Talk

Advanced search

Weight loss

(12 Posts)
pizzypig29 Tue 26-Jul-16 16:00:55

aibu to be annoyed that my mil keeps offering me cakes and biscuits even though ive told her so many times no thank you, that im trying to lose weight for my health? !! have to add she is actually underweight and will refuse to eat them cause she says she has health issues which she doesnt !! its driving me nuts !!

lastqueenofscotland Tue 26-Jul-16 16:10:28

She can offer you things i don't see why it's a problem hmm

AppleJac Tue 26-Jul-16 16:15:11

This is very common!

I used to go to the cinema with a friend on a weekly basis when i was dieting and she knew i was doing well and had cut out all the rubbish we used to gorge on in the cinema but she used to beg me to eat it! She was a pain for it. However when she started on the same diet as me she wouldnt touch all the rubbish!

People dont like it when they see others doing well and their body changing etc so they subconciously be a green eyed monster about it

WorraLiberty Tue 26-Jul-16 16:22:27

When you say 'keeps on', how often are we talking about?

I'd be a bit irritated if she offered more than say twice.

But some people feel inhospitable if they don't offer these things to visitors.

pizzypig29 Tue 26-Jul-16 16:24:05

im annoyed because she looks after her health but takes no notice and tries to sabotage me when i try to do the same, i have bought her diabetic chocolates in past to give her a treat but still respect her issues. its getting to the point that i dont want to go to her house or see her at all. have to add my husband (her son) agrees with me!

pizzypig29 Tue 26-Jul-16 16:25:51

i have told her she is more then welcome to offer when we go to her house, some mammys just want to feed you, i get that! but to stop after that, she will offer 9/10 times in the one visit, and if you refuse something she brings out various other cakes, biscuits, apple tarts etc sad

BuntyFigglesworthSpiffington Tue 26-Jul-16 16:30:38

It probably has nothing to do with her trying to sabotage your diet. Sounds like she has food issues. Wants to deny herself food yet smother other people with food. Probably her way of showing love, but yes, annoying.

pizzypig29 Tue 26-Jul-16 16:42:39

Bunty I hadnt thought of that, but you might be right! ive gotten so annoyed with her over this i cant see straight ! i just want to be healthier smile

ElfAndSafetyBored Tue 26-Jul-16 17:03:36

My MIL does this, I swear she wants to be thinner than me because she can't possibly be younger 😀.

As soon as I went on a diet she started baking us full on massive cakes - one a week. I know I don't have to eat it but she's a fab baker.

pizzypig29 Tue 26-Jul-16 17:07:16

ha ha elf that could be it ! lol love the name btw smile

LemonSqueezy0 Tue 26-Jul-16 19:04:59

Typical really... Can you try to tune in to her wavelength and say how much you admire her resolve not to eat cakes etc and that she's inspired you to be healthy (ignoring the fact she's under weight) perhaps that will massage her ego a bit and she'll leave it alone... Otherwise after the second offering just take it, put it on the plate and keep saying you'll eat it in a minute.. It'll be a weird cake stand off but if she won't quit it...

pizzypig29 Tue 26-Jul-16 21:16:31

actually lemon thats a good idea ! part of the problem is im so close to the situation i didnt know how to deal with it iykwim, so your idea is welcome, thanks smile a cake stand off, i like it !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now