Talk

Advanced search

If you are vegetarian or vegan - what do you eat ?

(252 Posts)
Pisssssedofff Mon 25-Jul-16 16:35:40

DD 1 has gone veggie and gone up a dress size, basically because she's having pasta at every meal, cereal for breakfast and nothing for lunch, far too much fruit juice and scoffing 6 apples a day too.
She won't eat eggs - any suggestions it's driving me insane, I don't think she really likes vegetables if we are honest.

Champagneformyrealfriends Mon 25-Jul-16 16:36:27

How old is she? Will she way quorn or tofu?

Champagneformyrealfriends Mon 25-Jul-16 16:36:33

Eat*

humblesims Mon 25-Jul-16 16:38:43

Being a vegetarian isnt rocket science. You just need to replace meat with a different non animal based protein. Like quorn or tofu or lentils etc. Apart from that her diet should be the same as a non vegetarian.

Pisssssedofff Mon 25-Jul-16 16:39:22

She's 16 - I've made spag Bol - I won't lie with quorn and mince - I couldn't be arsed and she wolfed it down like she'd never been fed, which she hasn't really for a month

ItWentInMyEye Mon 25-Jul-16 16:40:21

Will she have jacket potatoes/lasagne made with quorn mince/shepherds pie/chilli & rice etc?

humblesims Mon 25-Jul-16 16:41:11

sounds like youre not taking it very seriously then. If she's sixteen then maybe she should cook her own meals if you cant be arsed

Amelie10 Mon 25-Jul-16 16:41:14

Sounds like a fad she's on. What are her reasons for suddenly decide to change? As she's 16 she can get involved in preparing her own meals. There's a wealth of recipes online, she can have a look and get inspiration.

Pisssssedofff Mon 25-Jul-16 16:41:41

She doesn't like rice, doesn't like sweet potatos, my worry with the weight gain is that she's gone very very carby lately

Pauperback Mon 25-Jul-16 16:41:54

What humble said. Being vegetarian isn't a pasta diet! The only challenge is that getting protein from non-meat sources sometimes involves more work/preparation, soaking or cooking - she needs to be eating pulses and beans, tofu, eggs, leafy green vegetables and vegetables of all kinds.

NattyTile Mon 25-Jul-16 16:42:31

You made it with meat and told her it was veggie? Seriously?

Why on earth couldn't you just have done the quote and the mince separately?

Is she vegan or veggie? Not sure quorn is vegan is it?

Assuming she's veggie, then veggie proteins which avoid eggs would be quorn, soya, lentils, chick peas and other pulses, quinoa, cheese, and nuts.

Pisssssedofff Mon 25-Jul-16 16:43:11

I work full time and have other kids, I can't be arsed no I won't lie, a veggie, who doesn't like vegetables and if I say cook your own food she won't, which I don't like. It's tricky

Pisssssedofff Mon 25-Jul-16 16:44:05

She won't eat eggs or diary so I guess that's vegan or heading that way

DoJo Mon 25-Jul-16 16:45:19

Veg risotto - I do several versions including butternut squash, asparagus with runner beans, peas and spinach and one with an array of mushrooms. Any of these can be made with bulgur wheat instead of five which is a bit less of a glycemic load.
I have a lot of salads in this weather, with feta or haloumi or bulked out a bit with pulses.
For something a bit easier, there are loads of 'ready meal' type things that can be added to vegetables and sweet potato or celeriac fries, things like Tesco risotto burgers, haloumi spring roll type things etc.
I also make an awesome break and pepper chili which can include as much veg as you like all mixed up with cannellini beans, kidney beans, haricot beans and any other pulses you want to add.
What does she like?

ThinkPinkStink Mon 25-Jul-16 16:46:52

I won't lie with quorn and mince ...well aren't you a treat?

As pp have mentioned, for ease you can just swap the meat for another protein - I'm not vegetarian but eat a low-meat diet, and often swap mince for mushrooms + green lentils, or chicken for haloumi, or ham in a salad for goats cheese. It's not tricky.

And there are plenty of vegetarian dishes which are delicious for non vegetarians... if you could just get into it a bit...

Pisssssedofff Mon 25-Jul-16 16:47:13

She won't eat rice risotto is out which is annoying because we'd all eat that !
I'm not sure about chilli that might be an option, I think I need things I can batch cook ideally.

MrsPickwick Mon 25-Jul-16 16:48:09

Right, so you fed her meat. What a shit thing to do biscuit

I've been vegan five or six years, currently seven months pregnant. I eat a varied diet, am a healthy weight, and I'm not sure I understand the problem you're describing. You could try looking on websites like Vegan in the Freezer or Deliciously Ella etc for ideas.

scurryfunge Mon 25-Jul-16 16:50:02

I would get her a vegetarian cookbook and get her involved in meal planning and encourage her to start making her own. She will have to soon anyway. I love cooking for my veggie mum and sister and cook stuff very similar to DoJo.

steff13 Mon 25-Jul-16 16:50:25

I'm not sure I understand the problem you're describing.

My brother is a vegetarian, and when he first stopped eating meat he gained a ton of weight because he didn't really like vegetables. So he ate tons of pasta, bread, cheese, etc. I think that's the same problem the OP is describing.

He now eats lots of vegetables and has slimmed down quite a bit.

Pisssssedofff Mon 25-Jul-16 16:50:48

I fed her meat because she hadn't eaten a meal that didn't contain pasta, veg and cheese for nearly a month ! And she rarely finished them so clearly not a fan.
It was affecting every aspect of her life.

originaldoozy Mon 25-Jul-16 16:50:54

If you don't want to support her dietary decisions by providing appropriate balanced meals, without resorting to tricking her into eating meat (gobsmacked) .... then don't. 16 years old is plenty old enough to learn more about food, cooking, eating healthily and planning meals she will like. If she is really dedcated to being vegetarian or vegan then she will put in that effort. She will of course still need some support from you in terms of being taught how to cook things, what is healthy and what isn't.

I turned vegetarian at he age of 7 and Mum made me go along and do the shoppig with her from a young age, with me eventually helping to plan and cook my meals from about the age of 12/13.

humblesims Mon 25-Jul-16 16:50:55

At sixteen she is old enough to cook for herself and if she wont then she will have to eat what you offer. But dont lie about whether there is meat in the dish.

MadamDeathstare Mon 25-Jul-16 16:53:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PeaceOfWildThings Mon 25-Jul-16 16:54:14

Try a small spiriliser to make courgette 'spagetti'.
Use spinach and onions and spices instead of the carb side of a main meal.

Try replacing some milk or yogurts or cheese with vegan versions (low fat, higher protein ones).

Try 0 fat yogurts.

More salad, less bread/pasta.

Have crispbread and low fat soft cheese, celery to dip in low fat houmous, as quick snacks instead of bread or fruit snacks. Banish smoothies and crisps and. ration cheese!

Pisssssedofff Mon 25-Jul-16 16:54:28

The soy worries me too Madam, I'm sure I've read it's not good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now