Talk

Advanced search

What age would you leave a child to bathe themselves

(27 Posts)
Junosmum Tue 26-Jul-16 18:58:16

My niece is staying with us for the week. She is 6, 7 in 6weeks time. She knows us very well, stays with us during every school holiday/ several weekends. Normally she's very happy for me to sit in the bathroom and chat with her as she plays but tonight she's asked me not to. I don't want to invade her privacy and think its good that she's setting her own boundaries and aware of her body and privacy and want to encourage that. On the other hand, I want her to be safe. She won't have a shower instead. Mum is normally in the bathroom with her, but obviously that's a different relationship. Mum isn't contactable (otherwise I'd just ask her).

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 26-Jul-16 18:59:26

Absolutely fine. If you are worried leave the door ajar and stay in earshot.

FasterThanASnakeAndAMongoose Tue 26-Jul-16 19:00:44

I don't know, but I don't think I'd be too worried about a sensible 6 year old. Can't you hang out on the landing and chat to her through the door?

ineedamoreadultieradult Tue 26-Jul-16 19:02:12

From about 4 here but the bathroom is off the kitchen so easy to keep an earea out and I shout through at regular intervals.

GreenSand Tue 26-Jul-16 19:05:23

5 and 7 here. I'll leave them in earshot but out of sight, and pop in and out.

Wonderone Tue 26-Jul-16 19:07:20

My DD is the same age and I leave her In the bath while I put washing away (we're both upstairs). She's usually chatting away or singing to herself so can hear her. Not sure how good she'd be at rinsing her hair out but can only get better with practise.

RubbleBubble00 Tue 26-Jul-16 19:07:43

7 year old with door open - he often sings amd talks to himself grin so I can hear him. 5 and 3 yr old have me popping in and out as u put laudry away as have ir stacked outside bathroom door

AnotherTimeMaybe Tue 26-Jul-16 19:09:13

4 here but keeping an eye....

Scotmumof2girls Tue 26-Jul-16 19:09:50

My girls bathed together as only a year apart but happily on their own from about 4 with door open and me doing nothing too noisy that I couldnt hear and I pop in and out.

Thomasisintraining Tue 26-Jul-16 19:11:48

Mine started taking showers alone from about 6/7. We rarely did bath time showers all the way up.

Cheerybigbottom Tue 26-Jul-16 19:16:45

My son needs a long soak with eczema bath stuff so now he's 4 and a half (and a non stop talker and singer) I've left him in the bath as I'm on the exercise bike at bottom of stairs (bathroom is facing stairs) No tv or anything on though so my ears are all on him, if the bike wasn't so heavy I'd carry it up the stairs though.

cexuwaleozbu Tue 26-Jul-16 19:23:49

Happy to leave alone for bath play time (but within earshot and I'm there in 3 seconds if I stop hearing the normal babble of said play) from age 5 - but I still do washing. happy for the whole process to be self-managed from age 6.

VimFuego101 Tue 26-Jul-16 19:27:54

DS is nearly 5 and i leave him with the door open, popping my head through frequently. He splashes and sings in there though, he's very noisy, so i would rush in and check on him if it went quiet.

Junosmum Tue 26-Jul-16 19:30:35

Great. I shall potter about upstairs whilst she's in there and make sure she doesn't lock the door.

ShelaghTurner Tue 26-Jul-16 20:05:30

I leave my 4yo. She knows not to stand up in the bath unless I'm in the room. As long as she stays sitting she can't come to much harm.

TheRealKimmySchmidt63 Tue 26-Jul-16 20:09:36

I leave my 4yo to play with door open and within earshot popping in and out frequently

delilahbucket Tue 26-Jul-16 21:15:35

Used to leave ds at 5 to play but would do some washing or tidying upstairs so I was close by. I used to then go and help him wash. Now he's 8 and I can leave him completely although he tends to prefer showers with the occasional bath.

anyhue Tue 26-Jul-16 21:20:06

Door could be closed, but certainly not locked. And of course you within distance where you can hear noise from bathroom if she calls

bumsexatthebingo Tue 26-Jul-16 21:28:27

I wouldn't leave a child under junior age - so 7 at the earliest and only if they were sensible. If it was my dd I'd be telling her of she wants to do it by herself she needs to get a shower.

BITCAT Tue 26-Jul-16 21:31:35

My kids were 5 but the door was always open. And I was always nearby. I'd always help.with hair washing then they would do the rest and I would help them out of the bath.

thepenguinsrock Tue 26-Jul-16 21:32:27

I think it depends on the child, my 6 year old son would flood the bathroom if I left him unattended but my daughter at the same age would have been fine lol 😂 sounds like your niece would be fine with the door left slightly ajar maybe just so you can listen out if she needs you. ☺

PoochiePoo Tue 26-Jul-16 21:36:01

I leave my DD (7 - just!) alone in the bathroom when she's having a shower but when she has a bath, I sit outside the bathroom and read (seems to be my only chance!) until she needs any help with washing her hair properly (when alone she never seems to rinse the suds out fully). When that's done I have started leaving her to dry herself and get dressed in private.

TheRealKimmySchmidt63 Tue 26-Jul-16 21:39:04

Just to add my 14yo cousin fell asleep and almost drowned in bath do id never leave completely "alone" think it's always wise to be close by so you can hear movement

PrimalLass Tue 26-Jul-16 21:48:48

Probably 6, but I can't really remember. DD (8) will spend 2 hours in the bath, with the ipad propped up on a chair. I just have to go in every so often to put a new video on.

GenghisCalm Tue 26-Jul-16 21:55:09

My daughter was about 5 when we first let her bath herself. Mainly because if I was working my husband didn't like sitting there watching. We just made he sing the whole time so we knew she was ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now