Advanced search

To be really confused about NVQs

(32 Posts)
justnotaballetmum Sun 24-Jul-16 08:47:02

Every time a promotion comes up in my line of work I can't go for it, because I don't have an NVQ, but I can't get an NVQ because I have a degree!

Bizarre question but I would appreciate anybody who might know the answer telling me how I can obtain an NVQ! hmm

Ashamedtoadmittothis Sun 24-Jul-16 08:48:33

Nvq's are to show you have reached a level of competency in a practical subject like care or hairdressing or plumbing

Ashamedtoadmittothis Sun 24-Jul-16 08:49:15

As for applying you should be able to if you're self funding it however most are gained on the job

justnotaballetmum Sun 24-Jul-16 08:50:41

I know what they are for! I just don't know how to actually obtain one.

insancerre Sun 24-Jul-16 08:51:07

You would have to pay for it yourself
Is your degree not in the same field?
I would much rather have a staff member with a degree than an nvq

GraciesMansion Sun 24-Jul-16 08:52:10

I'm sure you can have NVQs and a degree. My dh has a PhD and got a NVQ a couple of years ago, related to his job, funded by the company he works for.

SweetPea79 Sun 24-Jul-16 08:52:39

You can get a NVQ if you have a degree, who said you can't? I have an NVQ in one subject and a degree in another.

justnotaballetmum Sun 24-Jul-16 08:53:12

No, my degree isn't in the same field.

I don't mind paying really it's just the actual logistics.

Smoothyloopy Sun 24-Jul-16 08:53:32

Having a degree doesn't stop you from getting an NVQ, I have both. An NVQ is a practical qualification showing a level of competence within a specific subject or job. Some NVQ's can only be obtained within a job setting & there for you need to get into the job & your employer would provide the training etc. Others can be achieved within a college setting & a place in college would be required. It all depends what area you would like to work in.

insancerre Sun 24-Jul-16 08:53:50

You can't get funding to do an nvq if you hold a degree

justnotaballetmum Sun 24-Jul-16 08:53:59

But the thing is, most NVQs are organised through work. So if I am organising one myself, how do I go about it? smile

Kenduskeag Sun 24-Jul-16 08:56:22

Ask your local college?

Have your work refused to arrange it through their own system? It'd be better to be learning it on the job than having to squeeze in college classes.

insancerre Sun 24-Jul-16 08:56:23

You can do nvqs through lots of online providers and also at college
Learn direct are a major company in the field

FruitCider Sun 24-Jul-16 08:58:14

Ask your work to organise it and offer to pay?

justnotaballetmum Sun 24-Jul-16 08:58:39

Thanks very much for that link smile

I have tried to ring my college but never get an answer! hmm

LadyMumble Sun 24-Jul-16 08:59:19

Checking your local colleges would be a good place to start, see if they do the course or courses that you are interested in. Once you have the details you could present to your boss as being relevant training for your professional development, if there is a funding stream available to support professional learning and development then they may be able to finance or part finance the course. I have a degree and have also completed an NVQ post graduation via the OU, funded by my employer. Good luck with your plans.

justnotaballetmum Sun 24-Jul-16 09:00:19

I can't see any NVQs on that link?

Fruit, unlikely. It's a bit chaotic and I want to leave and work somewhere else. But I have no NVQ!

LIZS Sun 24-Jul-16 09:02:07

You definitely don't have to do it through work although you may need relevant experience to pass some of the assessments. It could be tricky if you work ft to do it via your local fe college , unless work will release you for the sessions, so online may work better for you. Most fe colleges will currently be less active than later in the summer. Might be worth emailing first and asking for an appointment to go in.

GuruDal Sun 24-Jul-16 09:03:18

Download the prospectus from all local colleges.

justnotaballetmum Sun 24-Jul-16 09:07:07

I think I've found the one I need on the leardirect website - and I think I would be entitled to a loan, only repayable when I am earning over £21,000 p/a smile

LIZS Sun 24-Jul-16 09:10:42

If it is an advanced learning loan you may find your degree means you can't get one.

justnotaballetmum Sun 24-Jul-16 09:11:58

Maybe. I can still pay in instalments though?

justnotaballetmum Sun 24-Jul-16 09:13:03

It doesn't mention anything about my degree being a potential problem, but then that doesn't mean it isn't.

I wish I'd never got my degree, at times! hmm

sleepyhippo Sun 24-Jul-16 09:18:59

I think I remember you from another thread OP, you work in care yes?

I'm a health and social care assessor for diplomas smile

You won't be able to obtain government funding for L2 or L3 diplomas if you have a degree. However you can either ask for your work to fund you (which may be unlikely) or pay for it yourself. If you pay for it yourself you still need your workplaces go ahead as its vocational and based partly on work performance your assessor will need to come on site to observe you. However as you are funding it and it's great for your development they shouldn't have a problem with it.

Prices vary I think but expect to pay somewhere between 2-3000. I would go straight to L3 if you are funding it privately. It works similar to uni in that you pay it back once you earn over a certain threshold.

Hope that helps!

Lucyccfc Sun 24-Jul-16 09:19:12

Doing an NVQ (they are called Diploma's nowadays, not NVQ) is difficult if it is not related to the job you, as it is worked based learning.

The assessments for this type of qualification are based on the evidence you produce in work, so for example, if it is business admin, you would need to be assessed/observed doing something related to the units in the NVQ. If it is care, then you would be observed delivering care to a patient or resident. If it is engineering, you would be assessed on something you have designed in the drawing office.

You can do an NVQ at college, but it's sometimes difficult to show your 'competence' if you are not in the workplace.

There has not been government funding for NVQ's for about 6 years. The funding is now for a while apprenticeship framework, which is the NVQ, a technical qualification (like a BTEC) and maths and English functional skills. All this is changing in April 2017.

The government will only fund apprenticeship frameworks (2/3 funding) if an employer has an annual salary bill of less than £3 million. Any employer that has an annual wage bill,of more than that, will have to pay for these qualifications themselves through a levy. The levy is paid through the tax the company pays.

If your organisation has to pay the levy, they will want to spend it on qualifications for its staff, or after 18 months they lose the money they have paid in. Worth talking to your employer about this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now