Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to worry about men b vaccine

(19 Posts)
Glittered Tue 26-Jul-16 07:39:41

later today my dd has her first jabs and a friend has made me worry as she said when her dd had first jabs a few months ago she was really unwell for three days with a raging temp . I'm so worried about it but I know she has to have it done just looking for some support

waitingforsomething Tue 26-Jul-16 07:47:25

It can cause a fever but it is highly preferable to meningitis. Vaccinations are a bit crap at the time but overall a brilliant thing. Don't fret OP, she might have no fever at all and just need a few extra cuddles or it might be a long night or two but you'll both be okay :-)

Whitelisbon Tue 26-Jul-16 07:47:55

My dd is 4 months, so she's had both of her men b vaccines, and she was perfectly fine after both of them, not even a slight fever, so try not to worry.
Even if she gets a little poorly, surely that's much better than catching men b?
Honestly, it's normal to worry about these things, everyone does, but there's a good chance she'll be perfectly fine.

Graceflorrick Tue 26-Jul-16 07:50:46

I'd be more worried about your DC contracting men B itself.

My DD was fine just make sure you give the doses of calpol. The nurse should give the first one. My tips are:
--Ask the nurse for a syringe. The one in the calpol is difficult to use and you end up shooting more into the mouth than the baby can handle (you can also try a bottle teat if the syringe doesn't work)
--make sure you have a quiet rest of the day for cuddles. Your DD will probably be sleepy
--Do not give calpol straight after food. It can make them sick.
--Give the second dose 4hrs after the first one then see if you can get the 3rd dose at 6hr

Try not and stress about it. Your DD will pick up on you being worried. My DD screamed after hers but a quick cuddle settled her down vary quickly. My DD was fine the next day but you can give calpol for a few days if your DD doesn't go back to normal. The nurse will give you (or should give you) and information leaflet.

Good luck and make sure you have something nice in the house for you flowers

DoctorDonnaNoble Tue 26-Jul-16 07:54:48

The advice with the men b one is to take some calpol to address the fever as close to the jabs as possible. As a previous poster has said, the injection is definitely preferable to meningitis.
My little one's first injections were horrendous. Couldn't get the calpol in and he screamed the place down. They even advised to stay in the surgery to calm him down. I was very anxious about everything at the time and he used to cry the minute he was in the over heated waiting room at the doctors. However, second and third jabs he was a dream patient. A little bit of crying but big smiles for the nurses almost straight away.
He was then a bit lethargic and 'off colour' for a couple of days. We did have to miss his NCT group meet though on the day of his first jabs.
In conclusion, it will, most probably be absolutely fine. smile

strawberrypenguin Tue 26-Jul-16 07:56:22

It will be fine, DS2 had his last week. They do recommend you give calpol as soon as possible after the jab (I actually have DS his just before hand) as its known the men b jab causes a high temperature. It is then recommend that you give 2 further doses of calpol 4 hours apart from each other as standard - the practice nurse should talk you through all this anyway

SoloD Tue 26-Jul-16 07:57:10

In 2014 a friend of mine had Meningitis, it very nearly killed her, as it was she was in an induced coma for 2 weeks and she has still not fully recovered from it.

And last year a baby of another friend was hopsitalised with Meningitis, though they made a full recover it was very scary for the parents as you can well imagine.

Yes jabs can be painful, but vaccinations have saved millions of lives from death or disfiguring illness.

SoloD Tue 26-Jul-16 07:58:57

Oh, put perfectly normal to worry about anything which your child will find painful. I feel guilty about it even though I know it's the best thing for them.

BringingYoniBack Tue 26-Jul-16 08:12:18

The fever goes down, control it with calpol. DD screamed for 48 hours but it's far preferable to meningitis.

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 26-Jul-16 08:15:23

My DD was fine with hers-the third set at 16 weeks were the ones that made her the grumpiest.

mrsmortis Tue 26-Jul-16 08:23:27

My DDs (4 and 7) are going in today for the second dose of meg b (we're paying because they are too old to get it on the NHS). DD2 did have a fever following the first dose. But we gave her a dose or two of calpol and lots of cuddles and she was fine.

My MIL had meningitis a decade ago. And I'd much rather my DD2 had a fever for a couple of days now than go through what she did. She was in intensive care for weeks in an induced coma. We were very, very lucky not to loose her. It was scary enough that I am willing to pay the hundreds needed to get the jabs privately for my DDs.

DesignedForLife Tue 26-Jul-16 09:11:04

TBH three days of fever (which is an unusual reaction) is better than getting Men B.

My brother had meningitis B. He was dead 6 hours after first recognisable symptoms.

c3pu Tue 26-Jul-16 10:26:32

Vaccinations... Better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have had them.

peneleope82 Tue 26-Jul-16 11:16:14

My first baby had his when he was 1 privately - 12 hours later he had a v high fever, vomited a few times and was quite unhappy. Was fine within a day.

My second baby had it at 8 and 16 weeks as per the new NHS schedule - nothing with the 8 week one, mild fever with the 16 week one that went away with calpol.

Kids all react differently to it but will pass fairly quickly. I can understand why you're worried but no reaction will be as bad as meningitis, as others have said.

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Tue 26-Jul-16 11:23:50

Whatever reaction happens, it will blow over on a day or 2. A few months ago, a child less than 2 died of meningitis in my town. If she was born a few months later, she would of had the jabs. it's an absolutely awful disease. The child went from healthy to passing in 6 hours. Absolutely tragic.

Isetan Tue 26-Jul-16 11:30:36

Isn't there a risk of fever and feeling unwell with most immunisations? Even if your DD did experience the same symptoms as your friend's child, it still would be a cake walk compared to the condition she's being immunised against.

Are you usually this anxious?

Glittered Tue 26-Jul-16 11:39:25

Are you usually this rude?
Apart from that person, thankyou to everyone else she had them now and is sleeping

Glad she is fine. My DD actually (because of the calpol) was better at 8 and 16 weeks. I had to give her 1 does of calpol at the 12 week one as she was off.

The babies won't remember it. It's harder for us as parents than it is. Just remember that your DD is fine on the next 2 sets and try to remain calm as like I said before, they do pick up on our emotions about these.

Have a cuppa and cake and enjoy the few hours of rest your DD will probably have.

Not sure if the nurse mentioned it but the rotorix (sp?) can give them a bit of tummy upset so you may see DD lift her legs towards her tummy and her poops maybe a bit different for a day or so

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now