Talk

Advanced search

To write a letter straight back to my daughters consultant

(24 Posts)
Zazz101 Tue 26-Jul-16 08:15:40

My daughter has complex medical needs. We met a new consultant the other week who did not listen to a single word I said. I have never felt more frustrated.....following on from our consultation he sent a letter to me, our GP and all the other doctors involved in my daughters care. The letter is full of errors regarding ages/dates and clinical test results.

My concern in once something is in writing, especial written by a consultant it is then seen as fact.

Should I write a letter back correcting all his errors and send it to everyone he sent the original letter to ?

If I do, what can I hope to achieve ? The consultant in question dismisses everyone else's opinion, and anything I said as mum was nonsense .......

Thank you

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 26-Jul-16 08:19:42

I would but I'd do it in a overly nice way rather than stroppy iykwim- it's hard when they can't even get the basics like your child's name right my baby ds was in hospital recently and his name on the door was wrong getting stroppy didnt get that and the notes changed but when I changed to being overly nice about it soon got done

Patterkiller Tue 26-Jul-16 08:19:47

Well it doesn't sound like you're going to get the best care from this consultant. Rather than correcting errors can you arrange to change consultant?

wonkylampshade Tue 26-Jul-16 08:23:00

I'd feel compelled to respond to that. If there are factual errors they need correcting, and if there are major differences of medical opinion in terms of assessment perhaps seeking a second opinion from another consultant is best?

My sister's children both had unusual medical conditions as babies and she was essentially written off as batshit crazy by health visitors and doctors (they went as far as suggesting she had mental health problems), before discovering -hey presto- she was right! At that point one of her children could have died if she had followed the professional advice she had been given. That's an extreme case and the only one like it I've heard of, but it's left me feeling the parents' instinct and input should not be ignored, ever.

wonkylampshade Tue 26-Jul-16 08:24:00

It's vital to correct the factual errors because the letter has gone to every health professional involved in the child's care.

user7755 Tue 26-Jul-16 08:27:12

Yes, send an amended version back with a covering letter and ask for the report to be recirculated with the correct information.

Zazz101 Tue 26-Jul-16 08:41:23

He was a ' consulting' consultant, so not our main one, but one that unfortunately is held in extremely high regard ! That is why I am concerned, as since he has written his opinion as facts...

user7755 Tue 26-Jul-16 08:44:56

I've done as I suggested twice now, it's fine - really.

eddielizzard Tue 26-Jul-16 08:52:47

yes absolutely do it. but professionally and civilly, and don't apologise.

MammouthTask Tue 26-Jul-16 08:53:33

Yep agree too. Totally OK to write back and correct all the 'wrong' information.
Keep it very factual and ask for the letters to be circulated again.
I would also contact your 'normal' consultant about it. he might be held in high regards but making mistakes like this has to be highlighted to you consultant just in case he is basing his next advice/treatment with your dd on recommendations based on the worng information iyswim.

blitheringbuzzards1234 Tue 26-Jul-16 08:59:27

I think it would be a good idea to point out politely where they've got their facts wrong as these may impact on the treatment. Could you visit your GP, tell him about these errors and say that you'd like to change consultants as, due to the fore-mentioned you have little faith in him, no matter how highly regarded he is by others?

Dutchoma Tue 26-Jul-16 09:02:41

Is it possible for you to get in touch with the consultant's secretary, either the original one or the 'consulting' one that was so rude and ask her what you should do? Secretaries are very knowledgeable, especially in dealing with the demi-god attitude of some consultants.

DoItTooJulia Tue 26-Jul-16 09:05:28

That's rubbish. I've encountered this. I would contact his secretary and tell her that you've noted lots of factual errors that may impact on your Ds's future care and request that the letter is amended and resent.

In this situation, your GP can be quite helpful, if you have a decent one?

flowers

DoItTooJulia Tue 26-Jul-16 09:06:07

Dd-sorry, autocorrect.

greenfolder Tue 26-Jul-16 09:08:37

I really do think that you should correct those errors. Top letter reading is alawys a risk

snorepatrol Tue 26-Jul-16 09:09:13

I've kinda done this before I emailed pals when out consultant did the same.

I just pointed out the errors and within a week the consultant phoned me to go over his new letter and sent it out to all dd's hcp's

youarenotkiddingme Tue 26-Jul-16 09:22:25

Ive done it. A psychologist translated a comment 'school just think it's normal for DS with his dx' to "school are interested"!

I just rang up and asked the comment be corrected or removed as it could cause tensions in the relationship.

youarenotkiddingme Tue 26-Jul-16 09:22:58

arent interested!

youarenotkiddingme Tue 26-Jul-16 09:23:40

arent interested!

DailyMailEthicalFail Tue 26-Jul-16 09:35:04

Yes, you must ask for all factual errors to be corrected.

Be brief and polite.

Ask for it to be re-circulated.

Be prepared for a childish response though.

KatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 26-Jul-16 15:04:44

We're just moving this to AIBU at OP's request - they didn't mean to post in relationships.

PersianCatLady Tue 26-Jul-16 17:50:54

I had a consultant write out a prescription wrong three times and it was so frustrating to keep going back and forward from the pharmacy to the consultant. (The pharmacy wouldn't issue the tablets until the prescription was right).

Even after the problem was resolved it made me doubt the consultant's knowledge as I kept thinking if you can't even write a prescription correctly what else are you getting wrong.

Sorry I have gone slightly off topic. In your case I would definitely ensure that the mistakes in the letter are corrected.

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows Tue 26-Jul-16 19:29:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PersianCatLady Wed 27-Jul-16 11:48:56

MalcolmTuckersEyebrows
The way you have constructed that letter is great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now