day and now, we could get by without a garden but it would have been horrible for her first 6 months.

Most people on MN are more hard-core about getting a dog than having a baby, so you might get a distorted view here.

Sparklesilverglitter Wed 27-Jul-16 13:32:10

What happens after the school holidays? Are you planning to leave the dog alone and go back to work?

Is it just a case of wanting a puppy? Can you really commit to caring for a dog properly ?

davos Wed 27-Jul-16 13:32:17

We got a puppy at the start of the summer holidays. She is lovely. We are home all day, which is great. For a few days. We can only leave her for an hour so. So we are left doing things in shifts. I took Dd out last night while dh stayed home with Ds, and he has taken Ds out today.

Unless you usually spend all day at home in the six week holidays and your kids aren't climbing the walls having to stay in most of the time, it's not a great idea.

Puppy had her last set of injections yesterday. But it's another two weeks before we can take her out.

We have been planning on getting a dog for over a year, after our dog passed away a couple of years ago.

It should never be a snap decision. It's not easy. One of us has to et up at night to let her out. She wakes up at 6am every morning. Needs lots of attention and taking out at least every hour.

What happens when school holidays are over?

Oh and out dog already cost about £100 for the crate, bowls, toys grooming stuff and transferring the microchip into our name.

£26 for yesterday's injections and £50 for an emergency vet appointment as she managed to hurt her leg running down the corridor at home.

So nearly £200 in less than 2 weeks, not including what she cost to buy.

Sparklesilverglitter Wed 27-Jul-16 13:33:57

If you have to rent, be warned a lot of landlords will not take pets. Then what would happen to the dog?

I would leave it to be honest until you life is more certain

davos Wed 27-Jul-16 13:34:05

Oh and I certainly wouldn't get one of if it meant moving or planning on moving soon.

We could have got a puppy earlier this year, but we were having our house renovated and moving rooms around. We purposely waited until the work was done.

NavyandWhite Wed 27-Jul-16 13:35:04

Why might you have to move?

AppleSetsSail Wed 27-Jul-16 13:35:14

Puppies are very expensive at the outset, but now (as the owner of a 12 month old) I pay £150 or so a year for health insurance and £25 a month or food. She hasn't been to the vet in about 5 months now.

Pinkheart5915 Wed 27-Jul-16 13:36:19

If you have to end up renting? That could cause problems having a dog. I am a landlady and I don't have pets in my properties.

If you have to get a job, the dog could end up at home alone with less walks

Buggers Wed 27-Jul-16 13:37:50

A walk to the kids school and back twice a day isn't enough for a dog! Wish people would realise this. A dog especially a lab, needs a long walk where they can be off lead and have a good run around. If you don't work how can you afford vet bills?

rocketsocks Wed 27-Jul-16 13:39:13

rocketsocks Wed 27-Jul-16 13:40:27

insan1tyscartching Wed 27-Jul-16 13:42:54

My two with ASD hated the puppy days, they are destructive, disruptive, unpredictable and freedom limiting not to mention the nipping. They love him now but, for mine, getting a puppy during the long holidays would have been a disaster they needed to be able to escape the puppy and have routines uninterrupted.

Buggers Wed 27-Jul-16 13:43:57

But you don't work? Are you receiving benefits? I can't see how money isn't an issue if you don't work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now