Talk

Advanced search

To think this is a false widow spider?

(18 Posts)
LavenderLedge Tue 26-Jul-16 19:09:41

Just found it in my sink.

TheChippendenSpook Tue 26-Jul-16 19:13:30

That is enormous! How come you have not yet died of shock??!!!

FreeFromHarm Tue 26-Jul-16 19:17:15

does it have a stripe on its back can't see, it looks like one ...make sure its dead, nasty bite if it is !!

HoneyBadgers Tue 26-Jul-16 19:19:57

Yes, we had one recently. Contemplated burning the house down, instead found some old fly spray and managed to get rid of it with that.

They have a nasty bite so if it's not dead don't poke it!

LuluJakey1 Tue 26-Jul-16 19:22:30

Probably lookng at the band and the abdomen markings. They are very common. We just catch them in a cup and put them outside- although we are both scared.

Sciurus83 Tue 26-Jul-16 19:23:10

Hard to tell without seeing the markings close up. Please don't believe the hysteria around false widow bites, most of the horror stories are likely caused by other things and blamed on spiders. srs.britishspiders.org.uk/portal/p/False+Widow+Spiders this fact sheet from the spider recording scheme explains why it's really unlikely false widows are doing anyone any harm. They have also been in the UK for centuries, not a new phenomenon but just seems to have been a lot of press lately

LavenderLedge Tue 26-Jul-16 19:23:55

I gathered it up in a tissue and put it outside. It was lifting its front leg at me when I got too close which was a little disconcerting!

MuffyTheUmpireSlayer Tue 26-Jul-16 19:24:37

It looks like one to me. Their bites are horrible (somehow it's happened to me twice!)

I normally go by the "if you want to live and thrive..." rule but in this case you have to kill kill kill!

LuluJakey1 Tue 26-Jul-16 19:25:34

Am talking about here on holiday by the way. Have never seen one at home. I think they are just in the south of England so far.

icanteven Tue 26-Jul-16 19:33:47

I don't think so - we've had a couple in the house and their bodies are bigger in relation to their legs.

I've squished one, lost another, caught and released another and - to my horror - tipsily tried to catch one in my hands that was scurrying across the rug when we had guests, before nearly dying of shock and casually sauntering off and getting a glass to catch it properly.

ApricotSorbet99 Tue 26-Jul-16 19:49:41

Yes, that is a false widow...a male one and therefore not known to bite.

The female ones, which can bite, have larger abdomens and are bigger generally.

TheoriginalLEM Tue 26-Jul-16 19:53:26

i didn't know that the males don't bite. i currently have one residing in my kitchen, so long as it keeps out of my way it can stay. Ironically there is a tube web in the other corner. Would be interested to see what would happen if they met

P1nkP0ppy Tue 26-Jul-16 19:59:21

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is.
I had one in the greenhouse and it sort of reared up on its back legs.
<shudders>

allthemadmen Tue 26-Jul-16 20:31:44

are you in the UK op?

have you magnified the pic, I have never seen one that BIG?>>>>iTS HUGE??? mated with english house spider??

LBOCS2 Tue 26-Jul-16 20:38:46

We had one rappelling down towards our sleeping 3mo a couple of nights ago, which we got rid of.

AND THEN... I went to bed the night after, and there was a false widow in the corner. Turned off the light, felt something tickling my leg. Turned it on, couldn't see anything, but the spider was gone. Turned it off, something tickling the back of my thigh. Turned it on and saw the bastard scuttling down my leg and under the cover.

Managed not to scream. (Baby was sleeping). Disposed of spider. Stayed awake all night jumping every time my hair tickled me.

GladAllOver Tue 26-Jul-16 20:42:00

From what I've seen there are many similar species and the false widows are a tiny minority. It needs a real expert to identify them

LavenderLedge Wed 27-Jul-16 08:23:02

Thanks for all the replies. Yes I'm in the UK and yes, it's actual size! I like spiders and have lots of varieties living in my house. I only moved this one outside because I didn't want it biting my son.

MuffyTheUmpireSlayer Wed 27-Jul-16 08:27:09

I don't think they are as rare as some webpages make out. In some parts of the country, perhaps, but I was definitely bitten twice (the first time I actually saw it on my leg sad and the second time I didn't see it on me but I did find it on the wall later that day and the bite had the exact same symptoms as before.) I have since found a few in my house - no bites but got rid immediately.

Which part of the U.K. are you in Lavender?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now