Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be a bit weirded out by the thought of drones delivering Amazon parcels?

(53 Posts)
WorraLiberty Tue 26-Jul-16 23:06:03

Link to BBC story here

I know it's early days yet and the trials obviously mean they'll be looking into safety etc.

But I'm a bit worried about walking the dog and getting knocked out by a slow cooker or something, falling from the sky confused grin

What with that and Just Eat trialling Delivery Bots should I also be concerned about being run over by a maverick kebab, as I lie there bleeding?

But on a more serious note, if this sort of thing takes off, imagine how many delivery jobs will go?

GlitteryFluff Tue 26-Jul-16 23:10:05

Death by slow cooker gringrin

janey77 Tue 26-Jul-16 23:11:43

I don't get how things won't get broken, or pinched from your back garden if you aren't in? I know it says about 30 mins delivery but what if you order while you're out and get stuck in traffic or something? Can't pretend I like the idea myself, and I hadn't even thought about being killed by a flying Xbox either grin

WorraLiberty Tue 26-Jul-16 23:11:55

At least they'd be well fed at the wake grin

ABloodyDifficultWoman Tue 26-Jul-16 23:12:17

grin grin "slow cooker falling out of the sky". Horrible way to die.

imother Tue 26-Jul-16 23:14:00

Me: Leaves Note - 'Popped out for 10 mins pls deliver to 120 NOT 121.'

Amazon drone: Leaves note - Sorry you were out. We've left your slow cooker on the chimney.

SatansLittleHelper2 Tue 26-Jul-16 23:14:24

I hope this doesnt ever take off, advancements in technology can be amazing but there's no denying that it's cost a hell of a lot of jobs. Our high street has pretty much been obliterated thanks to online shopping, I think it would be a bit shit if delivery drivers etc started to lose jobs too.

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 26-Jul-16 23:14:28

Saw this on the news earlier-I have visions of thieves following the drones and intercepting parcels somehow confused
Though I've had parcels left on my doorstep by drivers so I suppose it's no less secure than that.

WorraLiberty Tue 26-Jul-16 23:16:22

"We've left your slow cooker on the chimney." grin grin

I agree Satans, out high street is the same.

It's mostly only takeaway shops left now, so if delivery bots become a thing, so many jobs will go.

Butteredparsnips Tue 26-Jul-16 23:17:55

No and DH who has done CAA training to fly drones safely said this morning that under the current law the drone has to be within the operators sight.

So the drone delivers the package, but the delivery person would have to walk along behind it. hmm

WorraLiberty Tue 26-Jul-16 23:19:46

It does mention that in the story Buttered. I'm not sure how they'll get around that one.

Maybe they'll send the kebab to keep an eye on it?

PortiaCastis Tue 26-Jul-16 23:28:51

Brings a whole new meaning to skeet shooting
Pull........oops duck it's an I robot roomba

WorraLiberty Tue 26-Jul-16 23:31:58

I actually fear for the Just Eat bots, getting chased across the countryside by a pack of hungry, snarling teenagers.

HelenaDove Tue 26-Jul-16 23:33:08

Skynet is here!!!!

gamerchick Tue 26-Jul-16 23:33:49

The idea is the drone will deliver within the hour of ordering and will scan for a special mat to land on according to the husband who would also probably be out of a job if it takes off and becomes common across companies.

I was also wondering out loud at dropped things falling from the sky during that chat grin

schbittery Tue 26-Jul-16 23:35:10

sounds ludicrous to.me. I can just imagine all the dodgy types standing on roofs and hanging out of windows grabbing packages as they go past, or watching to see where they land.

HelenaDove Tue 26-Jul-16 23:35:16

YY gamer.

I was saying to DH early today it could put some delivery drivers out of a job.

Beedoo123 Tue 26-Jul-16 23:36:47

Beware the deadly slow cooker falling from the sky... You can choose the way you live my friends but not the way you die!

Meant to be Deadly Donkey, from an Edward Monkton card, but I couldn't resist!

WorraLiberty Tue 26-Jul-16 23:42:08

I'm just thinking out loud now but wouldn't it be great if over Christmas, the drones looked like little Santa's sleighs with reindeer fgrin

<< Slaps self >>

No, it's still a really bad idea fblush

seventhgonickname Tue 26-Jul-16 23:46:14

Today's random rain downpours could cause problems and watch out for the first compensation claim as peeps hit by packages!

SuckingEggs Tue 26-Jul-16 23:52:42

😄this is making me laugh too much. Am shaking the bed.

But yeah, how fucking crazy. You get bomped on the noggin by a barbecue and your order of sausages lands on your prostrate body...

PortiaCastis Tue 26-Jul-16 23:58:32

If a customer lives in a high rise building do they just hang out the window and make a grab for their package?

Yes reindeer drones would be good at Christmas but they'd have to name them. 🎅🎅

< annoyed because can't find reindeer emoticon>

PortiaCastis Wed 27-Jul-16 00:01:25

grin sausage on noggins oh I've got a one track mind

WorraLiberty Wed 27-Jul-16 00:01:32

It'd make the Mumsnet Secret Santa more interesting.

If you get someone you can't stand, just order a fridge freezer to come crashing through their roof grin

hastheworldgonemad Wed 27-Jul-16 00:01:57

I actually can't believe it's real to be honest. The bloke on radio 5 today said they parachute to their destination but what to your porch? Hands? Seriously can't understand it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now