Talk

Advanced search

To feel a bit sad when..

(5 Posts)
FuzzyLittleBumbleBee Sun 24-Jul-16 19:23:46

Children believe there are "girls toys" and "boys toys"?

We had our nephew (5) to stay this weekend and he refused to play with some of DD's toys because they're "girls toys". Refused to eat off certain plates & use certain cups because they're "for girls".

It just makes me feel a bit sad that such young children are being made to think like this. They should be able to express themselves in whatever way they want whether that means little girls playing with cars and trucks or little boys playing with dolls and prams.

Aibu to be bothered by this?

ateapotandacake Sun 24-Jul-16 19:30:12

YANBU I get really sad about the gender-ing of toys!
However I read a really interesting article that as children grow up they go through a phase of really needing to conform to the absolute norm: and they really play to the gender stereotypes they can see. So the girls won't do anything they consider 'boyish' and vice versa.
However I would also ask what example they're being given. Are their parents exposing them to the idea that there are boys and girls things?
My mum is obsessed with my son wearing 'boy clothes' and having 'boy toys' and she makes annoying comments about it but she does it a bit to wind me up whereas my partner and I are being more neutral about it all.

bluecashmere Sun 24-Jul-16 20:34:54

I've found that whatever kind of example you try to set at home the other children at nursery or school ensure that the stereotypes win through! It's sad but there seems to be no way to avoid it.

Haggisfish Sun 24-Jul-16 20:37:34

I agree with blue-we are as gender neutral as possible and still my daughter talks about boys and girls colours etc. Always correct her though!

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Sun 24-Jul-16 20:38:57

It is a bit pants. I was so proud of my 4yo dd the other day. Her friend (who is a boy) said to her - 'but that's a pink cup, it's for girls!' She replied 'it's just a colour, anyway, I like yellow!'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now