what's an acceptable time to drill in your house?

(14 Posts)
Ifiwasabadger Mon 25-Jul-16 19:53:29

I say 8 pm absolute latest. What say you?

TalcAndTurnips Mon 25-Jul-16 19:57:11

Are you going to hang that picture for me?

Ta ever so. 8pm would be fine.

MollyRedskirts Mon 25-Jul-16 19:58:13

7pm here, but our neighbours have a newborn so I wouldn't do it any later.

Ifiwasabadger Mon 25-Jul-16 19:58:20

Chuckling. I actually think 8 is a little late but I'm trying to let my inner Monica go....

Ifiwasabadger Mon 25-Jul-16 20:00:05

Interesting Molly. It's currently 11 pm and my neighbours are drilling without a care in the world. They started at 9. We have a two year old.

tibbawyrots Mon 25-Jul-16 20:03:36

Well we generally start marching at 7pm and take it from there. On Sunday's we drill in full ceremonial uniform. wink

TalcAndTurnips Mon 25-Jul-16 20:04:52

Wait until they have retired to bed and then give them a performance they won't forget.

TalcAndTurnips Mon 25-Jul-16 20:09:37

HermioneJeanGranger Mon 25-Jul-16 20:10:19

I would say 8pm is the cut-off. I get people have to work and sometimes you can't do it during the day, but I think it's really rude to interrupt everyone's evenings with DIY. Once in a blue moon is fine, but we used to have neighbours who were renovating a garage and they were always sawing, drilling or hammering in the evenings.

It drove me ever-so-slightly insane.

Artandco Mon 25-Jul-16 20:12:14

I think 9pm. Remember some people aren't home from work much before then.

Also 9pm isn't that late for bed for any age and still allows people to sleep

If your my neighbor then apparently until 1am is acceptable knowing we have a newborn in the room which joins my house the bastards
I would say it depends on the circumstances but up to 8 would be reasonable

MrsHathaway Mon 25-Jul-16 20:23:55

DH is fucking drilling now. We are semi-detached. Fortunately we are on very good terms with NDN who are equally noisy and have no small children. Never fucking mind that I wanted the DC in bed by now.

As a rule I'd say 8-8 is ok and 9-6 is preferable. Abstaining completely when next door has a newborn is neighbourly!

CakeNinja Mon 25-Jul-16 20:24:43

I'd definitely not be happy if my neighbours were drilling at 10pm or later.
Their DC and bloody noisy and are up screaming and shouting, having tantrums etc until 10pm, often later. They have on many occasions kept my DC awake (they go to bed at 8:30, lights out at 9 during school time), but I have never gone round and complained, I figure it's part of living in a semi and therefore best to let it lie.
We have parties in the garden at the weekends, not every weekend but certainly one a month during the warmer weather, so probably twice a year, and invite them (they always decline), but music goes off at 11 for the benefit of everyone and party continues inside.
It's hard having neighbours sometimes!
11pm drilling would piss me off but again, I wouldn't say anything as I know my attached neighbours work shifts, not the 'conventional' 9-5 (like many others huh?) and so aren't always around at times I would find convenient for them to do their DIY.

crazywriter Mon 25-Jul-16 20:25:03

We were doing work at unsociable hours last month because we were getting the place ready for a check out inspection. I'd spoken to our neighbour with the adjoining wall though to make her aware that it needed to be done and was a once off. Wed been there 2 years and she knew wed only do it late if really necessary. If it wasn't for moving out and getting the house back to the way it was before we moved in (and due to work limitations in the month leading global up to it) we wouldn't have even considered anything after 8pm. I didn't like doing it as it was but once in a blue moonI would say is acceptable with some warning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now