AIBU: clothes horse

(211 Posts)
FakeTwinkle Wed 27-Jul-16 12:30:06

So me and DP are currently rennovating our new house, and last night randomly had a conversation about the stuff that we currently have that we will not need and can donate to good will..
We currently live in a small one bed flat with no garden so have a clothes horse and a tumble dryer, (Dryer for the big bits like Jeans and bedding etc every thing else on the clothes horse)
In the new house there will be a garden with a clothes line and some where for the tumble dryer to go. So have said that the clothes horse can be donated as we wont need it. because if it cant go out on the line due to horrid weather we can use the dryer.
DP then said no we need all three?? this is a clothes horse that is tall and wide enough to hold 4 loads of washing, AIBU to say that we could get rid of it?? hmm

KinkyAfro Wed 27-Jul-16 12:32:50

Sorry but this has to be THE most boring post ever!

1frenchfoodie Wed 27-Jul-16 12:33:35

Personally I'd keep the clothes horse and dry for free rather than using tumble dryer when it is raining. Finding it hard to concieve a clothes horse big enough for 4 loads of washing though!

AppleSetsSail Wed 27-Jul-16 12:34:13

He's controlling and abusive. LTB.

Bonnie152 Wed 27-Jul-16 12:35:57

A clothes horse that holds 4 loads?!

We have all three. Find the clothes horse handy on fine days when I want to get a good load of laundry done. A load on the line and a load on the clothes horse.

RedHareWithBlondeHair Wed 27-Jul-16 12:36:14

I thought a clothes horse was a derogatory term for a fashion model?

Have I been wrong all my life?

<astonished>

dementedpixie Wed 27-Jul-16 12:36:38

I'd keep the clothes horse too. Mind you I don't have a dryer but would begrudge paying the cost of the electricity to use it all the time. Is it this one (I have it too!):

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8500368.htm

BaronessBomburst Wed 27-Jul-16 12:36:59

Keep the clothes horse. You'll need it for airing things, things that can't go in the tumble dryer, and building tents.
Besides, if it fits in your current flat, you'll have room for it in a bigger house.

BrinjalPickle Wed 27-Jul-16 12:37:02

We have all 3. What about those items that can't go in the tumble dryer if its wet outside - like wool items, bras etc?

bonzo77 Wed 27-Jul-16 12:37:18

Bit boring. But I'd keep the clothes horse. Can get very expensive to rely on the drier. And you'd be surprised how little one can use the clothes line sometimes.

chough Wed 27-Jul-16 12:37:29

Kinky, it sounds boring now, but it could still turn nasty.

dementedpixie Wed 27-Jul-16 12:37:42

Always called it a clothes horse here (I'm in Scotland) but elsewhere probably called a clothes airer

dizzyfucker Wed 27-Jul-16 12:37:45

You may need it. I had three clothes horses when we lived in a flat. I got rid of them and have always regretted it. We had to string a washing line up in the laundry room for rainy days.

Having said that, if you don't have a lot of space it could be irritating. Does it fold down? Keep it for a year, if you don't use it then give it away.

rembrandtsrockchick Wed 27-Jul-16 12:38:08

Keep it. When you have children it will make a brilliant tent/den if covered with an old blanket.
If you never have children ignore this post.

PinkissimoAndPearls Wed 27-Jul-16 12:38:24

Is a clothes horse a maiden?

MaisieDotes Wed 27-Jul-16 12:39:00

I presume this mammoth clothes horse folds up when not in use?

Just keep it. If you were able to accommodate it in a one bed flat I'm
sure it will be ok in a house.

Crispbutty Wed 27-Jul-16 12:39:42

there have been many a disgreement in our house.. I say maiden, he says clothes horse...

LotsOfShoes Wed 27-Jul-16 12:40:10

Keep it. Your DH is right.

rembrandtsrockchick Wed 27-Jul-16 12:40:13

PS. This only applies if it is one of the old fashioned wooden ones. If it isn't...chuck it out.

foreverandalways Wed 27-Jul-16 12:40:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

museumum Wed 27-Jul-16 12:42:10

Omg - sounds like the biggest clothes horse ever!
Get a little one just for underwear that folds away nicely.

Pauperback Wed 27-Jul-16 12:42:12

Will you have room for a Sheila Maid type ceiling airer? We don't here - ceilings not high enough, but have found them incredibly useful in other places I've lived without sacrificing any floor space.

BaronessBomburst Wed 27-Jul-16 12:43:25

Boring KinkyAfro?!
Tumble dryer threads can kick off big time! Buns will be thrown.
They'll be posts about having sixteen children and never needing to waste money on a dryer.
Posts about 'drier' versus 'dryer'.
Posts about the environment.
Posts about 'clothes horse' versus 'maiden' versus 'airer'.
grin

PaintedDrivesAndPolishedGrass Wed 27-Jul-16 12:43:33

Yes pink it's a maidensmile

Of course you should keep it, I'd be more worried about drying jeans in the dryer tbh. Money to burn some people!!!

jellycat1 Wed 27-Jul-16 12:43:53

Please be a troll.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now