Talk

Advanced search

To wish the family would eat only cold food for the near future.

(14 Posts)
ShtoppenDerFloppen Sat 23-Jul-16 23:32:22

I live in the most humid area in Canada. Recently, we have been in a warm spell with temperatures above 35*C (before humidity is factored in - they say it feels like the mid-40s with humidity - I just say it is bloody hot, with air you can wear).

I know the family needs to eat, and perhaps refusing to cook any food until mid-September is a bit extreme, but my family won't perish eating only ice cream, ice lollies, sandwiches and fruit, will they?

WorraLiberty Sat 23-Jul-16 23:38:31

It's bloody hot too here in London and we're just not used to it.

I would happily live on cold meats and salads but DH and our DC, still seem to want cooked meals.

It's not a problem at the moment as DH has 3 weeks off work, so he sorts the cooking and I kick back with a cold salad and coleslaw grin

Mind you, I couldn't do without my Sunday roast so we're off to an air conditioned carvery tomorrow.

Sorry, I've waffled. I meant to say YANBU blush

Wolfiefan Sat 23-Jul-16 23:40:57

So not unreasonable.
I have got away with roasted chicken and salad and bread.
Wraps. They assemble themselves.
Pizza.
Slow cooker meals.
Party food.
Worra you want to move out West! I remember the fug of London summers. shock

Amy214 Sat 23-Jul-16 23:44:10

YANBU I hate eating food when its hot im not as hungry when its cold weather, i prefer to eat food like salads maybe some pasta dishes. I would be happy with it! My dd would be happy eating ice cream all day grin

crazywriter Sat 23-Jul-16 23:45:52

You must be in or near the same part of canada as us. We've cooked but only because we've had to. It's been as little as possible though. Yadnbu.

ShtoppenDerFloppen Sat 23-Jul-16 23:52:21

We are about 20 km from Pelee Island... somewhere near Satan's buttcrack, if recent weather is any hint, crazy writer

FoundNeverland Sat 23-Jul-16 23:56:09

On Monday, the hottest day of the year by miles, my daughter wanted mashed potato! She was most offended when I refused to make it.

Onedaftmonkey Sat 23-Jul-16 23:57:37

What's wrong with cold meat and salads? So long as it's varied and you chuck a couple of semi hot meals in every now and then. Like one poster said fahijtas and salad. Cold meat bread and salad. Jacket potatoes and salad. Even spaghetti and salad. Just so long as you don't have to slave over a hot stove all day. Good luck ☺

eachtigertires Sun 24-Jul-16 00:00:10

I am also in Canada (where it is 35 degrees plus). I recommend barbecuing. Keeps the heat outside where it belongs! Lots of things you can bbq including corn on the cob and salad/fruit is cold and can be made inside.

WorraLiberty Sun 24-Jul-16 00:00:12

I don't mind it too much Wolfie because it's rare for it to be this hot, but if it was a regular thing, yes I probably would have to move.

Then again if it was a regular thing, we'd all probably have air conditioned houses grin

<< Looks lovingly at ancient ceiling fan >>

Mrsfrumble Sun 24-Jul-16 00:30:46

We're in the southern USA and my children are living on sandwiches and fruit (and ice lollies) at the moment. I try and vary the fillings so they don't end up malnourished, but they don't really want to eat and I certainly don't to cook. Our kitchen is west-facing so is really not a fun place to be in the late afternoon.

MrHannahSnell Sun 24-Jul-16 02:11:12

When I was a kid, when the thermometer hit 73F DM would only serve salads and cold food. If you didn't like it, then fix your own dinner was her response.

Garbadgeman Sun 24-Jul-16 02:26:40

I'm in the same boat, our house is a sweat box and the (tiny) kitchen is the worst room, I'm in the UK so it's not as hot as Canada OP but still feels unbearable to cook or eat hot food at home. We're managing on salads, sandwiches and more meals out than is strictly reasonable blush It's not really a problem when it's just me, DH and DD as we all love salads but DSC come twice a week and that's proving a challenge as neither of them will touch it so I'm really struggling for cold options they will eat.

crazywriter Sun 24-Jul-16 02:50:10

shtoppen definitely not too far. We've just moved here from the UK so first time really getting used to living in it and not just going on holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now