Talk

Advanced search

Invoice details - buying a car - AIBU?

(18 Posts)
Nearlyhadenough Wed 27-Jul-16 12:42:14

In the process of buying a second hand car for my DD.

Car advertised as a special edition/version on the website. Car has all the jingly jangly bits, including the stamp on the engine - but no certificate.

On the deposit invoice I have been sent (we are 60 miles away)the car is listed as simply the standard version.

I have requested that the invoice be changed to reflect the advert description.......

My DD (who has fallen in love with this, admittedly very pretty little car) says I ABU?

soupey1 Wed 27-Jul-16 12:44:51

It will say on the vehicle registration document what version it is and this is important as it needs to be correct for the insurance (otherwise insurance could be invalid). Unfortunately you do need to go back and confirm with the garage/seller in writing the exact version (you can tell him it's for insurance purposes) as then if when you get the registration document he has misled you, you would have a claim against him/'them.

AnaisWatterson Wed 27-Jul-16 12:59:10

It's probably been loaded on the system incorrectly.
Your right to get the invoice to match though. Should she need it for insurance purposes to prove it is what it's meant to be rather than an eBay parts copy.
It's also best to keep and have correct paperwork If it's the kind of limited edition to carry a premium in the future

RaspberryOverload Wed 27-Jul-16 13:06:00

It would also be useful to check if you paid a premium for a special edition that it then turns out you don't have.......

Niloufes Wed 27-Jul-16 13:13:29

I suspect the limited edition extras have not been declared for insurance purposes. You can still buy it but as long as you understand that anything extra that has been added to it may not be covered under your insurance until you declare them.

OhThatThingAgain Wed 27-Jul-16 13:20:15

Just type the reg number into any insurance website and it should return the make and model it came out of the factory as.

GrandadGrumps Wed 27-Jul-16 13:24:44

Enter reg at www.ukvehicle.com

Rollercoaster1920 Wed 27-Jul-16 13:32:57

It depends. Some special editions are specifically listed as different version of models, others are just loaded up with extras (especially around end of line stock offloading). You mention a certificate- did the original car have one and the seller lost it? You could contact the manufacturer for confirmation (with VIN). Beware of a fake or cut and shut if it is a 'sporty' model.

LikeDylanInTheMovies Wed 27-Jul-16 13:39:46

It depends what you mean by special edition. Are we talking about the invoice saying it is a 1.1 base model and it is sold as 2.0 GTi?

What really matters is that what you think you are being sold measures up to what is recorded by the DVLA. The error on the invoice could well be an error on the dealer's part.

Another thing to consider:

If a model is selling poorly or is about to be replaced they may well slap a sticker on it, offer some cosmetic upgrades in am attempt to boost sales.

My old Clio was badged as a Clio Versailles. It was a standard (with a tacky sticker and sunroof that slid rather than just tilted: oh the luxury!) Clio 1.2 RL and was described as an RL in the logbook, insurance databases.

Nearlyhadenough Wed 27-Jul-16 13:42:29

It's a really odd one.....
It's a Mini (in case anyone knows about them) that is a John Cooper Works version.

The special edition stuff IS added added after manufacture with the older models, as this is. There are various nice 'bits', the engine is stamped and a certificate is given.

There is a stamp on the engine but dealer has no certificate.

All checks say it is just a Cooper S - not JCW.

Have emailed dealer over an hour and half ago - no reply.

Togaparties Wed 27-Jul-16 13:48:37

If it was originally built as an S then had the JCW pack added then it's quite likely to come up on insurance DBs as an S and you will need to declare the JCW pack as a modification. If you can get the chassis number from the dealer you can see what it left the factory with.

LikeDylanInTheMovies Wed 27-Jul-16 13:51:36

Avoid.

AnaisWatterson Wed 27-Jul-16 13:56:16

I wouldn't buy it without the certificate. It will make it less attractive when she comes to sell it.

AnaisWatterson Wed 27-Jul-16 13:59:33

I've worked in the motor trade for 15 years and at mini main dealers by the way.
Walk away there's plenty of other mini's out there (unless it's the two seater luggage brace in the back proper 'works').

Togaparties Wed 27-Jul-16 15:59:44

Can you track down the supplying dealer and verify it? Perhaps get a duplicate very?

Togaparties Wed 27-Jul-16 16:00:05

Duplicate cert sorry

Coulddowithanap Wed 27-Jul-16 20:01:24

What car / special edition is it?

Coulddowithanap Wed 27-Jul-16 20:02:39

Sorry I missed your post about it being a mini

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now